Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey everyone! I thought it'd be nice to have a single spot to talk about the Pixel Myth resource packs, both released and yet to come. Feel free to ask questions, comment on it, give tips on how to use it better, or even make requests.

Pixel Myth Packs currently available:

Pixel Myth Packs in the works:

Germania Character Pack
Corsair​
Some other Pixel Myth things can be found on my resource thread and sometimes show up in Members+.

FAQ:

Q: What sprites should I use with the Pixel Myth tiles?
A: The tiles were made to go with sprites that are one and a half tiles high. Some of the more common sprites with that size are Mack, Looseleaf, XP, and the XP/Ace blends.

Q: Could I use this with (insert tile pack name here)?
A: Pixel Myth is it's own style, not meant to work with any other existing packs. With some careful editing a few tiles here and there might work from other pixel tiles like XP and DS, but most of the time it won't. It does not work with Ace's RTP.

Q: Will you be making tiles based on (insert theme here)?
A: Probably. My list is long and I want to make lots of very diverse tiles. I'm trying to get other artists to make stuff in the same style too so that you guys can have them more quickly.

Q: How do I get the rounded corners on the autotiles like in the example maps?
A: Use the rounded corners on the A5 sheet, making sure to hold shift. The rounder corners for the water tiles are a bit different, since they're animated. Those have to be done with events.
Q: I can't find tiles that match one of the example maps!
A: It's probably a parallaxed map.  It's there to show the set pushed to the extremes of what's possible, not to show exactly what tiles are available.  If you're good at editing tiles you should be able to recreate it.  If not, I'm sorry, that example map was made to be an example for something you won't be using.

Q: Will there be an update to make these tiles compatible with MV's resource standards?
A: No.  Resizing pixel art takes at least as much effort as drawing it all over again, sometimes more.  If you wish to use Pyxel Myth with MV you'll need to resize them and lose the pixel art quality or use a plugin to change the tile size to 32x32.
Tips:
The smaller XP and DS objects work pretty well in PM if you turn down the brightness by 35 and bring up the contrast by 50. (Photoshop terms, not sure how it works in other programs.) This won't work for everything though, both sets have a higher color count and use a lot of dithering, which PM does not. The DS tiles also use a different scale.

Many interior tiles from the Liberated Pixel Cup work with Pixel Myth, they mostly just need a bit of color tweaking. Not all of them though, LPC has a much more cartoony style that doesn't always match, and this is especially obvious with exterior tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yay your own thread! Is this a good time to ask about your progress on the Character Pack and Corsair?

Will we get to see previews? :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sure, I can give you an update! No previews yet though, neither one is at a point where I can do that.

For the character pack I've been focusing on finishing the sprite bases. I thought I was done and then decided they needed to work in 8 directions. They may still need a little tweaking but there are now 3 body types, man woman and child.

Corsair is being a pain. What I've got so far looks fantastic but took forever to get right and I'm finding it hard to get good reference pictures for the ships. Right now it's just some sand, ocean, and the start of a wooden sailing ship. Not even enough for a decent mockup. :(

Still no ETA on either. I realized recently that despite my best efforts I'd still burned myself out. I'm currently working on a non Pixel Myth pack to break things up. It shouldn't be too long until I'm excited to work on PM again.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
sadly I don't get the chance to see the tiles so I can't give a proper opinion! 

but I do love your works pixels and such 

for a good suggestion I still think a corsair extention will be a awesome idea

I also suggest you to go ditch into french history they have gorgeous design and offert a lot of variety 

howewer you need to not mistake Victorian and french era they are similar but totally different

French are far more Neo Gothic and dark then the victorian building structure.

and where england victorian is less influenced by the church the

Gothic french  is totally influenced by the church works! 

both are beautiful and merit atention~

and if you want to jump into the corsair I suggest you to check to the Spain era they offer gorgeous sample of ship 

spain ship was really a beautiful piece of work!

so I hope my suggestion seem interesting and can be helpful! 

so Nio out's~

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I was thinking about doing a bit of Spanish architecture for Corsair, since Spain had such a big influence on the golden age of piracy. It depends though, I'll be doing a lot of ship tiles, including modern ones, and they may end up being enough on their own.

Once Corsair is done I'll probably end up doing something really different, like Modern or Egyptian or something. It means the packs won't work together as well, but it also means that I won't get bored. When I'm up to doing that sort of thing though, I think a set inspired by the Baroque period would be fun.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
egyptian seem noticeable and good

Baroque?  I just googled some of the architecture and ...this gorgeous! this will make a good really good pack if you do it with the baroques full of details and colors!

Mesopotamia Era seem also noticeable to ditch in it for admit they are far near of the Egyptian but offer variety!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Will it ever be possible to get the member+ stuff for pixel myth?

And I think so, too, that spanish architecture will go well with the corsair pack.

I don't know, if I would make something modern. I think, people who bought the first pixel myth pack will expect something that goes well with it and are looking to expand things. I would be happy for just a germania+ pack or a dungeon add-on. On the other hand, I'm reeeally curious about a modern pack in pixel myth style, for like adventures or horror/mystery games. Mostly mystery :D Lonely motels, dark bridges, forgotten gasstation, old morgue. dayum it, now I want a modern pack ;)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yay! I'm excited to see this thread! And very excited to see that you are working on sprites to go with!

I would love to see in a new pack interior pieces that could universally be used - lamps/other light sources are one thing specifically that I can think of that was needed, that could easily cross tilesets I would think. If I think of other pieces that would be flexible, I'll mention them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Will it ever be possible to get the member+ stuff for pixel myth?
Yes. Anything I release into Members+ I'll either include in a later pack or make it a permanent Members+ perk. Haven't decided which yet.

Pixel Myth was never meant to be a purely fantasy/historical set of packs. I have every intention of not only making modern stuff, but also Sci-Fi stuff. This is the pack for boats, so skipping out on modern ones just because other modern tiles aren't out yet would be sad. I'm trying to set things up so that they can be still used together, there will be plenty of historical tiles too.

It's okay to suggest things that really should have been included in the Germania pack as well. I was planning on doing an update for it once I finished the XP version of the set. It'll have a few other updates as well, like a counter. I can't believe I forgot to make one before.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ah, I see. So you will make modern boats, too?

And great to hear, we can get the pixel myth member+ stuff in the future. :)

Was there a snow version? I only saw some autumn variations in a screenshot.

I really love the way how you arranged the fences, haven't seen fence autotiles like this before.

I'm wondering for which tiles the shadows on the E tileset are.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really hope my post didn't come across as "you didn't do enough". The pack is amazing and I know there is only so much that you can get into a set. The lights were just something that I realized "oh this would be nice to have too". I would absolutely pay for an add-on pack or a new pack that had additional pieces in it.

Keep up the great work Sharm!

Seu joão

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I bought your first pack at steam its very good,Keep the good work and ill keep buying  :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Candacis: Yep, and modern dock elements too. Yeah, it's just the fall stuff right now in Members+. Releases are usually done in themes. I should send the snow tiles in so they can be included in the next release. Those E tiles are for anything you want to use them for, I just find the default shadow tool way too square. The wiggly ones are specifically for the cliffs. The fence autotile? You mean the small ones? They're just set up the usual way. They're really short though, so that's why I made both those and the taller ones in D. Ace's autotiles are really set up for the short sprites.

@Mlogan: No, you're fine! I love recommendations like that, I find it a really useful form of feedback in more than one way.

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This pack is just stunning, I love it and can't wait for more!

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know about everyone, but I'm particularly excited about the idea of modern and futuristic content in the Pixel Myth style :)

Don't burn yourself out, Sharm! I know how awful that can be. Take your time and go ahead when you're inspired!

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I do really love this tileset, it takes a little getting used to, its very right-click orientated. I did this to get a feel for it. No parallax, just the editor and a shadow and light overlay.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hey, there are some tiles that I saw in this screenshot from the product page and I can't find them in the resource pack:

myth_tiles.png

Totally possible that I overlooked something and I'm just blind. I can find parts of those tiles, for instance the flowers, but not that exact same tile.

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, there are some tiles that I saw in this screenshot from the product page and I can't find them in the resource pack:

myth_tiles.png

Totally possible that I overlooked something and I'm just blind. I can find parts of those tiles, for instance the flowers, but not that exact same tile.
Parallax folder?

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
My parallax folder only includes 3 water frames. Am I missing tiles in there? What tiles do you have in there?

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
ah, yeah you're right ... member+ maybe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Me and brother have an ongoing rivalry. We constantly fight for the High Score in Galaga on our arcade cabinet. Today I take back the top with 239,000. He'll be back. (No-Fire glitch is banned)
Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor