Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nah, Celianna made that parallax map for me, she put those together herself. I can make sure my version of those tiles end up in the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Oh.. okay. Well, I find it a bit questionable having an advertising screenshot with edited tiles that are not included in the resource pack. Not everyone can reproduce those edits themselves. I think, this is one of the dangers using heavy parallax in product page screenshots. It suggests that there are more tiles in a pack than actually are.

I would appreciate having those tiles in an update.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Candacis: I decided to use it as an example of the set taken to extreme, and that's also why I made sure there was only one that wasn't done with the editor, to make the differences more obvious. I wouldn't have used it if I hadn't felt it was obvious that it was parallaxed, but I can see why it bothers you.

Okay, so I'm specifically working on an update for Germania today. Let me know if there's anything any of you feel is really missing from the set and I'll see if I agree and can fit it in. Let's see, already on the list, counters, square tables, separated versions of some things for easy parallax, gabled windows, bay windows, wall decorations like weapons and banners.

CupcakeDreamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There is a chimney in that first parallax image. I'd like it and a Glass wall that's a 90 degrees. And I know I am forgetting stuff that can be seen in that image. Please add them.

Thanx in advance.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure what you mean by the chimney, there are 3 included in the set, and it doesn't look like Celi modified them at all for her parallaxed image.

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Giant apricots! ... wait, no, just what we already discussed. ^_^

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thanks for your response, sharm. I think, for you, it is very easy to see what is made with parallax and what not, since you know the set in and out, but for someone who doesn't know the set at all, it might be hard to differentiate between an included tile or tiles that were made specifically for this map.

Great to hear that you will make an update! Right now I'm at my family and don't have access to the tileset to look over it again, so I can't make good suggestions. I would just be happy with the gabled windows and the 90degree glass window walls that were in the parallax map. Everything else I would consider a great bonus.

CupcakeDreamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry, My bad. The roof with a window. The south-east building has 3 facing camera and 3 facing away.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your response, sharm. I think, for you, it is very easy to see what is made with parallax and what not, since you know the set in and out, but for someone who doesn't know the set at all, it might be hard to differentiate between an included tile or tiles that were made specifically for this map.

Great to hear that you will make an update! Right now I'm at my family and don't have access to the tileset to look over it again, so I can't make good suggestions. I would just be happy with the gabled windows and the 90degree glass window walls that were in the parallax map. Everything else I would consider a great bonus.
Basically the screenshots are there to sell the pack - not specifically to show everything that is in the pack. I made a parallax map created with just the material Sharm provided me, especially someone like you who edits heavily from existing work, this should be a piece of cake for you to replicate what I did. All I showed was; "This is the kind of map you can create with the material."

Remember, screenshots are there to sell a product. Much like people Photoshop models on the cover of magazines.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have to admit, though, that when you show a screenshot for selling the tiles, it's important to note if something is not included. I get the parallel with models on covers of magazines, but you're not selling the model, then; you're selling the magazine. It's inconsequential if the model is real or not. A more apt analogy would be when you sell a canned food product and something on the can is not included: Then it's required to state on the can that it's a "serving suggestion" because even if it's obvious to most that the crisp green salad is not included with the mashed mix of sausages in the can, it's important because it might not be entirely clear to everyone :)

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a great set for both parallax mapping and editor mapping. None parallax things I've done so far. These need to be lit still.

map005_by_cluly-d89xof4.png

Naked Efl warning! lol
greenhaven_screenshot_by_cluly-d8aampu.jpg

I can't wait to try a parallax map with these personally, the images Celianna produced with them on the site did their job, I was sold one them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The thing is, everything in Celianna's parallax image was included, she just edited them to suit her purpose. Some of the stuff would be difficult to make, sure, but to use Galenmereth's food analogy in a more accurate way, it's like how the image on the box shows the food prepared and not how it comes out of the box. As far as I know, all of the tiles on this site advertise with images that can't be made with just the editor. I felt that the parallaxing was obvious not because it uses my tiles in a way that I know isn't possible in the map editor, but because it did other things like specialized lighting and layering that isn't possible with any tileset.

Now, that doesn't really help the people who felt tricked into thinking there were things in the pack that aren't there, but I'm not sure what the best way is to solve the problem, or that there even is a problem that should be solved. On the one hand, it's not actually false advertising and it is doing it's job in showing off the possibilities of the set. On the other hand, it is confusing people. Would it help if I only had parallaxed maps that showed other elements like a text box? Or would that just make people complain that I don't have an included message script? Not having any parallaxed images to advertise with feels false to me too, kind of like saying to people "you can only use things the way I say you can". It also isn't how advertising is done.

Either way I'm going to be adding tiles made to replicate some of the things Celianna did to the set in the next update so there's not anything to complain about. I mean for you guys. Me, though, I'm feeling a bit abused. I don't actually get anything out of adding these tiles you know.

@CupcakeDreamer: Yes, those are called gables.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Either way I'm going to be adding tiles made to replicate some of the things Celianna did to the set in the next update so there's not anything to complain about. I mean for you guys. Me, though, I'm feeling a bit abused. I don't actually get anything out of adding these tiles you know.
I think a lot of people really appreciate the work you've done on these amazing tiles, Sharm.   I've never seen anything quite like them.  They have a bit of almost a fairy tale look to them. 

The problem is you probably mainly hear complaints so the many people who are happy with your tileset (like me) tend to keep quiet since we're actually using the tileset in games.  Also, in my case, the unique look made it into my NaNoWriMo novel for 2014. :)

I'd say our company's IT guy feels the same way --- he only hears from people when something's gone wrong --- but even that's not quite the same since nobody's asking him to do extra work for free.

As I've been doing a bit of the Cyberspace tileset (which is just some simple translucent shapes and other oddities) I'm seeing a tiny sample of how much work is involved in making a full tileset.  I can't imagine how many hundreds of hours must go into making an artistically complex tileset.

Keep up the good work. :)

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
I feel that it's important to point out that I have, in fact, received several requests to include a parallax image of the set on the product page. This came from individuals who wanted to see how versatile the set was, how much potential it had to be edited and suited to their needs. And it was especially important for the Pixel Myth set because it's a brand new style that doesn't match anything else out there.

If it's really that offensive and confusing, however, I will be sure to add a disclaimer. :)

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whitespace sums it up for me, I love the tileset and I think when its updated and more packs become available it won't be an issue. I did think there would be more to the tileset myself when I first got it, but that besides the point and a testament to Celianna's mapping skills. Maybe its just a lessons to be learn't for future sets. I'd say just keep going with the amazing work and let those great maps Celianna created do the talking to sell it. Don't change something that helps your bottom line, it works ;)

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm seeing a tiny sample of how much work is involved in making a full tileset.  I can't imagine how many hundreds of hours must go into making an artistically complex tileset.
OH, dear lord, YES!! Im no where near good enough yet to be a career pixel artist, but i know for me personally that the feat of making this "airship" tile set is proving to be a very daunting challenge for me at my skill level :< !

@Sharm- I dont really know anything about advertising...but I think your art style (and the way its currently set up) is awesome Sharm!... And im so sorry your being made to feel that way  :( .

EDIT: OMG!!!! Is that a naked elf!??!! Your resource pack gets an "AO-18+" rating!! FOR SHAME! ( XD , lol, jk)   

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Sharm: I don't think you should. At least for my comment, what I meant was just that I can understand people get confused, and it might be worth clarifying better? But don't go and add more content for free, that's not fair to you at all nor required imo.

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with whitesphere that people who are happy with pack will not usually say much, if anything at all.

While i admit that it will be nice to receive more of these beautiful tiles, I don't think that it should be at the expense of the artist.

It may seem unfair, or like false advertisement, but advertisement is all about promoting a product. At the very least, most of the tiles shown in the screenshots are available, and are fully functional as both standard and parallax tiles.

Cluly has provided a few beautifully made map screenshots with the provided resources to show what someone other than a skilled parallax mapper like Celianna can do.

Seeing as you are adamant in providing the missing tiles, Sharm, may I suggest providing those tiles in parallax format instead? I will admit that I'm not sure how much lesser of a burden this may be for you, it is merely a suggestion.

That said, I will express that I am very happy with the current state of the resource pack.

Thanks for providing such a fantastic resource pack for us, Sharm!

CupcakeDreamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the correct name for the roof part, (gables.) I have been very happy with this tile set. If I was not, I would have complained long ago. I only mentioned them since you asked what else we the users want added. I also thought that since it was in the image it would be as simple as adding what you already had into some of the white space.

When I purchase a new pack. First thing I do is try to recreate the pictures. At the time that I purchased this set I did not know about parallax mapping. So in recreating that image I got massively confused.

Having worked for a small company that sold resources (Home embroidery designs.) I know first hand that it needs to be stated clearly what is in the product. And if an advertisement is edited beyond what the product includes. It needs to be clearly stated that it is. A simple box in the lower corner of that image that states it is a parallax mapping example would have been enough. I would not have pulled so much hair out. :)

And thank you so much for this pack.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the combat sprite of Azrael one of the main characters of our game,
with and without weapon.
https://discord.gg/Q2uS6Str
The one thing I've always struggled with is creating a story, it halts every single project I've ever worked on. We must be in the twilight zone because I've actually come up with a plot, from beginning to end (it kinda wrote itself). I may very well be on my way to creating my first proper little game, yay!
Oh, wow!
6VDEms4.png

Still need one or two "placeholder" asset things and then I'm venturing into custom windows + menus!
(I'm a little scared, lol)
In the past hour I've both joined and left the RPG Maker subreddit. So many memories were made. Power to the gam mak!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pichenotte3