"Pixelated" Pictures/Portraits

Koshin68

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey! This is my first time posting so if this is the wrong place to ask this please be patient with me!

I've put about 70 hours in tinkering with VX Ace and decided it's time to make a serious game with my own art. The only problem is, when I upload my portraits as pictures they become pixelated - and they are not that pixelated when I look at them in GIMP. I'm not sure whats happening, but how do I fix that? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's driving me nuts.

I've attached a picture of my character portrait in-game and in GIMP to show what I mean. It's very noticeable in his hands, throat, and the hair under his eye in the picture to the left (in-game). 

To get my character like this I've drawn him by hand, inked him, scanned him, touched him up in gimp and softened the edges with a smudge tool. 

Thanks for reading!

*** SOLVED

I meant to post, but I'm not sure it went through! 

Thank you for the suggestions. I figured out that the problem was I used the "zoom" function in the "Show picture" window and in doing so pixelated it from the zooming. All fixed!

Thanks again

help.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How are you showing the portrait in-game - are you using Show Picture, or do you have a script? If a script, please provide a link. It may be trying to resize/zoom it, and that doesn't work very well in Ace. If that's what's happening, you're better of working out the correct size (in-game), then using Gimp to resize it to those dimensions. Even if you have two versions - a large one for editing, which you can then reduce each time you want to port it into the game.

Koshin68

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, thank you for your quick response. 

I thought about what you said and I figured out the problem. 

I was using show picture, but it was pixelated because I played with the "zoom" section in the "show picture" dialogue a few days ago when it was in a really rough version and I didn't notice at the time that made it pixelated, because the art was so rough at that point. 

Thanks ^^ I won't touch that option from now on.

supercow

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesia
Primarily Uses
use .png ?

jpeg is jagged

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mmm ... I didn't think you could do transparency with jpg anyway?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If importing JPG, the resource manager will provide the transparency by allowing you to select a transparency color - but JPGs themselves cannot be transparent.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, of course it will :)

I never use the Resource Manager because of its issues with transparency (and because it's just easier to move the files directly)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr