Placeholder Message Faces

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

In RPG Maker MV, you can create dialog through a series of messages.

To set up these messages, you would use the event editor’s “Show Text” command. Here, you can type in the message you want to show, a face to go with it, along with some other properties like the position of the message.

Now, what happens if you’re making a game where players can choose who they will use as the leader? For example, maybe your game offers players the option to choose between a man or a woman, or from a set of characters each with different backgrounds.
In these cases, it would be strange if the face shown in the dialog didn’t match the face of the player’s chosen character.

However, now we have another problem: how do we actually set up our messages to show different faces depending on the characters? Should we just create conditional branches to handle every possible option?

But what if the players can submit their own custom faces for their character? Now you would have no control over the graphics!

This plugin offers a solution that allows you to easily set up messages that will display the appropriate faces depending on the actor’s current face.

More information and downloads are available at HimeWorks

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is great for main actor triggered events. Great feature!

Dinamic Creates

Project Stealth | Project Dungeon Trios
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This should work nice for costumes, but I found out that the placeholder, ignores the selected ''index'', so expressions won't work.

Are you interested on implementing this?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The index is the one that's currently used by the actor.

So for example if your actor uses index 7, then the game will use that as the index.

You could for example change the actor's index directly...Or I could set it up so that the game will check which index you've selected on the placeholder faceset.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Plugin updated to support "Variable" placeholder.

This uses a specific variable to determine which actor's face to show.

Now, I just remembered this plugin doesn't support indices for expressions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerLaPux