genghis_rabbit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all

As the title suggests I am planning on making a multiple game project, at the moment I'm looking to make about 3/4 games.
I have plenty of ideas written down and am trying to write a story for it, but not sure where to start.

I've got a story under way, but would like to know what kind of things do i need to plan for?
If anyone on here has done a project like this I'd be very grateful for any advice or tips in general about how to get started.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most people are probably going to suggest that you start and complete one small game to get a feel for making a game before you try creating a whole series of games.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is one big problem with the concept of a multigame-story:
No one likes to start playing a story that is later aborted for whatever reason.

Big companies get away with creating trilogies or similar things exactly because they are big companies - the players can reasonably expect them to be around to continue the game series.
For an independent game studio the "part 1" on a game basically means that less people buy it. Because a good part of the buyer wants to wait until they see that the company continuous to complete part 2 before they want to risk purchasing part 1.

And because an independent game developer needs every sale he can get, that usually results in bankruptcy before part 2 is finished, making those players think "good that I didn't buy part 1, I would never have gotten to play the end of the story".

And that is completely beside the other two big points against starting a game series if you don't have any experience in game developing:
1) people who never finished a game usually don't understand the amount of work required for balancing and bughunting.
2) a multi-part series needs a different storyflow than a single game: you'll need partial solutions for the end of each part as well as an overall storyline for all parts. Again that is difficult to design and write if you have less experience.

So as the poster above said: If you haven't finished a single game before, don't bother with planning for a multipart series.
And if you have finished such a game, then I would still make the first part of the multipart series to be able to stand on its own, omitting the "part 1" and only leaving some minor hints for a bigger story in it that can then be continued in a later part 2.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the best way to do it is like folks have said: don't do it. BUT I will say it shouldn't hurt to have plans in the back of your mind of what the sequel(s) would be. But don't call your first game "episode 1" or anything like that. It's stupidly presumptuous.

Both my first game and my next game have planning in them for future games, but neither one aggressively suggests such a thing will come about. They're both meant to be a complete story (although they might leave you wanting more... hopefully).

genghis_rabbit

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for your input.

I was thinking of doing self contained stories all set in the same world, with different characters, places, etc. But also world event that appear to be nothing but help to build up a finally.

The reason for the question is that I have lots of ideas and note that would make a single game 80+ hours and thought that would be to long and not keep people playing a single game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this is your first game, start with one of 1 playing hour - that is already big for a new developer, because the worst mistake you could make is adding things and never finishing a game.

Just as a guideline: usually people say that 1 playing hour needs 100 developing hours - and that is when you know the engine. So your 80+ playing hours would translate to 8000+ developing hours or (assuming you put in 100 hours per month, which is already high for someone who doesn't develop full-time) 80+ months (or six years) of development.
If you have any other responsibilities or want a life besides developing games, most people need 2-3 years to develop a 4-6 hour game...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please do not buy games from g2a.com. The sellers have total power over you. The website has many scam sellers. It looks cheap, but the key code didn't work.
A while back I was having fun making my own custom tiles, then I hit carpet... why is it so difficult!? Lol.
Weekend is finally here... what would you like to see (?):
1) Pokemon into zelda minish-cap style
or
2) Pokemon into zelda gbc style
or
3) Zelda into pokemon style

#= Choose ===============#
||__[ Full mockup ]_[ Charset ]__||
#=======================#
I know someday I'll start working on this...

I'm so happy that I got Steam achievements to work in my game, thanks in large part to the posts by other RPG Maker devs on this issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Homerx_666