Planning: Digital or Analog?

Bradok

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I just wanted a community weigh in here. Which do you prefer when story-boarding/level-designing/etc? I prefer doing everything on either graphing paper or just plain white copy paper with a pen or pencil. For me it's just easier to think and let things flow naturally when I'm writing or drawing by hand, rather than starting at a blank screen when using my graphics tablet.

So, what do you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:

mjshi

Jack of Most Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, for storyboarding, there's a bit too much erasing and expanding for my liking on traditional paper, so I usually use either a flowchart or a word document. "Level design", if you call "mapping" that, is also done digitally. Basically, I start out with something rough and expand/change/erase/redo it until I'm satisfied with what it's become, so digital is the best way to go for me.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For level-design/dungeons I have a notebook of graph paper. My dungeons never actually look like my sketch but at least I have a general idea of where I want to go instead of staring at RM going "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

As for story and all that, I typically have a notebook for just ideas and I write them in there but generally, I stick to just digital for writing everything out. Which is weird because if I do any longer writing, I typically handwrite it first and then do the typing.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A little of both. I have notebooks slated for certain projects. Once I get the rough edges down, then I fire up the laptop and finalise my work. Sometimes I make changes along the way once I get the numbers down. Once that's done, it's printed out and put back in a folder for reference. I have 3 file cabinets to show for it lolz

Melimeli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
I still use pen and paper.. the traditional method. Fast and easy.

When it's finalized, I'll rewrite them on photoshop/excel.

I write story using word docs though. Not gonna handwrite all that.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've had to use Google Drive for documentation for work a lot lately, but working on a computer is difficult sometimes because it's so easy to get distracted. Staying offline, either by disconnecting the computer from any connection or going analog helps me focus on the task at hand.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Digital for me. I use either Excel/Draw it in Mischief/Articy;Draft. My papers tend to always disappear so analog is bad for me ;w;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr