sokka

Captain Boomerang
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,
I was thinking of types (elements) in my game and I wonder how should I classify some of them.

I'm not an expert in physics or chemistry so I thought of asking somebody here if any element in my game can affect another one.
Just like water creature is stronger against fire creature.

Beside fire, water and electric, my creatures are going to be magnetic and plasma.
And I have a tiny problem with the last two.
How do you think they should interact with each other and with the first three elements?

Does anybody have some interesting idea?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are the elements you listed all the elements present or are there any more? Just to get a better picture.

And secondly you should consider whether or not you want the elements to interact with each other in a logical way or in a gameplay-focused way.

In pokemon for example all the elements are heavily balanced around each other. And not all interactions necessarily make sense from a logic standpoint but offer a lot of gameplay variety.

And lastly I don't think games need to be anchored in reality all the time.
You can get away with a lot of stuff if it is explained in a coherent way in the game.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So basically "magnetic" and "electric" are pretty much the same thing, and "fire" and "plasma" are EXACTLY the same thing, so that could probably get confusing to your players.

It sounds like what you're looking for is something along the lines of wuxing, and that would probably be a good template for you to build off of. Here's a link to a wikipedia article about it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxing_(Chinese_philosophy). TL;DR, there are five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. These interact in positive and negative ways, kinda like rock paper scissors. On the positive side, wood feeds fire, fire creates earth, earth creates metal, metal contains water, and water feeds wood...on the negative side, wood disrupts earth, earth disrupts water, water extinguishes fire, fire melts metal, and metal chops up wood. You could put both in your game for rewards or for battle.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plasma is a state of matter and therefore has no logical special interactions with fire, water, or electricity (or magnetic).

Magnetic and Electric have a flexible play with one-another: magnets can create electrical fields (in a very broad sense), and electricity can fuel magnets. You could have either one be strong against either one, or create a two-way relationship (where each is resistant to or weak to the other).

However, this really shines a light on how you're going about this in all the wrong ways. If you can't figure out which elements should have strengths/weaknesses to the others, then your players certainly won't be able to figure it out (even if they do, they might not come up with the same thing you did).

If you're including elemental weaknesses and resists in your game at all, you should have a very good and specific gameplay-based reason for doing so. Otherwise, it's just needless confusion and complexity. A lot more on that here.
  • (And if you do have that good reason for doing so, there should be a very clear and intuitive relationship between each element - which means stay away from abstract concepts like 'plasma' if you can, and give the player as much information upfront as possible, rather than making them guess.)

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength

Would have to agree with that. If you're going to make "exotic" elements, you are probably better off creating some fictional elements of your own (as long as your game is not set in the real world).

Magnetic may be possible to integrate to some capacity, but plasma is way out there.
Few people have a grasp on what plasma really is about and the rest has their knowledge limited to sci-fi weaponry shooting plasma rays or something.

Last edited:

sokka

Captain Boomerang
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the link, it's very interesting. And fun fact : In exact translation - I live on the Cormorants Street ;)
However, this really shines a light on how you're going about this in all the wrong ways. If you can't figure out which elements should have strengths/weaknesses to the others, then your players certainly won't be able to figure it out (even if they do, they might not come up with the same thing you did).
Actually I thought of some NPC explaining it somewhere at the beginning of the game.

I should've said more about my project (I'm still a bit afraid to start a thread about it). This elements thing is not exactly about creatures being magnetic or water type. Actually it's about robots that can make some magnetic field (for example) or shoot fire/lightning etc.
And the only reason I thought about "plasma" type is because I've been drawing some sprites first, and then I was thinking what type could that be.
And look at that one :rdzaP.png
I thought that his weapon could shoot some plasma. Or maybe laser. I don't know. After drawing them all I thought about magnetic, electric, fire, water and that stupid plasma type.
Would have to agree with that. If you're going to make "exotic" elements, you are probably better off creating some fictional elements of your own (as long as your game is not set in the real world).
My game is made in sci-fi genre so I wanted at least part of it to be logical. But I think you're right. Maybe I should just replace "plasma" with some fancy name and leave it like that.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@sokka Actually, in General Discussion, you need to keep the topic, well, general. If you want to go into your project in a more specific way, please post in Ideas & Prototypes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

:3c here's a thing i made a while while while back
Tried mochi for the first time. It's quite nice. Has a pleasant smell and taste, and is nice and chewy.
made a bio for the protag in my project!
Beggar : "I haven't eat for days..."
Kid : "Just do crime! You will get daily necessity for free in prison~"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teendinsaikha