Platform carries you somewhere --- HOW?

craenk22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You fall into a pit when stepping into the black.
there is a platform moving from the right to the left.
you can go onto this platform to avoid falling.

BUT

you stand still from the moment you step on the platform which should carry you to the other side!

Of course you can walk on that platform BUT I want to be carried AND still want to decide if I want to
walk on it or stand still to just get carried.

how is this possible?

craenk22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
72 hours are over. so please can anyone tell me?

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want to be able to walk on the platform whilst it's moving, you're going to need a 'moving platforms' plugin. There's been requests for it before, but so far none exists. There's a possibility that the VE moving platforms script for VX Ace will get remade for MV. You can try making a new request in the JS Plugins Request, wait and hope one of the previous ones will be answered, or give up on the player walking option and just make a move route to carry both the platform and player.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do this with eventing, although you'll be sacrificing some functionality. For example, when your character moves into the platform, change that characters image to one of that character on a platform.
Change the initial platform event with a switch or Variable to make it disapear.
Then, simply set the move route on autorun without stepping to make it look like the platform is moving, and bring it to your destination.
Once there, use a switch to turn on a new event that has your platform, and change your event graphic back to the original character, then move them forward.

It seems like a lot of work, but when it comes to game design, nothing gets done without ingenuity and dedication. If you don't wait for wait for/commission a plugin, this might be your best bet.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually, I'm fairly certain you can just make the platform itself into an event and have it move back and forth slowly. Make its priority below the player and then you should be able to walk on it. Because, @GoodSelf, your method would make it so that the player would have to walk in order for the platform to move. But they want to be able to walk while being propelled by the platform.

craenk22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Actually, I'm fairly certain you can just make the platform itself into an event and have it move back and forth slowly. Make its priority below the player and then you should be able to walk on it. Because, @GoodSelf, your method would make it so that the player would have to walk in order for the platform to move. But they want to be able to walk while being propelled by the platform.
exactly. also I want to move on the platform AND be transported if I don't move! that's the problematic here =) is there also an eventing possibility?

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yup. You just set the move route of the platform to move left, then right, and back again. Make sure you set it as a parallel process event. If you want the move route to stop after the player gets off, you make a player touch event on the first tile after the player gets off of the platform that turns a switch on. Then you make a new event page for your platform which is activated by that switch. That page will be completely blank, other than your switch that triggers it.

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup. You just set the move route of the platform to move left, then right, and back again. .
This event will not work. The platform moves, but it doesn't take the player with it. The only way to have the player move in sync will the platform is to give the player a movement route, but if you're doing that, then you can't control the player to make them walk whilst they're on the platform.

The way I'm interpreting op's question is that the platform will move left/right/forward however. When the player stands on the platform they're going to be moved with it, but to make it feel less forced, say if the platform is 4 tiles wide, the op wants the player to be able to walk around on the platform whilst it's moving, which, as far as I know, isn't possible with the built in mechanics.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It can be done with events, you'd just need to use Yanfly's region restrictions plugin as a bit of a helper script. That way, you make the area of the platform passable, but everything around it impassable.

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for being dense bc I know you're way more experienced with RPG Maker than I am, but I still don't see how that would work? Having the player being able to step ontop of a moving event doesn't make them move with the event. I've already tested it, and nothing happens without a player move route.

If you use region restrictions, I get the feeling the player wouldn't be able to move there at all. You'd need to restrict the player so they can't walk over the empty spaces, but allow the event access so it can move, but then, even if the platform is on a space, it doesn't write over the region to allow the player access. At least, that's what I understand from it. I don't mean to doubt you, but I think you'd have to try making a demo with events to see if you can make it work. I'm also very interested in the possibility of moving platforms, since I think it would allow for some really cool puzzles.

I don't think my explanation before was very good, so I made this really poor quality video (with my phone bc hypercam would probably crash my computer :kaocry:)
At the start, the player (light blob Harold) is just stood still and moving with the platform, but they can also choose to walk, whilst staying within the area of the platform. (like the last two seconds of the video)

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, OK. I understand the OP's question. What I mean is to find some way to make it so that everywhere around the tile is blocked. So, scratch what I said before. Instead of regions, since those are locked to the map, make events that move at the same speed as the tile all around it and set them to same as characters so the player can't move past those events. You have them activate when the player steps on the platform and deactivate when the player steps off.

craenk22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Rhino!! you almost got what I need!! The Region Restriction I don't really care about, because the player CAN fall down from platform anyway.
So how did you make this possible?

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hiya, sorry to disappoint, but the video I made is a demo, it doesn't actually do what you were asking for :kaocry:

event.png

I used a player move route to move the character with the platform and then make it appear as if they were able to move freely on the platform. (The 'MOVE TO' script is part of Yanfly's Move Route Core which I'd recommend adding since it makes movement routes so much easier :kaoluv:)

Whilst there's a player move route, even if it's trigger is set to parallel, you're not actually able to control the player. But, if you don't use a move route, there is no way to make the character move with the platform. Even if you were to use an impassable event and stick it under their feet, it doesn't shove the character along (so I still don't really understand what HexMozart is suggesting..)

This is why I think you're going to need someone to create a plugin that will move the player and the platform somehow, whilst still allowing the player to walk around in the platform region if they want. I'm not even sure the last part is possible, since the VE Moving platform I mentioned before only has one tile wide platforms, but I don't know anything about coding.

craenk22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
yeah I understand what you're saying and I'm hoping for someone to release a plugin in the near future.
I'm not into coding that much, too so waiting is all we have here ;D

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Possible alternative method - make the platform into its own map and move a parallax background, maybe with one of the Overlay Maps plugins?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:
Hey people! What do you think about a core plugin? This will save some lines of code that I repeatedly use in all my plugins...
Wondering if I should make my enemies scale in my non-linear rpg. I'm leaning towards yes, but I don't want to use Yanfly's plugin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foghiszdenisz