Play games on mac?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Criazika, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Criazika

Criazika Amateur Indie Dev Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello, I personally use windows 7 and RPG Maker VX Ace. One of my friends use a mac, and they want to test out the game so far. I sent them the EXE file, but I realized that Macs can't open them (windows files)... I tried many different things, and I was wondering if they could some how emulate the file, or is it possible for me to save it as a different launch-able file for them?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They can only launch the game by using a windows emulator, a windows wrapper or installing windows through bootcamp, because all RM-Games need Windows to run.

To use one of the windows wrappers you would need to know how to implement that into your game - if you haven't done this before you're looking at a lot of work, and I wouldn't suggest going that route.

Windows emulator programs or bootcamp with a real windows are both done and installed at the mac computer, so your friends would have to install them on their macs before they can open windows programs there.

3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only way to play RM games on either Mac or Linux is to use ACL (Application Compatibility Layer) software such as WINE, or in the case of some other games I saw which used custom software, you can use Wineskin, which is exclusively for running Windows games on Mac OS X.