Play test a event with out loading the game.

2DGameStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hello all,

Well today I found something out, I do not know if this is a known feature of RPG maker mv. But did you know that you could play test events with out loading the game?

The steps to do it are the following.

1 - Make a new event - added what the event does.

2 - Right click event

3 - Hit Test.

Below are two screen shots showing a simple txt event running for the Test option on the right menu.

Master Thief - RPG Maker MV 4_2_2016 12_21_52 PM.png

Master Thief 4_2_2016 12_22_17 PM.png

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
I really do like this feature in MV! However, it doesn't help all that much with movement routes that actually have a character walking. Testing something like a chest or door opening? Perfect!

darico06

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No idea you could do this! Brilliant!

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can do this now?!

Phil32

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for sharing this. There's so many cool new features hidden inside this software, huh? :)

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
well ill be damned. that is amazing.

Dennis Sharp

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I just got RMP Maker MV, and want to know if there is a way to test certain parts of a game Im creating without starting the game from the beginning each time. Like what was mentioned above, I want to test an NPC walking up to someone, having a conversation. following that NPC until an event happens that would basically start the game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dennis Sharp
Most people create an item as a "developer teleport" and place that on the starting map to skip to where they want to go - basically an item calling a common event, where you use the show choice command to get a selection of options and then depending on answer use different transfer player events to the maps where you want to go to.

InBlast

The Mad Hamster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thanks a lot ! I didn't know this, it will same me a lot of time !

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
SumRndmDde has released 'SRD_SuperToolsEngine' which'll let you have the game loaded and can edit whilst the game is in play

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mpurnell the OP wants to test the event without loading the game - anyone can test when the game is loaded with MV...

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
You are correct. Except the plugin I mentioned does allow plugins that have been edited to update whilst the game is running so you can see different variations

Apollyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know it's way late but thank you for the tip!

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Same here. Didn't know that existed until right now...still learning something new every day :D

Also thanks for digging this thread back up, @Apollyon :)

Edit: Ok, figured out that this test thing is very limited...can't display pictures for example...not as good as I thought.

Last edited:

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I honestly had no idea about this. Nice find! It is a bit unfortunate that not all features seems to be working fully when testing like this but it is great for smaller, more isolated events. There a few nice tidsbits elsewhere in this thread as well...I am bumping it again for that reason!

zephar123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
glad you bumped it as, I was just trying to figure out a way to do exactly this in MV and did not spot this option. This will help alot with my initial testing of how I want to work some events easier.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One way to test events without having to go through the entire game (especially for events intended for later parts of the game) is to create a dummy map with a below characters trigger that sets all the variables and switches to what they would be in actual game conditions. Next, place the events you intend to test. Finally put the player start on the dummy map. Player takes a step forward. triggering the setup event, the events to be tested should now be primed and ready as if the player would have played through the game to that point.

When satisfied that the events are working as intended, move the player start back to where it is supposed to be, place the events into the actual place they are supposed to be for the actual game and you'll be good to go. The in-editor event test option only goes so far with what it can do. Some things just have to be tested in the actual game environment.

In the game I am producing, my Dummy Map is called Test Lab, and is sized large enough to accomplish what I am trying to do. There is an enclosed area of 3 adjacent tiles. The middle tiles is where the player starts. the one on the left or bottom is a teleporter transition that loads a tiny map that has only two tiles you can walk on. one is where the player appears and the adjacent one is a teleport event that goes back to Test Lab. This is to do a full reset of the test lab map, allowing any changes made if you alt-tab back to the editor and make adjustments to take effect.

The other tile on the right or top is the setup event trigger.

Before deploying the game, I'll remove the Test Lab map, as well as any work-in-progress maps that for whatever reason are not to be deployed.

Ellisvox

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
SumRndmDde has released 'SRD_SuperToolsEngine' which'll let you have the game loaded and can edit whilst the game is in play
sadly, sumrandomdude has not updated the plugin to the most recent 1.06 update, rendering it useless. You will get an error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

2 huge market drops in 2 days. So glad I sold my non-dividend stocks about 2 weeks ago. And if the dividend ones drop heavily, hey more cheap stocks for me!
My tutorial is live! It covers using Yanfly's weapon unleash to replace the basic attack skill with a more dynamic version depending on which weapon type the actor has equipped. It also includes how to import a custom function used to generate a random number within supplied minimum and maximum values, used in the replaced skills, to give weapons a set damage range.
What can I sing for my sisters birthday...?

>.<'
Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kantain1292