mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In this tutorial, you will learn how to let player and events walk behind walls and from one room to another without awkward holes in the ceiling.

pic10.png

You will need
Yanfly's Core Engine - required for the two plugins to work
Yanfly's Grid-Free Doodads - don't forget to add Doodads.json to your project as well!!
Yanfly's Region Restrictions
Graphics of walls in the format of doodads.
If you are using RTP walls, you can grab this pack I made for your convenience.
All of the roof tiles are named the same way as in MV:
pic9.png For example, in this tutorial we will use Interior Wall A, so you can find it in the corresponding folder.​

How it works
Unzip the downloaded folder and place the img folder (which is inside) in your project directory.

pic 1.5.png
When your room is mapped as you want it, playtest your game. Open the Doodads menu by pressing F10. Click Place Doodads and open the folder Roofs. That's where the doodads are stored. Find the folder with the wall you are using. In this tutorial, we are using Interior Wall A. I changed the color of the doodads so you can actually see where I'm placing it, it won't be turquoise in your game.

Grab one of the doodads so you can place it. There's a couple of things to remember:
pic2.png
1) You need to set the doodad in a grid - you can do so by pressing key G, then setting grid to snap to 48x48 (you can make the grid snap automatically to 48x48 in the plugin's parameters if you want to).
pic3.png
2) You also need to set the layer of the doodad to 6 or higher. I personally use 7 but it's up to you. You can use key E to set the layer higher.

pic4.png
Now you can place the doodad in the desired location. Look at the picture to get an idea. Do this for every single wall tile you want the player to walk behind. Save by clicking Save and Close in the doodads menu.

At this moment you can walk behind the walls. But, there's a problem!
pic5.png
The player can suddenly walk all over the roof. To fix this, we will use region restrictions.

In the Region Restrictions plugin's parameters, you need to set where the events are allowed and not allowed to go - by using the number of a region. In this example, events can walk on the green region 5, but are not able to on the red region 13. You might need to experiment a bit to figure where to place the regions. pic7.png
The picture will help you.

pic8.png
As you can see, events can walk behind the walls, as well as below the room entrances.

Further tip: if you want to use doors inside, check out Tea's Jams' underpass door frame tiles resource.

Attachments

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can go under walls with 1 plugin instead of 3 though using a passages plugin to make life easier.
I use Ocram_Passages plugin.

but for ppls that use doodads (which should be in your title) its a nice way though.
for peoples that do parallax is this kind also useless.

So if people use doodads, you dont need parallax or passages plugin though.
but nice idea for peoples that are new to doodads.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Couldn't you just make copies of the wall tiles with * passibility and do it without any plugins at all?

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice tutorial, but indeed, if you've already got every roof tile (as in the attached zip file), you actually don't need any plugin at all and can save your game the trouble to have to check for all those regions + display all those doodads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

X[ oh gawd.... I dropped my super expensive laptop on my hard tile floor! It still comes on and all, but now Im worried its gunna start screwing up in the near future.... I hope not, cant afford to replace stuff like that. :(
I wrote a nice animated preloading system for mv+mz today. It only supports graphic assets atm, should it support audio too? See it in action in my recent minigame @
I posted my first commercial game on the forums, and now waiting for approval.
fingers crossed.
TMW the air quality is so bad, your hair changes color every time you wash it. :LZYyuck:
Finished two animations today. :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olivecat