Player name input help

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Support' started by RoooodWorks, Nov 8, 2019.

1. RoooodWorks

RoooodWorks Devil King Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So am using the Action UI input text and made it use player name instead, and added a event where it changes the player name to that. but how can I add it so it adds the player surname that is unchangeable.

https://i.imgur.com/2lmela6.png- events i used
    https://i.imgur.com/Clobwpx.png - macro to show name

if you need any more info let me know. All i did was rename the input text result variable name to player name.

2. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi, if you use the Action UI Input Text CE, the text will be stored in a global text variable. I think in your case it is G:0003 PlayerName. You can use the Text Variable command with the Add operation and add another piece of text to the existing text, like the surname. That should do the trick.

3. RoooodWorks

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How do u add text to a variable. like do u add it where it says 'input text here' or is there a different way?.

I tried in the input text here and the name still just says what i put in as input text.

Sorry am new to this I used rpg maker before but visual novel maker is weird sometimes where it does things differently.

4. Glassescomic

Glassescomic Villager Member

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    To set a custom name
    [​IMG]

In this case I saved the name in the variable {GT:nome}.
    Some examples:
    {GT:nome} You're so brave.
    I want to go to the beach, {GT:nome}.
    You are my friend {GT:nome}.

5. RoooodWorks

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I know how to set a custom name, I just want a surname after the custom name for the name tag that appears when they speak.

6. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi, if you look at the screenshot posted, there is actually the Text Variable command I talked about. In that example, the operation is "Set". But that is not what you need in your case, you have to select "Append" as the operation. It allow to add another piece of text to an existing text. RPG Maker has no text variables, thats why you don't know about that.

So if your text variable has the text "Alfred" and you want to add a surname to it. Use the Text Variable command, select the text variable containing "Alfred" and select "Append" as operation. For Source select "Value" and make sure you expand the Text Variable command by clicking on the left Arror-Icon. Then you can freely enter any text, like the surname, which will be then added to the first name.

7. RoooodWorks

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah ok. I realized also that i didn't change the object after doing, I did it before which was why i didn't see the change. But it works now :) thanks