Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Playing Both Sides
Warning - Offensive Words, Implied Sex, Culture War​

SECTION A: GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
  • Turn based combat. Leveling curve is shallow. Mechanics are added to making money making and leveling easy.
  • Combat is very paper-rock-scissors. Over-aggression is punished with powerful defensive counters.
  • Intention is the player will never want to use the same move twice in a row.
  • Boss fights have a sort of 'puzzle' element. Most have attacks that can potentially one-shot you but have reliable counters if you keep your defenses up.
  • A simple example - early in the game there is a mob called the "Epic Troll" which has 500 hp and regenerates all of its health every turn. Spamming attacks at it will get you nowhere since it will heal your damage. However, stacking a few debuffs on it so that you can do one 550-ish hit on the third turn will kill it.

SECTION B: STORYLINE/PLOT
  • People have long forgotten the proper name of the Lawless Sea. There are no honest men here. There is only might, and with might alone are fortunes made.

The only authority within this locus of chaos is the brutal Patriarchy, a group of men who before all else hunt down witches, letting virtually all other crimes go unpunished.

Aboard the privateer ship Antelope, the adventure of a young crewman named Eric begins. A target ripe for the plunder has been spotted, and the Antelope is poised to attack, but the series of events that has been set in motion is beyond imagination.

Features of this game include:
  • Witches
  • Gender Bending
  • Possible Cannibalism
  • Schizophrenia
  • Title IX investigations
  • More witches!!
  • Battlestar Gallactica style not-swearing
  • Pirates
  • Instructions in the safe handling of explosives
  • Reading things
  • Mind control
  • Manbearpigs
  • Getting attacked by rocks
  • Satire of an objectively better game
  • Pop culture references to stuff from before you were born

SECTION C: CHARACTERS
  • Eric - A young man who joined a crew of privateers in order to get the money to make a better life for himself and his love.
  • Morgan - The love of Eric's life. You'll find out more about her as the story progresses.
  • Aracha - A witch who serves as the head of security for the Resistance. She is always seen dressed in black and wearing a mask. She's standoffish and casually refers to men as "Dicks".
  • Cid - When he was 11, he was the chosen one prophecied to save the land from an apocalypse. He succeeded. However, his fame eventually waned. Now an adult, he is an alchoholic and works as a mercenary.
  • Anne - A priestess in the Convent of Tyres (pro-Patriarchy), she takes her duties extremely seriously.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
  • I mean it when I say "general offensiveness"
  • Magic system is inherently sexist - Women can use magic. Men can only use counter-magic.
  • "Culture war" terms such as 'Patriarchy' and 'Resistance' are used.
  • Also, different nations in this world have different ethnicities.
  • All that being said, I was focused more on humor, attempted to be respectful to everybody. Only one group could be considered 'bad guys' most of the time and they're not irredeemable. There are no "cartoon villains".
  • The world is centered around the island nation of Tyres and the Lawless Sea
  • Thus expect to spend a lot of time on ships.
  • The protagonist will spend a lot of time gender-bending. Nevertheless I don't really consider this to be an LGBT game even though I included it in the romance options.
  • Don't expect long love stories. I have no idea how "romance" works.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
screenshot1.PNG screenshot2.PNGattempt2.png

DOWNLOAD LINK
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1142090/Playing_Both_Sides/
Credits to
VictorEngine's custom scripts
Thalzon's Battlers

Yes, there was previously a thread for the demo version of this game. I feel there's been enough of a "Ship of Theseus" going on to say the new version is a completely different game then what I posted last time.

Last edited:

Ailius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to give this thread one bump. With all due respect to this forum, this Beta has a finished main plot and 10-ish hours of gameplay. I'm not letting it just get completely overlooked on the forums after spending months working on it.

Also, I edited the warnings. There are only a few offensive words, maybe some offensive ideas. The sex is strictly fade-to-black.

Kest

The Ecstasy of Gold
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well I managed to complete a playthrough without running into any game breaking bugs so congrats on your successful project. Although I think some of my choices were made in the wrong order.

I'm curious what plugins it uses - I'd like to suggest a few, like something that increases the number of save slots, or allows the naming of save slots, since the game has multiple endings.

Ailius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just 5 of VictorEngine's plugins. Battle Command Window, Active Time Battle, State Replace, Diagonal Movement, and the Basic Module.

Kest

The Ecstasy of Gold
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hm Victor Engine...

Well in that case, you can adjust the number of saves allowed by opening projectname\js\rpg_managers.js as a text file, then search for the following code and change the number on the line after it from "20" to whatever. (I tested it with 50.)
Code:
DataManager.maxSavefiles = function()
---

By default saves share the same title as your game, which is basically useless. You can change them using Save Title from HimeWorks and these can be set to a string, variable, or even just the name of the current map.

---

Here are some alternatives that I haven't used but might be helpful for you:

JavaHut's Save Extension
Poryg's Save Core

Last edited:

Kest

The Ecstasy of Gold
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This VE plugin may come in handy as a reminder for your players, like displaying their current destination/task or how many channeling stones they've collected:

https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/information-window/

This VE plugin could be fun when combined with the various teachers you've already spread throughout your game world, and give your players a reason to revisit areas:

https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/masters/

At some point in the game, Anne mentions the player might want to train in spears. This VE plugin should allow that:

https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/trait-control/

He has some other fun ones you might want to look into - now that you've completed your project you can focus on polishing it.

Last edited:

KILLERTIGER

What doesn't KILL u makes u stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your game's download site doesn't work

Ailius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whoops. It's been a while. The game is on Steam now. I've got something to deal with right now, so I'll get the thread moved later. The link goes to the steam store page now.

And...frankly I think I screwed up pricing it at $1. That's half the price of a cup of coffee but infinitely more expensive than 'free'. I should've learned to use PayPal

Also, thanks for reminding me. There was a small update to this game I've been meaning to do for some time that had forgotten about.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commercial Games. Congratulations on releasing your game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The more I look at the QPlugins... The more I am amazed at what they can do. Which I'm not going to lie is pretty awkward, because I already consider them far and away the best plugins MV has to offer. :kaoback:
spending a week trying to figure out what was wrong with my font has me DED
504 threads to go upon the time of this post until the forum reaches 100k threads. Thread Dead Redemption. Thready Van Halen. Thread Zeppelin. Doesn't have to be a band or a game
Random thought: Looks like putting in effort in learning a language is like a taboo for most people. :kaoswt2:
Not sure about RPG Maker MZ ; We see a lot of things, but they could have enhanced a lot of things in MV first... We're at the era of updates nowadays, not new products over and over and over :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Player-Unknown