TheCosmicSlug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK so reinstalled my pc this weekend with the latest ubuntu and although RPG Maker MV appears to load fine, the playtest function does nothing. I've not tested the rest of the editor although everything else appears fine, How can I help report this?

TheCosmicSlug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing happens, no messages at all. I've tried several steam versions (1.5.2, 1.6.0, 1.6.1) and a blank project.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick question:

Are you on an x86 (32-bit) OS or x64 (64-bit) OS?

Sadly, MV on Linux ONLY works for x64. If you're using x86, it won't work.

TheCosmicSlug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah its 64bit, It was working just fine on 16.04 (x64) so I guess i'll have to setup a virtual machine when I get a chance to work on my project again :)

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting. What you can do is run MV in the terminal and see what it tells you. It's how I found out about some dependencies that needed to be installed or built from source.

Easiest way to do it is, if everything is installed the same, in the terminal, go to:

/home/user/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV

From there, run MV with ./RPG Maker MV.sh (pretty sure there's spaces in file name). Check via ls to see if it's different.

Good luck either way!

TheCosmicSlug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont know if the terminal output is very helpful as it doesn't appear to load outside of steam, but i have attached anyway

~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV$ './RPG Maker MV.sh'
Gtk-Message: 20:11:30.148: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[0501/201131:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
Some features may not be available.
[0501/201131:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
[0501/201131:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qtwebengine_resources_100p.pak
[0501/201131:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(691)] Failed to load /home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qtwebengine_resources_200p.pak
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

TheCosmicSlug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
adding steam_appid.txt allowed me to get a log of the playtest function, these messages appeared in terminal
file:///home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/MenuContentItem.qml:178: ReferenceError: Acccessible is not defined
file:///home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/MenuContentItem.qml:178: ReferenceError: Acccessible is not defined
/home/danny/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/nwjs-lnx/Game: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

nikhil1337

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi there, I bought the RPGMaker MV just today and I was having a similar issue where playtesting wouldn't work on Manjaro Linux.

Incase someone else is running into this problem, I'm documenting what I did:

1. First we need to add a file called steam_appid.txt (like TheCosmicSlug suggested) so we can run it from the terminal and see the output.

1.1 Go to steamdb.info for and find out the correct id. (For MV the id is 363890)

1.2 Create the steam_appid.txt file and move it to the correct folder. This example is for MV
Bash:
echo 363890 > steam_appid.txt
steam_appid.txt needs to be placed inside the mv folder of steam. (Example path for MV installed in the default location: ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RPG\ Maker\ MV/)

2. Now we can start the RPGmaker from the terminal and see the output.

2.1 Navigate to your RPGmaker folder (check from 1.2 to see the path). There will be one shell script (A file with .sh ending). Run it by using sh.
Example: sh RPG\ Maker\ MV.sh

From here on the results will vary.

In my case I got these error messages when clicking "Playtest":

Code:
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:rules"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: unknown element "its:translateRule"
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'translate'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'selector'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 7: invalid attribute 'version'
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 9: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 4: unknown elem
ent "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-vera.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-generic.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/45-latin.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-generic.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf", line 4: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 4: unknown element "its:rules"
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: unknown element "its:translateRule"
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'translate'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 5: invalid attribute 'selector'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'xmlns:its'
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 6: invalid attribute 'version'
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf", line 8: unknown element "description"
Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
[129533:129533:0820/141625.052573:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[129491:129491:0820/141625.085234:FATAL:platform_font_linux.cc(83)] Check failed: InitDefaultFont(). Could not find the default font
#0 0x7f221c5f636c <unknown>

So from my understanding, something is not right with the fonts.

After doing some research I came across this thread on steam where someone helped someone else to patch their game (they had the same font issue). I also found out that this is a very recent issue that affects arch distributions and might spread to other distros once they catch up on their font-config etc.

Code:
mkdir fonts; echo '<fontconfig><dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir><cachedir>fonts</cachedir></fontconfig>' >fonts/fonts.conf; FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts ./nw # %command%

This is the code snippet from that steam thread. What it does:
  1. Create a folder and create a working font config inside
  2. Run nw and pass this new file as an arg

Next thing I did was try if this worked for me aswell. First I exported my game. Then I tried if it runs -> same error as I got when clicking playtest.

Then I tried out the code snippet -> Game runs.

Okay so we know now a solution but how can we apply it to the playtest?

I checked the MV folder within steamapps again and found two folders for the nw javascript library:
  • nwjs-lnx
  • nwjs-lnx-test

First I checked the nwjs-lnx folder. It seems to have the same filestructure as an exported game, including the executable nw.

I tried running ./nw -> same fonts error as seen above.
I tried it again using the snippet from the steam thread -> it opens a game instance but with missing content. My guess is that this is the "playtest" version of the game which expects a project to be passed to it.

1597935847938.png

Out of curiosity I checked the nwjs-lnx-test folder too. It looks similar but doesn't have an executable nw, but instead an executable Game.

Same story again: Game itself causes fonts bug but running Game with the created font config and passing it as an arg lets it run. Funny thing thats still in the RPGMaker leftovers:

1597936111070.png

nwjs-test seems to work (and we can see which versions are being used)

Ok so far so good... I am now looking for a way to fix the playtest itself.

nikhil1337

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Continueing where I left off before:
  • We know how to fix the fonts when launching a game itself
  • We don't know how to fix playtest since playtest is launched from the RPGMaker and not by us

Since we launch the RPGMaker from the shell script that is provided I looked into that.
This is how it looks like without changing anything:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
IFS_BACK=$IFS
IFS='
'

appname=`basename $0 | sed s,\.sh$,,`
dirname=`dirname $0`
tmp="${dirname#?}"

if [ "${dirname%$tmp}" != "/" ]; then
dirname="$PWD/$dirname"
fi
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$dirname
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$dirname/$appname "$@"

IFS=$IFS_BACK

The interesting part is line 15 which looks like this: $dirname/$appname "$@"
What it does is, it launches the RPG Maker MV executable. Lets pass the folder to this executable the same way it is passed in the codesnippet from before.

I change line 15 into this:
Bash:
FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts $dirname/$appname "$@"

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
IFS_BACK=$IFS
IFS='
'

appname=`basename $0 | sed s,\.sh$,,`
dirname=`dirname $0`
tmp="${dirname#?}"

if [ "${dirname%$tmp}" != "/" ]; then
dirname="$PWD/$dirname"
fi
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$dirname
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts $dirname/$appname "$@"

IFS=$IFS_BACK

Alright, now when launching the game and clicking "Playtest" the font errors are all gone! But it is still looking for a default font.
What I did next was copy the one font that I could find and put it in my created fonts folder. The font I used for this was in the NewData/fonts folder within the RPGMaker folder. This should work when used from the RPGMaker folder: cp NewData/fonts/mplus-1m-regular.ttf ./fonts/

Check the content of your fonts folder. It should look like this, containing just 2 files:
Bash:
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/fonts $ ls
fonts.conf  mplus-1m-regular.ttf

If you tried some things before, it might have some cached files. Those need to be deleted once the font is added so they can be created again including the correct font. In that case delete them by using this command from within the fonts folder: rm *.cache*

Now lets give it a try!

Launch the game as you did before and click playtest.

Yay its working! I hope this can help out users with an arch based linux distro, trying to run RPGMaker MV when they are using fontconfig 2.13 or higher and don't want to break their own system by downgrading the fontconfig. (Don't do that!)

1597942707654.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ged

nikhil1337

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
lol some steam updates broke my rpgmakermv (or lets say it was reset into its original state). the tutorial from above still works in 2021 ;)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a slightly experimental horror game. It will be finished in approximately 88888888888 years.
Y'all will enjoy it though, I put lots of effort into making it stand out.

It's called Red Light and it's inspired by another obscure RPG Maker horror game, but I don't want to give too much away just yet.
Ohh man, Weapon animations plugin feels so mandatory. Seeing that same image regardless of the icon of the weapon....ugh :p
Ok so......Maaaaybe I've taken a ''little'' bit of inspiration from FF9 when it comes to battle hud xD

ff9.PNG

Just maybe....
New version of my wife's art for Tundra's opening map. No new version of Katrina yet, but I think this looks awesome.1624062754755.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raytoly