Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I have been working on an RPG in my spare time for over 2 years. It's taken over 400 hours to get this far and still the game is an extremely early phase. It uses almost exclusively default assets and I've done nothing yet to spruce up the art, sound or menus. It is at this stage that I want some fresh eyes to just tell me if this game is even interesting at all or if the entire concept sucks.

Goal: Create a game with a simple, satisfying game loop of:
a) Create party from 8 class pool (22 total after unlocking)
b) Grind in multiple accessible areas (you decide what element type monsters and what difficulty you want to take on), gain EXP, money and loot
c) Improve party by spending money in town, upgrading to stronger classes
d) When feeling frisky, attempt to fight one of the bosses in the titular Tower of Ten (10 bosses total)
e) Repeat until you beat the tower

Difficulty - The bosses are HARD. Some will require strategies including teams with strong healing, teams with strong multi-target attacks, teams with focus on phys attack or magical attack, experimenting with status effects, etc. They are hard but they are also puzzles like many of the bosses in FF4.

Plot - Plot is virtually nonexistent. This may be a "con" for you, but I personally often enjoy grinding in RPGs just as as busy work while I watch TV or as an idle game of sorts. I personally care less and less about expansive plots and character development. I understand fully that may not be the norm but I do feel like there is a market for people that want just jump into grinding, team comp tinkering and hard bosses. I imagine people that enjoyed Etrian Odyssey or replaying games like FF1 or DQ3 would be the ideal target audience for this game.

That being said, for those willing to poke around in all the nooks and crannies, I have included a secret sub plot that will hopefully be a good twist for anyone hungry for plot.

If the feedback I receive is generally positive, my intention is to completely replace all assets with custom assets (nothing too fancy, something that looks like it could run on gameboy color or SNES is what Id aim for) and while the dialogue will always be hokey and light-hearted, I will revamp the script if the reception is positive. I would also want to add about 30% more items/equipment and abilities as well as significantly more enemy types.
So what I'm mainly seeking feedback on is:

- Is this concept fun or boring?
- Do you find any particular classes boring/fun?
- Do you find any classes overpowered or underpowered?
- What about particular bosses? Any particularly fun or tedious?
- Any difficulty spikes you are noting that are sapping the fun from your playthrough?
- Tell me what you love/hate about it
- BUGS! Let me know if you find any clearly broken behaviors or bugs. Any details on exactly how/when/where you encountered them would be invaluable!

Playtime - Because its so early, playtime is still TBD but I have included Playtester items that will dramatically speed up testing. I myself have beat the game from start to finish in around 3-4 hours with these items but also, I know how all the bosses work...

Content - There is some blood and swearing in the game if you look for the secret content but I doubt it would warrant beyond a T rating.

Please reply or message me if interested and I will send the link. Windows and Mac both supported, I am not working on any mobile versions yet though this would at some point be ideal (this feels like it has the most potential as basically an Idle Game / something to do while you watch TV or ride a bus, etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:

lazymouse

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I would love to give this a shot, send me a link and I will provide ample feedback.

Rugman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don’t have a ton of free time but I’d be happy to test it when I can.

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don’t have a ton of free time but I’d be happy to test it when I can.
Download link sent! Thank you for having a look at my game!

pLite

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to play it. I agree just a simple grinder is good. Ive spent way more time playing them than any AAA game.

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for volunteering to test my game! I just uploaded versions 0.03 so if you haven't started playtesting, please let me know so I can give you the newest link. It has several quality of life updates but most importantly, fixes a couple of game breaking bugs with the Clown class! Please message me if you need the latest link and if you're new to this thread, please let me know if you would like a link to my game. Thank you!

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to play it. I agree just a simple grinder is good. Ive spent way more time playing them than any AAA game.
Download link sent! Just finished version 0.03. If you wouldn't mind, can you please confirm you received the link I messaged you? Because no one has responded so far and I'm not sure the direct messaging is working?? Thank you for having a look at my game!

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
replaying games like FF1 or DQ3 would be the ideal target audience for this game.
That's me! I would like to help. Curious to know what engine you are using? I'm still working on my game in VX Ace.

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's me! I would like to help. Curious to know what engine you are using? I'm still working on my game in VX Ace.

Hi Roninator2!

Download link sent! We are now on Version 0.04! I'm working on MV. I really wanted the side-view combat since I've always been a fan.

If anyone else in this thread would like the updated link, please let me know. It is possible to transfer your old saved data so it is not necessary to start over or anything like that. Thank you.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!

I have been working on an RPG in my spare time for over 2 years. It's taken over 400 hours to get this far and still the game is an extremely early phase. It uses almost exclusively default assets and I've done nothing yet to spruce up the art, sound or menus. It is at this stage that I want some fresh eyes to just tell me if this game is even interesting at all or if the entire concept sucks.

Goal: Create a game with a simple, satisfying game loop of:
a) Create party from 8 class pool (22 total after unlocking)
b) Grind in multiple accessible areas (you decide what element type monsters and what difficulty you want to take on), gain EXP, money and loot
c) Improve party by spending money in town, upgrading to stronger classes
d) When feeling frisky, attempt to fight one of the bosses in the titular Tower of Ten (10 bosses total)
e) Repeat until you beat the tower

Difficulty - The bosses are HARD. Some will require strategies including teams with strong healing, teams with strong multi-target attacks, teams with focus on phys attack or magical attack, experimenting with status effects, etc. They are hard but they are also puzzles like many of the bosses in FF4.

Plot - Plot is virtually nonexistent. This may be a "con" for you, but I personally often enjoy grinding in RPGs just as as busy work while I watch TV or as an idle game of sorts. I personally care less and less about expansive plots and character development. I understand fully that may not be the norm but I do feel like there is a market for people that want just jump into grinding, team comp tinkering and hard bosses. I imagine people that enjoyed Etrian Odyssey or replaying games like FF1 or DQ3 would be the ideal target audience for this game.

That being said, for those willing to poke around in all the nooks and crannies, I have included a secret sub plot that will hopefully be a good twist for anyone hungry for plot.

If the feedback I receive is generally positive, my intention is to completely replace all assets with custom assets (nothing too fancy, something that looks like it could run on gameboy color or SNES is what Id aim for) and while the dialogue will always be hokey and light-hearted, I will revamp the script if the reception is positive. I would also want to add about 30% more items/equipment and abilities as well as significantly more enemy types.
So what I'm mainly seeking feedback on is:

- Is this concept fun or boring?
- Do you find any particular classes boring/fun?
- Do you find any classes overpowered or underpowered?
- What about particular bosses? Any particularly fun or tedious?
- Any difficulty spikes you are noting that are sapping the fun from your playthrough?
- Tell me what you love/hate about it
- BUGS! Let me know if you find any clearly broken behaviors or bugs. Any details on exactly how/when/where you encountered them would be invaluable!

Playtime - Because its so early, playtime is still TBD but I have included Playtester items that will dramatically speed up testing. I myself have beat the game from start to finish in around 3-4 hours with these items but also, I know how all the bosses work...

Content - There is some blood and swearing in the game if you look for the secret content but I doubt it would warrant beyond a T rating.

Please reply or message me if interested and I will send the link. Windows and Mac both supported, I am not working on any mobile versions yet though this would at some point be ideal (this feels like it has the most potential as basically an Idle Game / something to do while you watch TV or ride a bus, etc.

Thank you!
Happy to play test - in a Mac user though.

Twofla

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Super cool concept, I'll be happy to try it too!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
im no grinder, but I love the challenge to beat games on lowest level possible.
while I'm experience beta tester, I can give it a shot in my free time.

probably around tomorrow when possible :)

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
im no grinder, but I love the challenge to beat games on lowest level possible.
while I'm experience beta tester, I can give it a shot in my free time.

probably around tomorrow when possible :)
Sent you the latest build of ToT 0.05! Thanks for playing!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll give it a shot. I love Etrian Odyssey and nothing-but-bosses games like Shadow of the Colossus.

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll give it a shot. I love Etrian Odyssey and nothing-but-bosses games like Shadow of the Colossus.
I have messaged you the latest link to the Alpha!
Thank you!

- Ozma

Ozmahunter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Happy to play test - in a Mac user though.
Hi Ophiucus Games,

I'm sorry for the delay! I haven't made a new build of the Mac OS version since 0.01 (currently working on 0.06) so I don't want to send you the old, buggy version.
I need to create the build on Mac though because every time I try on PC, it creates a file that won't run for Mac users, so I just haven't been able to transfer the data to my Mac to create the new Mac version but should be able to this weekend. I apologize for the delay and thank you for your interest!

- Ozma

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
trying to make a Dialogue Script in Indonesian,first. then translate into English.

this is the reason why i'm terrible at this section beside making the enemies :stare:
Made a Mapping Tutorial on Adding Lighting/Shadows using Tileset

Currently working on a playlist of songs that have inspired my work on revamping Battle Castle, and making sure they flow decently from one to the next. I will be posting it whenever I upload my next demo.
This is the first song in the playlist.
Artists out there, is there something RPG maker related you wish your graphics software had but doesn't? (Something like automatically transform a wall tile into a cylindrical tower). I want to give a boost to WecTools, but I'm dry of ideas right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Book