Playtesting error: Manifest is not valid JSON

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm currently trying to playtest a RMMZ project, but whenever I click the playtest button this error appears:
"Failed to load extension from: /User/[username here]/Documents/[RPG name here] . Manifest is not valid JSON. Can't read file."
So far I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling RMMZ, deleting package.json and replacing the package.json with one from a new project, but nothing has worked so far. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"failed to load" can have exactly three possible causes:

1) the file is missing
2) the file is damaged
3) the folderpath to the place of the file breaks the networking rules.

the third is the one that most often happens to new users, but because you censored the folderpath we can't tell if that is the case here.
both the username-folder and the project name must not contain any spaces or any of the other restricted symbols.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, I see- thanks for the help. My project name had indeed contained a space; however, after removing it, a new problem has emerged. Now when I click the playtest button this screen appears:
1656941578728.png
I don't believe that Chrome should even open in this case- would anyone know what might've gone wrong and how this could be fixed? Again, thanks in advance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the internal playtest function is based with the chromium engine, the same engine that powers the chrome browser.

there are several reasons I can think of for this error, but it is much rarer.
for example there are problems if you allowed Microsoft to move your userfolders into their cloudspace, and a few other things.
can you move the project to a regular folder like c:\projects and then try again?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Pardon me, but what do you mean by moving the project to a regular folder?
Also, I probably should've specified that I'm using Mac rather Windows.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
moving the project to a regular folder?
the user folder has added functionality and special attributes.
a regular folder is any folder you make on any regular harddrive, one that is not created by the system.

and that is the same for win and mac

but which Mac and which MacOS are you using?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not sure I executed your instructions properly, but once I moved the project to a regular folder it claims that "Actors.json is unreadable".
I'm using macOS Big Sur, version 11.5.2.
Edit: A little update to the situation: I created a new project (without a space in the name) to see if the same problem was there, and apparently the "Manifest is not valid JSON error" reappears in new projects.
Edit 2: After uninstalling and reinstalling RMMZ the "Manifest is not valid JSON" error is back in all projects.
Edit 3: I managed to solve the problem by moving the RMMZ folder to Downloads rather than Documents; this thread can be locked now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's a showcase of layers of visual effects I've added over a scene. By stripping them off, one by one. :kaoblush:

Aaaaand, here's me working on the above scene, adding weather effects to it: :kaoeh:

DamageActor1_2.png added!
index.php

Krow and Dova's Cool New Game | Release Trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jirohdyt