Please, can someone tell me about this lighting tool?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by ShaflaHopeLove, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ShaflaHopeLove

ShaflaHopeLove Student WINNER! Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I doubted putting this in the plugin forum, since this is a separate tool, so I'll put it here. In case it is incorrect, please let me know.

A few weeks ago I saw screenshots of games in MV with a very beautiful lighting and / or color palette, which really gave a unique atmosphere to the game's scenarios. Today, that I have a good internet, I decided to see how I could use a lighting / tone system and I found this video:

Unlike the other results, this seems (It seems, I'm sorry, right now I can't watch the full video, and that lasts only 2 minutes) to be a separate program that doesn't require a plugin.

I have no problem using one or several plugins to give the tone that I want to my game, but I think that with this tool the thing is facilitated much more than with scripting calls at events.

Has anyone used this tool? Its viable? Is it still advisable to use plugins for this section?

Dudaba de poner esto en el foro de plugins, ya que esto es una herramienta aparte, así que lo pondré aquí. En caso de que sea incorrecto avisenme porfavor.

Hace unas semanas he visto capturas de pantalla de juegos en MV con una iluminación y/o paleta de colores muy hermosa, que de verdad le daba una atmosfera unica a los escenarios del juego. Hoy, que tengo un buen internet, decidí ver como podía hacer uso de un sistema de iluminación/tono y me encontré con este video:

A diferencia de los demás resultados, este parece (Parece, lo siento, ahora mismo no puedo ver el video completo, y eso que dura solo 2 minutos) ser un programa aparte que no requiere de plugin.

No tengo problemas en usar uno o varios plugins para darle el tono que quiero a mi juego, pero creo que con esta herramienta la cosa se facilita muchísimo más que con llamadas de scripts en los eventos.

¿Alguien ha usado esta herramienta? ¿Es viable? ¿Sigue siendo recomendable el uso de plugins para este apartado?

2. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can find tutorials to this plugin here:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lighting-and-time-editor-continued.86409/

It is a wonderful plugin. It does have a few compatibility issues with a few other plugins, which is stated on the page.
    I would recommend it if you are wanting some ambient lights or torch light effects in your game. Just remember that too many can be distracting :)

Khas also has a lighting script that I highly enjoy. It is at least worth a look. it can be found here:
    http://arcthunder.blogspot.com/p/tutorial-advanced-lighting.html

ShaflaHopeLove likes this.
  3. ShaflaHopeLove

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! But your reply has asked me more questions, so if you don't mind ... :aswt:

Khas' script ... I'll be honest, whoever has "advanced" in the title makes me nervous. How high is the difficulty to turn it on? One or two weeks ... Or much longer?

The goal I want to achieve is a colorful and bright color palette and lighting, so I want to know if it is possible to do it with the tool I put in the first post, if not, it will be time to learn the Khas script. :kaosigh:

I can't think of a better example than the Archeia game Therese saves the world. Here two screenshots of the game (taken from the thread of the game) that left me shocked (In a good way).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much again, kitty. :kaoluv:

4. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Difficulty depends on your knowledge of the engine and of JavaScript. I would call them both beginner to intermediate difficulty dependent on what you are trying to accomplish, whether it is just placing some lights or making your own custom lights.
    However, there are a plethora of tutorials on YouTube where people are kind enough to explain how to use the plugins and some even give examples and have demos you can download so you can see first hand how they setup a light.

5. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just wanted to add, Therese Saves the World seems to have had it's lighting done through parallax mapping and possibly also screen tints, not a lighting plugin. Though lighting plugins can be really cool too! :kaoluv:

6. Ossra

Ossra Formerly Exhydra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mmhmm ... you can pull off some interesting lighting effects with just a tint and a picture. Though I have to admit that dynamic lighting can look really nice (and also save time).

[​IMG]

ShaflaHopeLove and SmashArtist like this.
  7. ShaflaHopeLove

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! So I can achieve light effects such as capturing events without the need for plugins? :kaojoy:

What are the best tutorials to learn how to do those effects? If they are written (posts, articles ...) I would greatly appreciate it.

Really, thank you very much for your help! :kaoluv:

8. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have to warn you, parallax mapping takes a lot of time and effort, it can't achieve real-time shadow effects like some lighting plugins can(for example the player moves around a light and their shadow direction changes depending on their position relative to the light source could only be done with a lighting plugin that allows that), and it also actually requires plugins to lock the images to the map.
    Parallax mapping essentially is making a map(or just the shadows and lighting of a map) through an image editor and then using a plugin to have those pictures appear above or below the player on the map. This can be a lot of work.
    So as Ossra said above, dynamic lighting can save time(the screenshot they showed most likely was made with the use of a dynamic lighting plugin).
    Both methods are fine, whichever fits your purpose, is easier for you and/or looks nicer to you. If you're interested in parallax mapping there are a bunch of videos and written tutorials online!

9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Since your post started by asking about a plug-in we will move this to plug-in support. Feel free to still talk about parallax mapping though as it is an alternative to the plug-in.

Moved to Plug-In support

I should warn you parallax mapping is very tricky to do well, and is also resource intensive. I'd not suggest it myself for a first project. But I'd also not suggest a lighting plug-in for a first project either. Keep it simple or else your first project will take you 5 years like mine did.

10. Ossra

Ossra Formerly Exhydra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShaflaHopeLove Yes, you can create some neat lighting effects with just an image and a screen tint. However, the downside is that you are going to probably spend a lot of time creating that lighting overlay image. Both options -- lighting image and lighting plugin -- have some drawbacks.

Also, you will need at least one plugin to bind your lighting picture in place, as pictures move with the screen by default. Also, I was using another small plugin that tinted and colored the character sprite, as well (to make the character blend in more). The shadow under the character is another plugin, too. But, with just an 'image bind' plugin and a screen tint you can create a good atmosphere.

[​IMG]

Here is the base room without the lighting image or screen tint.

[​IMG]
    This is the lighting image that I used. I had to manually create a cut-out of the areas I wanted to be 'in the light' and add a fade into the darkness. On larger maps, doing this could be rather time consuming. Also, if you changed your map, you would need to go back and adjust your lighting image, possibly sapping more time. This is where dynamic lighting plugins are wonderful time savers.

[​IMG]
    And here is the result when the picture blend mode is set to 'multiply' and the opacity set to 155. Slightly less nifty without the added shadow and tinted character, but still neat.

ShaflaHopeLove and SmashArtist like this.
  11. ShaflaHopeLove

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! :kaopride: It really looks great. Not what I was looking for but I am satisfied. A tutorial that you recommend to do it in detail? And another thing, can you add color? that is, black is a color in a dark tone, but not so dark as to hide where it is, and light as that same color but lighter.
    Thanks for the advice! :awink: I have a good amount of advice on things you should do and not do when it comes to your first project.

Out of curiosity, do they allow theory posts? That is "What you should take into account to have an original story" or "tips for x design in your game"

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Theory Design is usually under Game Mechanics Design as long as it is related to a game. Just remember it is not meant to be project specific there so you'll get advice that applies in general, though people will mention their projects as examples.

13. ShaflaHopeLove

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks is good to know. But I said to do that kind of topics since in that section I have experience. :ahappy: