Suggestion Please, for the love of god, bring back the old animations.

KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please, for the love that all that is holy, PLEASE bring back the old animation system from MV. The new animations in MZ is legitimately terribly made and the editor is 100 times worse. Implementing effectseer was one of the worst choices you could have possible made. I could possibly deal with not being able to create my own animations if the program came with some decent ones, but NO. The default animations included in MZ are legitimate trash, and even worse they're is not even a single new animation that wasn't in MV. Still no special move animations for any weapon that isn't a sword, axe, or, spear, (like bows, guns, whips, daggers, ect) still no elemental animations for anything that isn't fire, ice, or thunder elemental, and still no biting, wing, peck, or stealing animation at all. Along with that, the animations are extremely distorted, mostly invisible, and overly detailed so you can't even tell what's going on. They also changed the "breaking" animation so that it no longer actually breaks. The animations also tend to come in from the foreground instead of coming from the actual characters, making the animations look extremely sloppy. Finally, the animations don't structure correctly on enemies and actors, often floating in the air and not being stated on the ground which is what they were supposed to do. This is absolutely unacceptable for a program I paid $200 for ($100 for the engine and another $100 for the essential visuastella plugins) which is the same price as a freaking Nintendo switch. When you have worse animations than freaking VX Ace, a program released 1 and a half decade ago, (2007 to 2009 I think) which costs only $30 dollars usually and often goes on sale for literal dollars along with hundreds, if not thousands of free plugins instead of every single plugin released now costing lutacrious prices, which I paid for in full, not counting each and every creator's p-sites in order to get exclusive content. I'm not saying VX Ace is better than MV or MZ. Those newer ones are obviously superiror, it's just infurating that the plugins that I paid $100 for only work in MZ, MZ having only garbage animations with no feasible way to crrate avtualy good ones without taking a $1000 college class on 3D modeling, and it being against TOS to port the MZ plguins to MV even for your own personal use just so they can make more money. PLEASe PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back the old animation system from MV along wit hthe casasets or my $200 will co comgeom[els to waste pleas eehlpep.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
1: A switch costs 299.99
2: I agree

Edit: Sorry if I sound calm about this, I'm just tired

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This should help you. You can do 2d animation in Effeckseer. From there, just get the frames from MV or Ace or whatever you feel like.

TIP: Read before you buy. There are lots of videos on YT explaining the pros and cons of MZ and MV, including the new animations, and the plugin incompatibility.
Knowing that, I chose to stay with MV. If you bought it early or on impulse, that's your problem.

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Please, for the love that all that is holy, PLEASE bring back the old animation system from MV. The new animations in MZ is legitimately terribly made and the editor is 100 times worse. Implementing effectseer was one of the worst choices you could have possible made. I could possibly deal with not being able to create my own animations if the program came with some decent ones, but NO. The default animations included in MZ are legitimate trash, and even worse they're is not even a single new animation that wasn't in MV. Still no special move animations for any weapon that isn't a sword, axe, or, spear, (like bows, guns, whips, daggers, ect) still no elemental animations for anything that isn't fire, ice, or thunder elemental, and still no biting, wing, peck, or stealing animation at all. Along with that, the animations are extremely distorted, mostly invisible, and overly detailed so you can't even tell what's going on. They also changed the "breaking" animation so that it no longer actually breaks. The animations also tend to come in from the foreground instead of coming from the actual characters, making the animations look extremely sloppy. Finally, the animations don't structure correctly on enemies and actors, often floating in the air and not being stated on the ground which is what they were supposed to do. This is absolutely unacceptable for a program I paid $200 for ($100 for the engine and another $100 for the essential visuastella plugins) which is the same price as a freaking Nintendo switch. When you have worse animations than freaking VX Ace, a program released 1 and a half decade ago, (2007 to 2009 I think) which costs only $30 dollars usually and often goes on sale for literal dollars along with hundreds, if not thousands of free plugins instead of every single plugin released now costing lutacrious prices, which I paid for in full, not counting each and every creator's p-sites in order to get exclusive content. I'm not saying VX Ace is better than MV or MZ. Those newer ones are obviously superiror, it's just infurating that the plugins that I paid $100 for only work in MZ, MZ having only garbage animations with no feasible way to crrate avtualy good ones without taking a $1000 college class on 3D modeling, and it being against TOS to port the MZ plguins to MV even for your own personal use just so they can make more money. PLEASe PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back the old animation system from MV along wit hthe casasets or my $200 will co comgeom[els to waste pleas eehlpep.
This came across as more of a rant than a proper suggestion/feedback. If you want to be taken seriously, you might want to organize your thoughts a bit. I'd take the price out of the equation here, because it's distracting from your request entirely. There's a free trial version for a reason and no one forced you to purchase an extra $100 of plugins. If you didn't like how the animations looked, you could have easily backed out of this prior to purchase and prior to buying all those extra plugins, so I would say you really only have yourself to blame if you don't agree with their pricing.

If your complaint is about not liking the new animation system, you might want to structure your post accordingly. For example:

I would suggest implementing the previous battle animation system from MV into RMMZ for the following reasons:

• The previous battle animation system is much easier to work with and more user-friendly.
  • The previous battle animations were of a much higher-quality than the Effekseer battle animations
  • There's already plenty of pre-made resources already available in that format that are backwards compatible
  • The old battle animations lag less than the Effekseer battle animations

Note that I don't own RMMZ, so these are not my opinions, but hopefully it'll give you an idea on how to better present your thoughts so you don't come off so whiny.

With that being said, I'm pretty certain you can import your RMMV battle animations into RMMZ (assuming you own RMMV as well) I know it's not an ideal solution, but it is a work around in the mean-time. I'm sure if you do a forum search something will come up. Good luck!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In addition to what Nate said, you can actually use MV animations in MZ by copying the JSON from an MV project over to an MZ one. You can't preview them in the editor, but when playing they work the same.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I remember a quaint time when I used MV's awful animation system...
Then I figured out with the aide of any Event Spawner plus any one of the following..

A far more powerful animation system could be created. ...Then I discovered Particle Emitter could far and away defeat that. So ironically Effekseer was a large selling point for MZ for me (even though I got it as a gift) as it provides 3D animations, something not easily available before.

Anyway for what it's worth, at least 2 of those methods still work in MZ. I haven't gone back to try the others out. So if you're looking for alternatives to make your extra purchase of 3rd party MZ plugins worth it... Maybe look into those?

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I remember a quaint time when I used MV's awful animation system...
Then I figured out with the aide of any Event Spawner plus any one of the following..

A far more powerful animation system could be created. ...Then I discovered Particle Emitter could far and away defeat that. So ironically Effekseer was a large selling point for MZ for me (even though I got it as a gift) as it provides 3D animations, something not easily available before.

Anyway for what it's worth, at least 2 of those methods still work in MZ. I haven't gone back to try the others out. So if you're looking for alternatives to make your extra purchase of 3rd party MZ plugins worth it... Maybe look into those?
in my opinion... they should have ADDED the efekseer instead of REPLACING the old animation system so user can choose which one to choose... of course we can still use MV animation now using the workaround and plugins... but it would be better if we can still edit the animation in MZ instead of having to back and forth between MV and MZ...

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Implementing effectseer was one of the worst choices you could have possible made.
As much as I don't like Effekseer myself due to my personal preference, I don't think it is the worst choice ever made. Objectively speaking, sooner or later they need a better animation editor than just simply using the primitive animation editor.

The reason is simple, MZ allows you to change your game screen to use more than the default screen resolution. To support such a feature, you have to change the animation to allow it to play in whatever resolution that the dev decides. Effekseer addressed this issue. Unlike the old animation in which you're bound to a certain size both the frame and the maximum x,y coordinate. This won't be possible if you're using MV animation editor due to such limitations.

MV was fine because it does not offer a resolution change by default. And if a plugin changes the resolution, then all the responsibilities are on them when something happens. Unlike MZ, they offer you a resolution change by default.

That said, people already gave you the solution for this.
You can copy animations.json from the MV project and use it in your MZ project without a problem. You just can not preview it. But you need MV to edit it.

As much as I don't think that would "makes sense" to bring back the old animation system in MZ by the software design (I'm skeptical if they would do it), I agree that would be nice to have.

but it would be better if we can still edit the animation in MZ instead of having to back and forth between MV and MZ...
They want you to buy both

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see your post @KrimsonKatt in two parts:
1- A feedback for the RPG Maker dev team
2- And a rant about having wasted your money

Answering Part 1:
I'm sure they appreciate any, and all feedback. They may not bring the older animation system back in MZ. But perhaps they will not use effekseer in their next RPG Maker version. (I do not know; I'm simply suggesting that feedback usually works like a seed. It can slowly grow, and bear fruit years down the line. So all feedback is appreciated.)

Answering Part 2: You... have to take responsibility here. You have bought something you realize you do not need. And that's okay.
A lot of us do that... PTSD - Post Traumatic Spending Disorder
We fall into temptation, and we buy things.

Now you already have it; best make use of it.
Regarding plugins, I'd like to shamelessly self market point out that there are a ton of free MZ plugins available. I'm collecting and sharing new releases in this spreadsheet every single day:

(And so many more free plugins will likely come out that you will never be able to go through every single one. Also, I recommend going through every single one, and testing them out. It's super fun!)

Free plugins, like free games, aren't marketed. So it's not your fault for not coming across them as much. And thinking the only ones around are the pay-walled ones.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The engine was packaged with a way to use MV style animations in your MZ game if you wish, they gave you both. Granted you have to own MV for this to be a possibility, but it sounds like you do.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's also pinned in this very board you posted:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is unrelated to your actual topic, as I feel your point has been thoroughly addressed.

But to throw a suggestion at you...put a bit more time and thought into your posts. I have noticed this in general across your topics, but this one is particularly bad. When you write in huge run-on sentences, it is hard to keep track of the sentence and understand what you're saying. And when you use zero paragraphs and present a huge block of text, it's even harder to read through it and keep your place. These pieces of grammar exist for a reason.

When communicating through written English, it will benefit you to use it more carefully. Not only will you be more likely to get responses because people understand what you're saying, but you'll be taken more seriously.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?
Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lumivos