A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been learning RMMV since I have received this engine in 2015. I have bought it as a pre-order (with bonuses) for $71.99. I have liked this engine and this year I have worked to learn it a lot more and have liked it even more. So now I really like this engine. But I still have issues with it.

What I want to know is how to learn this engine more. I can't learn how to create plugins and I am sure that there are plugins available for just about everything that I need.

Oh! I also want to learn about how to master various battle systems such as CTB (I have actually used this one quite extensively though I could still improve), ATB (I don't know much about it and didn't even play all those Final Fantasy games that have used this so much), STB and DTB. Maybe I can play games to "inspire" me? I can even play other RM games using these battle systems, and even purchase them just to study the battle systems. Maybe you guys can even recommend me which (free or paid) RM games with such battle systems I can use? I prefer to purchase them via itch.io. I want battle systems with really good fighting gameplay based on these battle systems.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how to code, but I think the best way to learn how to make MV plugin is to learn Javascript in general (because it uses Javascript). After that, you can analyze how MV plugins work.

If you're interested in custom battles, check out Moghunter. He have several battle related plugins (either by changing the system itself or customizing the visuals). There are also great tactical battle plugins called SRPG Engine and Tactics System.

I can't point you to RM games with custom battles, since I don't play RM games that much. I think you don't have to actually play the games, if your sole purpose is to learn the battle system. Just analyzing them through the demos provided by plugin creators is enough (imo).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't learn how to create plugins and I am sure that there are plugins available for just about everything that I need.
I think the best way to learn how to make MV plugin is to learn Javascript in general (because it uses Javascript). After that, you can analyze how MV plugins work.

I think the OP is saying they DON'T want to learn how to make plugins, and they don't need to because there are plenty of plugins around that do so much already.

To learn what you can do with the engine, find and play games. You can look in the Completed Games section to see games that have been made by forum members. You can also purchase games made with different versions of RPG Maker - a lot of the capabilities are the same between the different versions. Aldorlea Games is a very reputable site with a LOT of RPG Maker games, and you're bound to get realistic reviews there without the "RPG Maker hate". And as you say, you can also get some on itch.io but you'd have to filter it down to just RPG Maker games.

To learn how to do different things, check out the tutorials on the blog on this site, watch the "let's make a game" series that Touchfuzzy is doing (many of the things will apply to MV as well as MZ, maybe there's just a slightly different way to do some things like mapping & plugin calls). Check out the Driftwood Gaming channel on youtube.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
this is youtube tutorial series by SRDude

there's also some other people tutorial such as
and

hope this help.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are also great tactical battle plugins called SRPG Engine and Tactics System.
Lol, I guess most people avoid LTBS (LeCode's Tactical Battle System) like the plague. I admit, it's definitely not something for beginners though, but I find it to be the most powerful TBS out there, despite some compatibility issues. It's also the only TBS that features individual turn order so units can act in the order of highest to lowest Agi/Speed.

If you want a good non-tactical battle system, I recommend Olivia's Order Turn Battle ( OTB ) system.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason
I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rafe24