RMMV Plug-ins to create Pseudo-Rear-View Battle System

Kaizaran

GFMC Omega Division, Master Chief Petty Officer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all; hoping this is the right place to post! it's been a long ass time since I did any kind of tinkering with RPG Maker but I'm at a place in life where I think I'm ready to jump right back into it.

The short of it is that I more or less want to do something very similar to the battlers seen in this project. I tagged the thread as MV because that's what I'm working in right now, but I am also open to using MZ. Let me explain a bit more, to make it clear exactly what I want to do (I don't want to steal this dev's work or ideas, promise!). Basically, what I want to know is what plugins I need to look at to do the following:
  • Camera movement for player and enemy actions, with party members, enemies and BG animated on three separate parallax layers in that order
  • Large sprite of ONLY the party member whose turn it is appears alongside player's battle menu
  • When the player chooses an action, the sprite animates accordingly & fades out while the enemy is hit. Rather than panning back to the same party member like in the above video, though, I'd want to have the next party member appear
  • During enemy turns, only the sprite of the party member being targeted appears, with a dodge, get-hurt or get-KO'd animation
  • If possible, I'd like to be able to give enemies idle, attack, hurt and death animations as well instead of static like the video
  • Also if possible (and I do know this would take a ton of spriting work), different player attack animations depending on the weapon equipped and preferably different sprites altogether depending on armor equipped
  • Also if possible, be able to configure camera movement and enemy animations for battle intros for special fights
To be clear, I'm not necessarily asking anyone to make a plug-in for me, nor am I asking someone to do the sprite work for the rear-view party members, and I know the sprites themselves can be drawn from any perspective I want if I put in the work. I'm just asking which plugins can be used to accomplish this overall style from a visual/animation standpoint.

I've looked at Victor Engine's Battler Graphics, Yanfly's Action Sequence Packs, and Moghunter's Battle Camera plugins, but the showcase videos for those all either have too much going on or don't go in depth enough, so I'm not sure without spending a lot of time tinkering with them if they would work together or if any or all of these would be able to do everything I'm wanting. As such, I would greatly appreciate any insight.

As I said above, I'm currently working in MV but am very much open to the idea of migrating to MZ if that's required to do this advanced type of stuff, or if the kind of plugins matching my needs only exist in it. Money isn't an object (within reason) for my wants right now, so I'm completely down to buy MZ to get this done. Hell, I'd even look at paying scripters (and spriters!) if it's a situation where no such plugins exist currently and the dev in the video probably had to make their own.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kaizaran

GFMC Omega Division, Master Chief Petty Officer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was a pretty active thread just recently about how to create this effect, primarily using caethyril's StepY and Yanfly's Action Sequence plugins. There's also another plugin I forget the name of that did it.

If you do a forum search for Phantasy Star and for front battle, you should find the threads that have instructions on it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adra