Plug-Ins, Tools, and Tutorials - PVGames Assets

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updated: added a new tutorial from @Zyphli about swapping weapon sprites depending on what weapon is equipped. Very handy!

turbobumblepuppy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Firstly, thanks for these top notch assets, Jesse! I'm working on a few projects with them at the moment, and very much enjoy the style and feel that your artwork adds to the games. They probably won't be ready for a while, as there are a few other projects I'm working on with other assets that are nearer to completion, so I want to get those out of the way first, but I'll share some screenshots of my projects featuring your pieces as soon as I can. One of them I have decided to use the main RPG Maker editor to create, just to save time, as my Photoshop skills are not adequate enough for parallaxing and I don't need such detail for the game to work. Another one is using the doodads, which gives that game more graphical flexibility, but I'm still trying to get my head around the layers and moveability access, which may take my scrawny non-technical brain some time! The third project is going to be super epic, but may take years, so I'm going to take that one very gradually indeed. I hope the other 2 could be out next year sometime. Anyway, on with the main point of my post...

Added an open version of my IGMC game to the main list:

Example PVGames Game, The Last Journey (IGMC 2018 entry):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohcpkuaxi4h0oe0/TheLastJourney_Open.zip?dl=0
This is helpful for the behind-the-scenes aspects of layouts, and I'm really enjoying playing through the game - it's got all of the proper solid RPG game elements. However, in one of the games I'm developing, the battle system I'd like to use is something more like the one in your other game, Unsung Heroes, which seems to have a different plug-in setup to The Last Journey. Could you let us know the plug-in rundown that you use for that Unsung Heroes, if it's ok with you? You've given the names of the plug-in creators in the documentation, but not the specific plug-ins themselves, which would be extremely useful for me to see, and I have a feeling for others too!

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heya @turbobumblepuppy ! Thanks for the kind words!

So the battle system between the two games (Unsung Heroes and The Last Journey) is pretty much the same, just a lot more refined (and with more visual feedback) in The Last Journey. Otherwise, they are both just turn-based and both have a heavy reliance on utilizing and exploiting status effects. I am fairly certain they use most of the same plug-ins as well. I am not sure what is much different that caught your eye with Unsung Heroes. Is there a specific aspect you would like information on?

turbobumblepuppy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi Jesse. You've pretty much nailed what I meant really. The Unsung Heroes style of battle is more stripped down from The Last Journey, without so many magic effect animations and highlighted skill choices or status buffs, and that's more what would fit in my current WIP game I'm making with your assets. If it's just that Unsung Heroes uses the majority of the plug-ins as The Last Journey, but in a more pared down way, I think that generally answers my question. All of the glowing status effect change images and colourful skill choice indicators would work well in my later game, but the current one is based in a realistic setting, so the magic effects wouldn't work for that. I just require the nuts-and-bolts side-view battle system with perhaps a few neat enhanced skills, like Counter Attack, so think I'll just have a sift through the plug-ins for The Last Journey to see how those all apply, and it should mostly be covered. One last point though: visually, the battle HUD for Unsung Heroes is more what I was looking for, with the square face images set lower down across the bottom, with the 2 health and MP bars. Which plug-in(s) did you use for that style?

Sorry if these are slightly dumb questions, only I've mainly been working in VX Ace on my earlier projects, but want to develop into MV using your materials to take it to the next level (having diagonal movement and more character frames for smoother movement is freaking awesome!), it's just that the plug-in side is giving me a bit of a headache working out what's needed for what. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Those are all the same plugins as in the Last Journey for the most part, truly! Both games had to be made in 30 days for their respective competitions, so for the Last Journey, I just took what worked from Unsung Heroes and rolled with it. There's not a whole lot there that wasn't in Unsung Heroes. The things you are describing can be omitted entirely as you choose :) As for the faces, I think I just fiddled with some settings or another with one of Yanfly's plugins (I don't recall which one). The border frames and such are part of the images themselves, so no plugin needed for that, just add a border to the face image.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Quick! Someone give me a snake pun about moving.
Meet the crew...Arrrr!
Who knew modern medieval was an actual music genre? I don't know what the youtube algorithms are doing but for once they found something actually fascinating:
Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rai1209