NIGIC

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Plugin Dependency Manager (DependencyManager) 1.0.0

by NIGIC

Description

While working on a custom framework, I noticed that there was no way to link my modules together and identify dependencies between the plugins. As projects grow larger, you need some way to keep track of how the different modules interact together, which are incompatible, which are required, etc.

This is an utility plugin aiming to help resolve those relationships. Supporting plugins can declare dependencies and conflicts with other plugins, which are verified at the end of the loading stage, and any detected issues are pushed to the console as warnings, with a pop-up alerting you of their presence. (Alerts currently disabled by default until they're cleaned up a bit.)

Features

- Allows easy management of plugin dependencies and conflicts, including their relative positioning.

- Operates transparently, and virtually invisible to the end user.

- Target plugins do not require any modification; they only need to be declared.

- Only requires a few lines of code to get going.

- Designed not to require any dependencies to the plugin itself. By following the example code, execution will skip the manager-specific code if if not present.

Download from Google Drive

How-to

[Game Makers]

- Place the plugin at the very top of your plugin list. (You can cut-paste it to the first line.) If it's not the first plugin to run, then it may fail to catch some declarations.

- Run the game.

- If any dependency issues are detected, they will be listed as warnings in the debug console (F8). If enabled, a pop-up message will warn you of their presence.

- Correct your plugins list as required.

[Plugin Writers]

A number of new functions are added to the PluginManager to declare new relationships:

// Equals true if the Dependencies plugin is active. Use it to prevent issues if this plugin isn't present.PluginManager.dependencies// Defines the calling plugin for logging purposes.PluginManager.setCaller(name);// Defines a new dependency.PluginManager.requires(name);// Defines a new dependency. Required plugin must be above the caller.PluginManager.requiresBefore(name);// Defines a new dependency. Required plugin must be below the caller.PluginManager.requiresAfter(name);// Defines a new conflict.PluginManager.conflicts(name);// Defines a new conflict. Will only trigger if conflicting plugin is above the caller. .PluginManager.conflictsBefore(name);// Defines a new conflict. Will only trigger if conflicting plugin is below the caller. .PluginManager.conflictsAfter(name);And as for some example code:

(function() { //-- Dependencies --// if (PluginManager.dependencies) { PluginManager.setCaller('MyPlugin'); PluginManager.requires('MyUtilities'); PluginManager.conflictsAfter('OverridingMyStuff'); } //-- Hi! --// alert('Hello World!');})();Terms and conditions

This plugin is provided as-is. You can use, share, modify, copy, eat the code as you wish. Though I wouldn't recommend modifying it without warning, for compatibility's sake.

To-Dos

- Version control. There's some examples of how to declare versioning in the help text, but as of right now it's completely ignored. Of note, this will only work for plugins supporting DependencyManager, as there's no standard versioning for RMMV plugins.

- Improve user feedback. A nice, Steam-like pop-up frame in the corner would be perfect for this script's intent.

- Support for conditional relations and more. Third-party compatibility packs would be impossible to implement within the current setup. (Or rather, it would not remove the initial conflict warning between the two plugins.)

- Add some utility functions to check whether a specific plugin exists. Because why not.

Change Log

[1.0.0] 2015-10-26 - Initial release

----

Thought I'd share this right away. Not sure why it's not a core feature of MV; having all that stuff available in the headers/plugins.js would be trivial, and there's only so much you can do in self-contained modules. Oh well. Probably won't be touching it for a while. It's fairly bare-bones, and probably not thoroughly tested, but it does its job. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Hopefully some of you find some use out of it.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Looks great. I like this approach much more than the old Imported method.

I have a question.

The plugin manager uses filenames as keys for plugins. This causes problems for scripters when they need to access parameters that are set in the plugin manager, because if users change the name of the file, the plugin manager doesn't recognize it.

A solution is offered here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47591-how-to-get-plugin-parameters-without-knowing-your-filename/

But I feel like if I'm registering a plugin already, especially if I specify the name of my plugin, then I expect the plugin manager to return the config settings for my plugin when I use the same name.

Tarumes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
- removed -

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event
The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Lanza) that adds 5 more weather effects to our MV games. :LZYsmile: Namely:
Ash-dust,
bloodrain,
Cherry Blossom Petals,
Hail,
and bubbles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takufy