Plugin Maker thread : what's your plan for RM MZ?

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(PS : if this is the wrong section could you please move it to the appriopriate section? thank you)

Hi there!

So just to warn this isn't a suggestion thread or a thread to speak which features we wants in the game etc it's a thread where plugin maker can discuss the type of plugin they would love to implement in MZ.

(Assuming that some of those features MIGHT or might not be implemented who knowns?)

If I begin one of the biggest plugin I would implement first in the new RM would be :

Advanced Currencies && trading

Explaination : in simple allow to have multiple currencies in the game and which have for goal to implement more 'mercantile' system? I would love to dev a game around just trading and managing?

Advanced Inn system :
I loved yami Inn system and wanted to push it out a little more!

Magic elemental system :
I love magic mixing like Arc rise fantasia (where two element can unlock a new element etc) and would love to implement it.

Advanced Shopping system
a more advance shopping system where you have a shopkeeper etc.

so far this what I would love to work right away once MZ is out

what about you guys?

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan on first waiting to see what MZ has to offer and then back to study the engine and the new plugin handling features.
But since I won't be needing MZ for years (if at all), I'm kinda conflicted about when and if I'll come around to buy it.

I'll eventually make my MV plugins available for MZ, if there's a need for it.
Other than that, we've been told there's already people working on plugins, so the most popular features should be covered soon enough.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, since there is no place for such a thread, I think I'll leave it here for now. I invite my fellow moderators to move this thread to a more appropriate place if they know where this goes.

I think this is a great idea to help coordinate coders. I would like to participate.

Personally, I would probably code the following plugins as soon as MZ comes out:
  • Achievement Plugin (like my existing achievement plugin for MV).
  • Launch Scene Plugin (essentially 1-2 screens with customizable text/images before the title screen, plus the possibility to play a video before too. Technically an "opening" plugin).
  • Animated Bust message scene. Something like the skit scenes in the Tales Series. I coded a plugin for that in MV, but kept it to myself, so I might make a public one for MZ.
  • ItemBook/MonsterBook. (Not sure about that one though, not as popular as it used to be I think).
  • Region Restriction. This is a fairly simple one, and I'm not sure if Yanfly will stick around, so I could make that plugin if the need arises.
  • Crafting Plugin. Again a simple plugin, and I always have a crafting system in my games. So I don't mind sharing mine.
If no one does a parallax plugin at launch I might make one since I will need one for my current project which I intend to migrate over to MZ just for fun (I'm still early stage so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle).

Feel free to request any popular feature. I'll need to learn about the new engine, so what better way than to code some stuff.

EDIT: Forgot to add a couple plugins. I might update the list again later.

Last edited:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan on first waiting to see what MZ has to offer and then back to study the engine and the new plugin handling features.
But since I won't be needing MZ for years (if at all), I'm kinda conflicted about when and if I'll come around to buy it.

I'll eventually make my MV plugins available for MZ, if there's a need for it.
Other than that, we've been told there's already people working on plugins, so the most popular features should be covered soon enough.
Yep I know that but I don't think it would stop any dev to make their own version etc. so planning for idea could be nice!

Hmm, since there is no place for such a thread, I think I'll leave it here for now. I invite my fellow moderators to move this thread to a more appropriate place if they know where this goes.

I think this is a great idea to help coordinate coders. I would like to participate.

Personally, I would probably code the following plugins as soon as MZ comes out:
  • Achievement Plugin (like my existing achievement plugin for MV).
  • Launch Scene Plugin (essentially 1-2 screens with customizable text/images before the title screen, plus the possibility to play a video before too. Technically an "opening" plugin).
  • Animated Bust message scene. Something like the skit scenes in the Tales Series. I coded a plugin for that in MV, but kept it to myself, so I might make a public one for MZ.
  • ItemBook/MonsterBook. (Not sure about that one though, not as popular as it used to be I think).
  • Region Restriction. This is a fairly simple one, and I'm not sure if Yanfly will stick around, so I could make that plugin if the need arises.
If no one does a parallax plugin at launch I might make one since I will need one for my current project which I intend to migrate over to MZ just for fun (I'm still early stage so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle).

Feel free to request any popular feature. I'll need to learn about the new engine, so what better way than to code some stuff.
haha thanks I just though I would love to be able to discuss idea and such with fellow plugin maker and though the main thread wouldn't fit really much (the hype so strong)

Achievement plugin is something I WOULD always love to do never bothered to do lol (it's not supra complicated tho)

also VN like bust was something on my list as well haha but I am not so strong when it come to Coroutine stuff.

Monster book or an encyclopedia would be pretty nice IMO and for the region restriction I think yanfly plugin will be updated to MZ so I don't think u would have to go the need to do one?

I think one I want to dev a lots is a crafting system / brewing system. I deved one in Unity couple months ago and still remember how to approach so I might love to do a crafting system.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think one I want to dev a lots is a crafting system / brewing system. I deved one in Unity couple months ago and still remember how to approach so I might love to do a crafting system.
LOL, I just added a crafting system to my list while you were writing your post haha!

It seems we have a lot of common interests haha. I also always wanted to do a currency plugin and a finance plugin where you could invest and grow your money. Never made it unfortunately haha. Too many ideas, not enough execution.

Yeah most of those aren't too complicated to code. My more complex plugins (battle system for example) are project specific so by their very nature I can't really share them.

EDIT: Perhaps you should make a list with all the plugins people here intend to make? That way we could follow who's coding what, and what feature to prioritize, etc.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
LOL, I just added a crafting system to my list while you were writing your post haha!

It seems we have a lot of common interests haha. I also always wanted to do a currency plugin and a finance plugin where you could invest and grow your money. Never made it unfortunately haha. Too many ideas, not enough execution.

Yeah most of those aren't too complicated to code. My more complex plugins (battle system for example) are project specific so by their very nature I can't really share them.

EDIT: Perhaps you should make a list with all the plugins people here intend to make? That way we could follow who's coding what, and what feature to prioritize, etc.
Well I don't think a list is necessary as I said earlier to twings I don't mind if people do multiple version of the same script since the approach / design would be different. It motivate to other author to be creative and add options or their own way of approaching the problem.

for me I plan to rely a lots on that the author doesn't feel limited on the currencies. If they feel they want to have 10k type of currencies they can go for it!

I think one of the thing I wanted to add was the 'Country' 'kingdom' currencies where's depending some place you could limit the use of some currencies or they lose their value etc.
not sure how to implement it without making it overly complicated to program/ setup though

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just going to see what the engine does without plugins first, you know, what new features have been added.

Then see what plugins come with.

Then I'll start converting the ones I use for my own game, or the ones I've done for previous engines that have been really popular in the community.

Got a couple of ideas for some larger plugin systems, but going to take more time to flesh those out before jumping in.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Fair! I also have to convert the plugin you did for me in the past about Equipment limitation based on actor it is a pretty fun option I should sit and do.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I might be working on a new Star Ocean-like battle system for MZ (if not available by default).
I've already started this on MV a while back, but it's a side project of mine and since it involves rewriting pretty much the whole battle system,
the engine wouldn't make much of a difference, if anything MZ might be a more friendly framework ?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the engine wouldn't make much of a difference, if anything MZ might be a more friendly framework ?
Who knows? They might have upgraded the javascript/nwjs version (assuming they are still using nwjs). Although there would be an issue of compatibility with the steam api (Greenworks.js only support up to version 0.33.5 for nwjs iirc).

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far the speculation is they rewritten the framework + they updated the JS so now we can use ES6 which allow us a way more CLEANER js (aka having class body)

i.eg :
JavaScript:
Function Scene_Title(){this.initialize.apply(this);} // long time I used MV so I don't recall totally
Scene_Title.prototype = Scene_Base.prototype;

Scene_Title.prototype.initialize = function() {
    Scene_Base.prototype.initialize.call(this);
}

// ES6

class Scene_Title extends Scene_Base {
    constructor(){
        this.initialize();
    }

initialize(){
        base.initialize();
    }
}
as you can see WAY more clean than ES5

it come with some drawback that the wya you extend class is still by doing
JavaScript:
var alias = Scene_Title.prototype.overiddenMethod;
Scene_Title.prototype.OveriddenMethod = function(){
alias.call(this);
// new stuff
}
but it is still fairly simple since it's only when you alias or overide a method.

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im deffo gonna feign patience now and then immediately buy it when it comes out :p

As for what i want, just more customization...Because coding hurts my small brains!

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im deffo gonna feign patience now and then immediately buy it when it comes out :p

As for what i want, just more customization...Because coding hurts my small brains!
just to say this is a thread for programmer to speak about what they want to dev as plugin not for people to speak what kind of features they want.

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far the speculation is they rewritten the framework + they updated the JS so now we can use ES6 which allow us a way more CLEANER js (aka having class body)
MV is already running ES6 since 1.6 (although the core scripts havent been rewritten) so any plugin aimed for MV1.6+ can already be written in ES6.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah knew that but I think the framework being in ES6 will make the script way more cleaner to look at
(unless they are spamming some kind of voodo magic in the code lol then this gonna be nightmarish)

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't (currently) make plug-ins, but MZ may give me an excuse to start. I've been learning JavaScript at work, I do digital design and build in my day job using a what-you-see-is-what-you-get authoring software and use JavaScript for any functionality that's not supported "out of the box". Sound familiar?

Likewise, I've recently been learning Unity and C# on uDemy. I'm getting a firmer grasp on loops, arrays, functions, and states.

I've been enjoying both. Historically, I've been more of an artist than a coder, my degree is even Games Art, but coding is proving to align with my logical, mathematical, problem solving brain.

I think which plug-ins I'll attempt to make will largely depend on what problems / shortfalls MZ has. That's something I'm unlikely to know until its out and I can play around with it.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah many people think in the aspect : fixing problem lol
for me it's just plainly in : I know this feature hella not gonna be added so why not working on that
(I doubt they would go for multiple currencies if they do well I will just push it further!)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I will probably start to try to convert my limited inventory plugin once more for exercise. It's complex enough to be used as an exercise to see how that could be implemented in MZ codebase but not as complicated as any battle-related plugin. Even tho I hate the idea of limited inventory in RM games.

The second is my screen shake plugin. Every RM dev deserves it. Except if the new maker already has that type of screen shake by default.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah haha I think I recall your shake being pretty good?

As far speaking of dev I already began to dev the logic for the currency system since TECHNICALLY
most of the Code logic can be placed into a standalone system independant of RM (which make it easy to convert to MV if I feel to do it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I didn't think I'd spend the evening jamming out to the battle theme of a Hole Punch.
Welcome back to the dark era, where everything is in dark mode!
I'm not complaining! :o
Currently without internet due to storm damage and most of our state is devastated. No idea how long I'll be unable to log onto here, but I'll answer questions as soon as I can.
This is supposed to be pso2 photon blast inspired animation
I'm sure this question's been asked before, but I can't find an answer: is there any way to run the Steam version of RPGMaker *without* being logged into Steam? It's a frustrating extra step sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shorp_