Random Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, this is just a thought I had but I was wondering, if I was ready to deploy my game, would it help performance at all if I took the values that were in all of my plugin parameters, entered them into their proper spots in the plugin code and then removed all of the parameters? I would imagine the extra layers of going from a parameter to a variable and finally being inserted into the line of code would just add extra data. And while a few parameters would be very little in terms of code, 100+ parameters over a bunch Of plugins would probably add up. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this as to whether it’s a good idea or not.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
plugins in the correct (proper order) doesn't affect that much, if it lags to much,
one of the plugin is affecting that, removing the params is never a good idea
while it give wrong values or wrong spots (depends what the plugin does).

it shouldn't affect games deployment as well, things that cannot be done in MV
or able too require much eventing and parallels events which cause more lag
than a plugin that makes it smooth (their own variable to store info in).

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
In general, I don't think so...
But also really depends on how the plugin parameters are set up and how they work inside the code.
I mean, removing the plugin parameters and put the value directly, in theory, it will be faster since the plugins will not have to parse the parameters anymore. But I think it's not a thing that will make any difference after all. It will be faster but no one will be able to tell the difference.
The work you will have t do and the chances that you can do something wrong is not worth it.

[EDIT - Pressed the reply as a mistake xD]

There are some plugins that put eval everywhere, in the past, when I was using MV and wasn't a coder, there are some plugins that delay a little bit the start of the game.
Well, talked too much. My point is that is not worthy, and if you have any noticeable lag, doing this will not solve the problem. If you get the point to have lagged in your project because of the plugin, the plugin parameters will not be the reason for that.

Random Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far I don’t have any lag in particular, this was more of a question about just trying to optimize things as best as I can. I’m probably too paranoid about how things will run on different computer. Plus, I’m still a long way from deployment, I just like to plan ahead. I really appreciate the replies. And this has definitely helped.

OpheliaEnigma

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless the plugin is really badly written, I would say doing that would only speed up the initial loading of the game. Whenever the code is reached the parameters should be parsed already and there won't be any aditional performance issues.

Exception:
- What if the plugin's parameter is a number and, instead of being imediatly parsed as a number, it is parsed every time when the code needs to use it (I have seen plugins do this). This will cause a hit on performance and should be avoided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brassykibbles