Plugin Request: Underpass Tile Plugin (Reversed Version of KDKW's Overpass.js)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Lei-Ray, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Lei-Ray

Lei-Ray Villager Member

First Language:
    Mandarin
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [I have searched the JavaScript Releases forum as well as other posts in RPG maker forums, it seems that all existing posts I have found are not talking about the exact same thing as I want]

Hello guys, thank you for clicking in and check this thread out!

I'm making my 1st game and encountered an issue about the passibility of bridges:

In the original RMMV software, a bridge cannot be set to be able to be passed by both above and under it. However, the KADOKAWA provided a .js plugin that allows you to use regional id tiles to set up the "bridge" region, which allows both to go above it and under it based on the direction you go across the region, shown as the graph:
    upload_2019-11-10_17-57-38.png
    by default the region tiles are #254 and #255, I changed them to #39 and #40. Basically what it does is to set up a "gate" (by #39) to allow you to go above the tiles covered by #40 regions if you went through the gate, I guess.

This works perfectly fine with the bridge from the original RMMV tilesets, as well as most of the vertical-direction bridges from other tilesets.

However, it gets a little bit tricky with those horizontal bridges with handrails, as shown in the graph:
    upload_2019-11-10_18-4-35.png upload_2019-11-10_18-4-55.png upload_2019-11-10_18-5-3.png

You see, it's made up of 3 parts: 1: the upper handrail, 2: the bridge, and 3: the lower handrail.
    the 2nd part is supposed to be set up as "o" to go under the player and the 1st & 3rd parts are supposed to be set up as "star" to go above the player for best visual performance:
    upload_2019-11-10_18-8-11.png upload_2019-11-10_18-8-26.png
    upload_2019-11-10_18-9-11.png upload_2019-11-10_18-9-20.png

However, this does not work really well with the OverpassTile.js, and here is what happens:

if I assign the bridge region to the entire bridge, the character will go above the lower handrail when on the bridge:
    upload_2019-11-10_18-12-0.png upload_2019-11-10_18-12-28.png

and if I only assign the bridge region to the bridge-only parts, the parts that are covered by the lower handrail will not be passable if I enter the bridge through the gate regions, and in this case, the player will only be able to use half of the width of the bridge, and that feels really uncomfortable.
    if I enter the bridge through the unassigned regions ( the part covered by the handrail), if I move up, if will go under the assigned region to the ground level:
    upload_2019-11-10_18-14-19.png upload_2019-11-10_18-14-51.png upload_2019-11-10_18-17-10.png ←see his hair? upload_2019-11-10_18-18-8.png

I think the problem is because the region tiles don't identify layers of the other tiles, thus it doesn't care if there are 2 tiles laying together with different priorities.
    I tried to play around with different passage setups for the tiles and it doesn't work out.

This could be done by heavy use of events, but definitely not the best way for this.
    So, what I think is perfect for this is to develop a plugin which does exactly the opposite of the KADOKAWA's OverpassTile: assign an "UnderBridgeRegion" by the same way, which put the player under the tiles in assigned region, if the player goes through the region via the gate region, like this:

upload_2019-11-10_18-23-39.png

It would be great if somebody is willing to spare some of their valuable time to develop this plugin!
    I'm ok to pay a reasonable price for this (similar price as the Yanfly's plugins maybe?) if this would help, and it would be great if this is open for commercial usages.

Thank you for reading!
    It is also greatly appreciated if you can mention some other way to fix this problem without heavy usage of other features

Attached Files:

2. Eliaquim

Eliaquim Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese - Br
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there!
    There is a video that explains how you can do that without the using of a plugin, maybe it can help you.
    Unfortunately, it is in Portuguese(Brazil), but I think you can get it.

Alternatively, you can use an image editor of your preference, and change the graphic of the horizontal bridge to use 3 vertical tiles, instead of two. So, you can put the side of the ropes in another tile, one that the player can't walk, and set that to a STAR.

3. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the OverpassTile.js that is in the steam DLC has a bug in it, you can find the OverpassTileFix.js someone out there.
    but if yo want to make bridges smoother (instead using events as shown above) which trigger when the player is
    below of above (require switches or variables) variable is in this case better for the event though.

But if you make a free game you can try Ocram_Passages plugin or find the OverPassFix.js plugin.
    but that one doesn't take care of regions on the other side of the bridge.
    Ocram_Passages however draw events and Tiles above player and see when the player is on the next
    level or not. (it's free but probabl exspensive when you use it for commercial) but its worth it because
    its one of the best (dont buy a license directly though) do that on the very very very end of your game
    if you go commercial, otherwise its free to use in non-commercial.

4. Lei-Ray

Lei-Ray Villager Member

First Language:
    Mandarin
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Hello there! Thank you so much for your information! Events are definitely capable of solving this issue, but not actually my first choice because my maps are generally bigger in scale with multiple events going on, thus I want to try to avoid using extra events as much as possible... I did quite a few editing on my tilesets, but it seems that editing the tile images are not going to solve the problem, because if I combine the handrail image and the bridge together, they basically become one single tile, and the character is either going to be above or under both of them, not in between them, which could look weird...
    But still, thank you so much for your suggestions!

Hi there! Thanks for the reply!
    I'm currently using both of the KDKW's OverpassTile.js and AndrewX's OverpassTile Fix, the ladder is amazing, but not exactly the one fixing this problem... I had tried Ocram's plugin out, and was prepared to pay and credit in case I'm going to use it for commercial, but the underpass feature didn't work in my game, I didn't quite figure out why....
    Thank you so much for the information!

*the latter

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  5. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Lei-Ray I merged your posts together as we do not allow double-posting.
    If you want to quote more than one post, please use the multiquote button/+Quote all posts and then insert them in your own post.

Lei-Ray likes this.
  6. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    region 16 is on the bottom stairs/ladder and in front and behind of the bridge (saying the character is on the bottom)
    region 17 on top of the stairs/ladder and in front and end of the bridge (higher level)
    region 18 cover the bridge so it can walk over the bridge

there is a video how this works and also pictures.
    if you read it carefully, you do understand, it's maybe a hard plugin in the begin to use, but when you understand it,
    you can make a lot of things possible :)

7. Lei-Ray

Lei-Ray Villager Member

First Language:
    Mandarin
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the reply, I'm currently double checking this plugin based on your detailed information... Do you have any idea if this plugin works also in the area with more than 2 levels? as the graph below:
    upload_2019-11-12_14-49-58.png

8. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Im not sure, but I think it doesn't have 2 levels though because I didn't extensively tested that. but it had some other problems
    as well.

either way a plugin can help, or event it which takes a bit of more time, but its working (also on mobile phones).
    however you approach it, is up to you though :)

Lei-Ray likes this.