Plugin to delete a save if game was updated!

nintendowii111

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also to warn the player on the title screen. I'd love for , after game is updated, for a simple popup to come up on the title to just say "Old saves are not compatible with new version. Old saves have been deleted".

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How are you updating the game? Why not just warn players that old saves will be incompatible with the new updates? I'd be spewin' if I took a game update and it deleted all my saved games without giving me any warning! Give me the choice to NOT take the update and finish the game I've already started.

nintendowii111

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How are you updating the game? Why not just warn players that old saves will be incompatible with the new updates? I'd be spewin' if I took a game update and it deleted all my saved games without giving me any warning! Give me the choice to NOT take the update and finish the game I've already started.
The game has a splash screen at start up that says updates will remove old saves. I just am trying to figure out how to do that. I dont want to delete old saves when updating but the game errors out when trying to load a save from a previous update. It's being made for iOS. (iPhone)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

ninetendowii111, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I suspect that your second post was meant a little sarcastically. If that is the case, please remember that no one is obliged to help, people do it in their 'free' time, if they want to and if they can. If Shaz has not deployed a game to Android, then she would not have any detailed knowledge of how to avoid this. She was simply suggesting an alternative approach to the problem, because by the time the splash screen comes up with that information, the player no longer has the option to decline the update until they have finished their current game. That is unlikely to be universally popular.

Have you tried identifying why save files are deleted? It might be better to solve that problem, rather than search for a splash screen telling the player that there is one.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont want to delete old saves when updating but the game errors out when trying to load a save from a previous update.
This generally means you have added a plugin that sets up its own data and saves it with the player's game progress. In the updated version, the plugin expects all saved games to have this data, and in earlier saves, it's not there.

There are two other solutions to this ...

The first is to not release your game then continue to make updates, or especially to not add new plugins after releasing your game.

The second is if you do release your game then continue to make updates, including adding new plugins, make sure the plugins can cater for save files created before the plugins were added. Most plugin authors probably don't do this, but you could get patches made for each of those that check a save file to see if the contents include the data for the plugin, and if it's not there, create it.

And yes, you gave me 24 hours after your reply before complaining that I hadn't given you a solution. I simply asked some questions and gave my opinion of how I think your idea will be received. I never said I would give you a solution. I have a job, and a family, and a life outside of this forum, and I don't appreciate your comment. As Kes said, everyone here does stuff in their own free time. Please be more patient with people. Sometimes they don't have the knowledge or skills. Sometimes they just don't have the time.

nintendowii111

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This generally means you have added a plugin that sets up its own data and saves it with the player's game progress. In the updated version, the plugin expects all saved games to have this data, and in earlier saves, it's not there.

There are two other solutions to this ...

The first is to not release your game then continue to make updates, or especially to not add new plugins after releasing your game.

The second is if you do release your game then continue to make updates, including adding new plugins, make sure the plugins can cater for save files created before the plugins were added. Most plugin authors probably don't do this, but you could get patches made for each of those that check a save file to see if the contents include the data for the plugin, and if it's not there, create it.

And yes, you gave me 24 hours after your reply before complaining that I hadn't given you a solution. I simply asked some questions and gave my opinion of how I think your idea will be received. I never said I would give you a solution. I have a job, and a family, and a life outside of this forum, and I don't appreciate your comment. As Kes said, everyone here does stuff in their own free time. Please be more patient with people. Sometimes they don't have the knowledge or skills. Sometimes they just don't have the time.
i apologize..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is it that every time I take a short break from here, we get a new moderator?
Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!
For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LageCL