[PMVXA] Event for player to select member to remove.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Copperama, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Copperama

Copperama Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm working on a personal project. A game where the characters you play with are random and you can collect them. So far the project is going fine, but I've run into a bit of a problem.
    So, just to explain why it is this way, the game has a hub world where you select the dungeon to travel to. But the main hub itself is a shop area where you get the stuff you need before selecting the level to play through. You can buy equipment, items, but mainly heroes. You buy capsules that will place a random hero in your party.
    So the problem I have is... that after playing the game for a while, the player's party is going to start getting cramped. Or they're going to want to replace one hero with another. The idea I have is a big garbage can in the hub area where you talk to it, and then it brings up the menu and you select the hero you wish to dispose. As if you were to use an item on them from the map.
    [​IMG]
    (Please ignore Toad, I forgot I had him as one of the test heroes)
    So I actually have no idea how to do that. I've been looking up ways to do it, but no one has done anything like it as far as I can tell. I should also probably have some members immune to it like the generic guy that's automatically in from the start. Any help with this would be very appreciated. This is my first time posting. I read the rules, but please let me know if I forgot anything.

2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, the answer to your question isn't simple. If you want to actually show your party members like what happens in the menu you need a script. If you are just fine with names then you can use Show Choices event commands. That said, if I got it right, you want to do it while actually showing party members in a window, then select the member to remove and actually delete it. Am I right?

3. Harosata

Harosata Dramatic Lightning's BFF Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hm, I'd have to recall how Remove Party Member is sorted out, but I'm certain that you should be able to use $game_party.members in some way.

Anyway, a script you can try to use is Galv's Party Select. This should give you a selection based on your party that will return their actor id.

4. Copperama

Copperama Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I'd be for a simple solution, but remember that the party members you can have are completely random. So showing choices might not work if I understand the show choices option correctly. Then it would have to be the latter.
    Also, something I have to make sure is understood about this, you can have multiple of the same hero. So that might make a problem with calling their ID. I am willing to make it so you can only have one of each hero if that would make things easier, but would like to keep that part if possible.
    I'm going to look into that plugin, Harosata. It looks like the right direction to take.
    Another idea is instead of a event on the map, like the trash can I was talking about earlier. I was thinking of making a key item that would do it instead. Which might make it much easier for the player. I think. I don't know if that would change anything...

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It will work, but it requires a bit more thought and checks placed into it.
    basically you use text codes to place the names of party members at a specific position into the choices, then use control variable to get the ID of the actor in that party slot and use that ID to remove them

Technically impossible - each actor has to have their own ID. IDs are always unique, that's why they're called IDs (for identification).
    There are scripts to clone actors, but when they clone an actor the new actor will get a new ID that hasn't existed before on the database. And if you're using one of those scripts to clone actors, then you need to link us to the website of the script, because that will require a different handling and the use of the script commands to get actors whose IDs did not exist in the editor but only after being cloned ingame.

6. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As Andar said you can only have one copy of each actor. If you want to have multiple copies of the same actor you have to either use a script or create N copies of each actor where N is the maximum amount of copies of the same actor allowed. If you do it the second way then you don't need a script but you have to find a way to handle those different IDs.

In my opinion this doesn't make things easier, on the contrary, it might make them more difficult. Using an event map you can have different events handle different things. If you use a single key item you have to handle everything using that item. On the top of that what you are missing is an algorithm to do that. Once you have it you gain nothing by putting it in a common event or in a normal event, it stays the same no matter where you place it.

It still works, you can store your party member names in variables and show them in your Show Choice event command. You can even use different branches showing a different Show Choice based of the number of active party members. Showing variables in a Show Choice event command works exactly the same as showing them in a normal message:
    Code:
    \V[x]
    That shows the value of your variable x.

EDIT:
    This is a very simple way of handling it. Of course this one lacks everything but Show Choices. You can use something like this but you have to replace comments with something meaningful (like actually removing actors from the party or anything else).
    CuscomChoices.png
    NOTE: you can omit the "puts m.length" part in the script call. That only shows you how many actors are currently in your party so that you can test and see if the branch you enter is the correct one. It is completely useless from the player point of view.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018