Pokémon Corner: R&S Version

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by hyde9318, Nov 2, 2017.

?

Favorite Generation of Pokemon Games?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2017.
  1. First (Red, Blue, Yellow)

7.7%
  2. Second (Gold, Silver, Crystal)

7.7%
  3. Third (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green)

15.4%
  4. Fourth (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver)

7.7%
  5. Fifth (Black, White, Black 2, White 2)

23.1%
  6. Sixth (X, Y, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby)

23.1%
  7. Seventh (Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon)

15.4%
  1. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Hello PokéCorner fans!
    Welcome to the third generation of the Pokémon Corner!

After the crazy success of the first generation of the Corner, our post number grew and grew and grew until our thread was overflowing. Then the second generation of the Corner became a success in its own right, but I soon after became inactive. While it is amazing that our small community grew big enough to require a second thread, and the second thread lost its main members, I feel the Corner can finally enter its third stage and reopen for all kinds of Pokémon discussion. So, without further ado, I unleash Pokémon Corner Ruby and Sapphire Version upon the RMWeb community!

[​IMG]
    A Little Bit of Pokemon History
    Pokemon was published in 1996 by Nintendo Entertainment and was created by Satoshi Tajiri. It was released as a pair of two games that connected to each other for multiplayer gameplay (the games were Red Version and Green Version, however Green was soon replaced by Blue version with updated graphics).

[​IMG]
    Since it's creation, Pokemon has become the second most-successful video game based franchise in the world (only bested by the Mario franchise). Pokemon now is much further advanced than the beginning games, but one thing is still a common goal among players... become the best trainer out there.

[​IMG]
    What is Pokémon Corner?
    The Pokémon Corner started on September 12th, 2012. It started out as just a simple discussion thread to talk all things Pokémon. However, it soon started gaining traffic quickly and steadily (only have small sporadic downtimes)and eventually grew into a small community of players within the RMWeb community as a whole. Now, we serve as a quick and easy way to exchange friend codes, learn the latest Pokémon News, share tips with each other, and just come together with others who share a passion.

The sky is the limit in this thread. As long as you talk about Pokemon, you can do anything you want.
    Want to see the original Corner? Check it out
    HERE! , OR check out the second thread HERE!

Welcome to Pokemon Corner!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pokemon Corner Supported Programs

LIST CURRENTLY EMPTY
    ...please stand by for list...

Seacliff and Ms Littlefish like this.
  2. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Pokemon Corner historically has friend codes in the second post, but we will be abandoning that trend due to an official, pinned Friend Code Thread already being open. Feel free to share your code here if you wish, but know it would be much easier for future reference if you post your code to the official thread...

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/nintendo-friend-code-exchange.38663/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All News regarding the thread and/or is important to the thread will be posted here.
    Stay tuned for future information...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my rant: Right now I'm very disappointed in Pokemon, probably too disappointed to play whatever they churn out next. It was the Pokemon Bank update being sooooooo far behind schedule. I love to battle and trade online, but finishing Moon and waiting WEEKS to even start building my battle team...? Not rewarding my emotional investment in the series. Tried Smogon battles, but the rules were wacky and didn't seem to be posted anywhere. So my enthusiasm kind of fizzled out.
    I do love a lot of Pokemon mechanics though; the series offers something for everyone, and it's great material for indie developers to study!

4. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Oh hey, welcome back. I love chatting about Pokemon on this massive thread.

Let's get a conversation starting. How do you all feel about the new Ultra titles? I was pretty pessimistic at first, but to be fair it took them months to actually show off what makes those games different from the originals. Now I'm genuinely looking for them. Sun/Moon weren't my favorite Pokemon games, but these are shaping up to be adding a lot of new content.

Also looking forward to what the teased new mainline Switch games could be holding. It took a while, but even by sticking to its handheld roots we are still eventually going to get an HD title. Let's just hope they don't try to push the specs with needlessly high-poly models like they do with the 3DS. XD

5. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Failivrin, understandable. Pokebank was advertised as the program to tie everything together, but then they keep holding off updates until months after a release. It's frankly dumb in my opinion. I mean, their idea is that it gives you time to play the game as intended before bringing in all of your big guns and facerolling the game, but why multiple months? It would make sense to hold it a couple weeks, but months is dumb.

----------------

Seacliff! Bud, I missed you! While you're here, I want to say... now that I'm back, if everything goes as planned over the next months or so and I get reacquainted with the community, our 'special project' may finally come out of retirement... no set in stone promises, but I finally got the chance to tear apart my old broken laptop and extract the hard drive for all the files we had. Lost some of the game data itself, but our graphical and planning work is all there!

But yeah, back on topic. I was excited for Ultra SuMo when they announced them cause my first thought was Black and White 2, which honestly were (in my opinion) the best sequel games the series has done so far. But months of no info was killing my buzz. Then all the info came in suddenly and I couldn't be more happy now! All the Pokémon, all of the 'Teams' coming back, a few new additions to the pokedex, new maps to explore, new attacks/z-attacks... ugg, it's one hell of a tribute for 20 years of Pokémon!

And with the Switch, hold on to your pants for that, it's going to be huge. Ken Sugimori said in an interview that a "massively multiplayer Pokémon experience is WAY overdue", and two days later Nintendo goes "oh yeah, we have a full experience Pokémon game planned for switch!"... If Ken was giving us a hint, it may be the end all of Pokémon games, lol.

But think of an MMO potential in the series. Instead of doing a new generation every few years, an MMO would let them toss in a few new ones whenever they want. New attacks could be added whenever, balancing patches can be done on the fly, people can explore HUGE worlds cause of the switch capabilities, the social areas in the series (for example the battle frontier and such) can ACTUALLY be real social areas for once, etc. The possibilities are endless.

6. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ultra SuMo looks like it may have enough new content to rope me back in. So far I like the new areas they've shown off. I really did enjoy Sun & Moon once we got past what I like to call "tutorial island." I'm really excited about the prospects of something happening on the Switch soon. The long dreamed of MMO is always hanging up there in high hopes, but I'd even be really happy with some larger-scale RPGs. A lot can be done with the Switch, and the portability of the system and the social nature of Pokemon games can probably lead to something excellent.

7. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, the early hours of SuMo were.... slow, to be honest. Its kind of a hard game to restart, knowing you have to get through all of it again. I REALLY hope the Ultras let us start quicker.

8. Knayter

Knayter *teleport behind you* Nothing personal kid Veteran

First Language:
    Viet Nam
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    USUM already have been leaked, don't know anyone played it or not so can't tell it is going to start quicker or not. But even SM is impressive, it can't beat my favourite pokemon game yet, which is ORAS(RSE) btw

9. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm holding off on buying USUM until it is GUARANTEED they've got a "National Pokedex" in place. Seriously, Sun and Moon had the horrific problem of not having a National Dex.

I will admit to having FINALLY bought ORAS (both games) a few weeks ago. The problem? I'm having trouble getting into these games. The same way I had problems getting into them the first time through. I do like the way the Pokedex thing works or whatever, that tells you stuff is still in the Route you're on, so you can stick around and catch it. Not sure why this was missing from Sun and Moon...

Honestly, I want a new Pokémon game that takes all the best elements from previous games and slaps them into it. Dunno why they keep introducing cool features in each iteration and then dropping them for the next one.

Still... I'll likely buy USUM at some point... But, I'm going to wait a while if they don't have a National Dex.

10. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I assume it will have the nat dex though honestly. Every single legendary, it wouldn't make sense to not have a national dex post-game with all the legends available.

SuMo would have been perfect games for me IF 1) the tutorial stuff wasn't so grueling, and 2) there was ANY kind of post-game content. It has the battle tree, but how many games are they going to slap a battle palace/tree/tower/city/planet/galaxy/dimension on to a random location and call it post-game content? Telling me a gameboy color game can add an entire second region to explore, eight more badges, more Pokémon to catch, a harder elite four, an actual end-game boss, AND a battle tower, but it can't be done on one of the strongest handheld systems on the market? I don't need an entire region, but give me Emerald/Platinum's Battle Frontier and I will be ecstatic.

11. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I assumed that Sun and Moon would have a national Dex, but... nope. Never had one. Not even with the QR Scan Codes that allow you to obtain Pokémon outside the Sun and Moon Dex. Which, is a feature you can activate in the game the moment you get the Pokedex.

So... I'm waiting to see that a National Dex is confirmed before I buy it. I'm not doing that nonsense again. I like my National Dexes. I like transferring all my Pokémon forward from previous games.

12. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not arguing, but you can transfer stuff from old games without the nat dex. I have literally every Pokémon I've kept from platinum onwards on my Moon right now (PC is REALLY full, lol)

But that said, I understand your concern. I hope we get the nat dex. I assume it will have it, but we will have to see. Bright side, not long to wait now

13. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me, the fun in the games is in the "collecting". So, without a National Dex to "record my progress", all I really have is my "Living Pokedex" to transfer forward. Which... is neat and all... But, I like when the game recognizes that I went through a lot of work to obtain every mon, including all the Event Legendaries.

I actually ended up transferring my "Living Pokedex" straight to Pokémon Bank instead of into Sun and Moon, because Bank at least records them in a Pokedex there.

I have Pokémon transferred all the way from Colleseum and Fire Red/Leaf Green.... as well as original RSE. :D All the way into Sun and Moon.

14. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, that makes sense, that's where we differ, lol. I am more of a battler; if I just have my Pokémon, I'm happy, don't care much for the pokedex. The day they remove my ability to carry my precious Pokémon forward is the day I quit, lol. Also why I'm scared about the switch version... hopefully the pokebank will work with the switch game cause I am NOT looking forward to starting whole teams over again....

-------

On an unrelated note, according to the poll we don't have any "genwunners" here.... weird...

15. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's kind of how I felt when I switched to DS and then later 3DS, until they released ways to keep transferring teams forward.

You know what's really fun, along with collecting all the mons for me? Having a few of my "teams" actually have the ribbons from every Pokémon league between where they started and where they ended up. Some of them have BEEN PLACES! :D I don't know why I like doing that, but I like that Nintendo and Gamefreak have actually put in like... "legacy ribbons" that keep transferring forward with your mons.

I actually picked up ORAS recently, and what I'm looking forward to doing in that is taking my original RSE team (or maybe a new one, haven't decided) and transferring them into the game to earn the new League Ribbon for ORAS to have on top of my old RSE ribbons. I don't know why that makes me giddy, but it does.

I just like collecting things, I guess. And, collecting the Pokémon League Ribbons is also pretty fun across all my teams.

16. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Yeah, I found the votes cast so far somewhat surprising too. Albeit it's a small sample so far.

About a year ago I played through the Japanese version of Pokemon Red (Cost just as much as it did in English, so why not?) and had a good time. It's buggy, unbalanced, and had (hilariously) ugly battle sprites (changed in the localization). But it has this simple aesthetic I'll admit the other titles, even the remakes, couldn't quite capture. So I can't blame anyone for liking them for that alone.

Also, during ORAS I did attempt to complete the Pokedex and got about halfway there. Right when I was getting burnt out Sun and Moon were announced so I decided it wasn't for me. :elswt:

17. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first generation (japanese versions mostly) have such awful graphics that they somehow come full circle and become a work of art, lol. I have HUGE admiration for the first two generation graphics. Gen 1 was bad, even for games of that era, but it was charming. Gen 2 wasn't just a huge leap forward on graphics, they were straight up great graphics for the GameBoy Color hands down. We went from bad gfx to some of the best the GBC had to offer in only one sequel, lol.

And yeah, only game Ive ever completed the pokedex in was Black 2. Havent attempted it since, lol.

18. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I completed the Pokedex in Sun. Though, that's an easy feat that simply requires the ability to trade to Moon. I had a friend I was playing with. Her and I completed our Dexes at the same time. I then started over in Moon and immediately traded between the two systems I owned to basically complete the Pokedex in that before ever even leaving the first island.

I'm actually only 16 Pokémon away from completing Leaf Green, but it requires me finishing Colleseum again to transfer a second set of mons into it. My Fire Red is like 52 away or something, but it requires I trade with RSE...

Honestly, I'm just completing as much of my dexes as possible and moving as many forward as I can. I've got a full "Living Dex" on the Pokémon Bank, but I don't have many "completed Pokedexes" across the games. Took a lot of selective assembly from various versions of the games to collect everything. Especially Event Legendaries.

19. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You have a full living dex you say? Hmm... I may need to grab a breeder or two from you sometime, lol. Got some Pokémon I've just never gotten around to finding that I've wanted to use. Not sure if you trade them ever.

Separate note, with all the info on Ultra SuMo out now, what's the general consensus? Anyone excited, disappointed, .... ?

I have to say, spoilers aside, I wasn't expecting some of the information really. Some of it was a let down, some was super exciting, but overall I'm happy.

Note before moving ahead though, all Ultra SuMo spoilers from now until two weeks after release MUST be nested in spoiler tags.... no exceptions. Some people won't get them right away, some don't want to know until they beat them. After the two weeks, we will decide whether we need to extend the spoiler ban, but for right now it is two weeks after national release.

20. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Playing Pokémon ORAS this weekend. Running both games. I get to a badge on one game, I grab the other and get to the same badge.

I'm at Granite Cave.

Who the heck redesigned this cave to REQUIRE A FREAKIN' BIKE? I mean, I know some of the levels required a bike in the original games... But this is freakin' ridiculous. I can't get my version exclusive OR my Aron until I leave the island, go obtain the craptastic bike (a feature I am HAPPY they've removed from all games after these two, as their controls were God-Awful in RSE and their movement puzzles the most annoying and stupid in all of Pokémon History), then have to backtrack in order to get the two Pokémon I want.

Oh, and can't find Geodude anywhere except this cave, apparently.... And it's a 5% encounter rate that is actually more like a 1% encounter rate, 'cause after two hours I've yet to run into a single Geodude while I've run into about 22 Abra... who are at 15% encounter rate.

Whomever did this redesign of areas to change how you do them... I want them to die in a fire. Seriously. I hated this crap in the remakes of Gold and Silver, why are we doing this nonsense AGAIN in the remakes of ORAS? Can't we just go back to FireRed/LeafGreen where the areas are basically exact... but they've simply added MORE content to the game?

I'll never understand the urge to only remake certain specific minor select areas in Pokémon games when you do a remake. If you're going to alter ANY area, alter them all in the whole game so that IT FEELS LIKE A NEW GAME. Don't selectively edit so that it feels like you're being A FREAKIN' streaming water CANOE and altering crap FOR THE SAKE OF IT instead of any interesting, imaginative, or UNIQUE reason.

/rant over.

It's easy to remember why I hated third generation when it first came out, while playing the sequels which are even worse than the originals so far. At some point, I guess I'll pick up US/UM. No National Dex again. Ugh.

Maybe after Christmas I'll pick them up.

@hyde9318 Yeah, I've got a Living Dex on Pokémon Bank. I don't know if it's entirely full, as I don't know if I have everything from Sun and Moon in terms of "Event Legendaries". I also don't have a Hoopa, I don't think. Missed the event for it. It's basically everything except for a few Pokémon that were difficult to obtain (like no Cosmog, since I have Cosmeum or whatever, and I'm not replaying Sun/Moon just to get the Cosmog).

But, for now, it's as complete as I can get it. I think I'm also missing some of the "forms" as well. Shinies and such. As well as the "Animal" forms of the Storm mons I think came from Black/White.

Most everything else though? Yeah, got it. Even in order of National Dex number.

EDIT: Also, yeah, I rarely ever trade anything in my "Living Dex" or any of my "Legendaries". What I do end up trading is basically anything you can obtain from the GTS anyway.