Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So... did anyone see the new "Version Exclusives" video they got up?  Or the "This Pokémon evolves into different stuff, depending on the version"?  As in... we now get a Werewolf from a doggie if it evolves in Moon while we get a standard big rock wolf thingie if it's in Sun?  Customization seems pretty extravagant too...

Sun and Moon version Exclusives.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Tai_MT: Aye, it's shaping up to be pretty decent! Oranguru looks to be a double battle king and while I prefer Midnight Lycanroc, Midday is shaping up to be better for battles (Midnight form is selling Counter as it specialty? REALLY??) Plus the trainer customisation? Yes. YES! And it looks like the male actually has a lot more options than in XY (and you aren't forced to wear hats, thank goodness~)

What do you think about the Ultra Beasts?

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I think the ultra beasts are going to be human/pokemon fusions, like the ash-greninja thing from the anime.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I agree, the striking resemblance to the Lillie, Lusamine and Gladion siblings are far too uncanny, GAME Freak aren't hiding it. I also believe that like Lycanroc, the starters are going to have branching evolutions since it's said that Rockruff shares the same secrets as the starters (plus with the reveal of Lycanroc's evos, it give the leaks far more credibility).

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the "Ultra Beasts" should be equivalent to the "Mega" forms of Digimon.  That is, it's super rare to get one, hard to obtain... And they're the FOURTH form of the original monster.  We could then turn the silly stone mechanic thingie from the last game into what it always was:

Digi-egg Evolution from Digimon's Season 2.

At least that way, we'd have some REALLY interesting mechanics.  Especially if the Mega-evolutions could only be used on the third form... while the "Ultra Beast" thing is a permanent fourth form.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
See, I don't think they'll be obtainable, except for maybe your starter.  I think they're going to function more like RPG boss monsters.  You fight them, stop them, and that's it.  Given yhe alchemy motif, and the fact that Null is a canonical chimera, I'm going to guess that the UBs are going to be viewed as some kind of perversion of the natural order.

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Ultra beast may not even be pokemon at all...

Type null is at least listed as one, yet all UB's arent.

It's still strange to have a "not pocket" monster on a pokemon game, but I think something like that will benefit the games, because they can be gimmick bosses without worrying about the metagame (wich game freak kinda does nowdays)

Rockruff is made as a talonflame counter, he evan has a priority move wich may have even more priority than extremespeed and it's  (probably) a rock type move.

And passimian and oranguru are obviously made for VGC.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno, I don't worry about "The Meta" of Pokémon that much.  Online Battling has always been kind of "Meh" for me when you consider all the effort involved in actually being able to be competitive.

They should introduce a "Casuals" type battle where the game checks to make sure your Pokémon were leveled and strengthened haphazardly, probably through the course of the story game, and you can play against other people who really only played through the story game as well.  I'd probably join the "Meta" if they had some kind of Casuals feature.  But, alas, there isn't one, because the Meta will always consist of the players who decided to grind the most, grind the hardest, and study the game like a textbook just to be competitive and just to win.

To be honest, they had "gimmick bosses" in previous Pokémon games who WERE Pokémon...  They didn't need a Ultra Beast for that.  Or am I the only one who remember's Whitney's Miltank?  Defense Curl, Defense Curl, Defense Curl, Endless Rollout to OHKO your whole team.  The people who make Pokémon KNOW how to make gimmick bosses with their mons.  They know how to make the game challenging.  They deliberately choose NOT TO.  Heck, evidence of that is simply in enemy team composition.  Most people in Pokémon have apparently NOT figured out that you need to spread your typings out to avoid easy losses.  I mean, we're what... 20 years into the franchise and nobody except the main character and the League Champs figured out that you have to have a lot of different TYPES of Pokémon to win?  Meanwhile everyone else is like, "I'm a water trainer!" or "I'm a bird trainer!".  Nintendo can make the games challenging if they want without UBs.  The fact that they deliberately choose not to is what leads me to believe UBs aren't going to be some kind of gimmick boss or even actual challenge.

Luminous Warrior

Knight in Battle Scarred Armour
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not only do they know how to do it, they've done it before. In Pokemon Colosseum. That game was leagues ahead of every other Pokemon game at the time, in every aspect. The battles were tougher, the story was deeper, and the villainous team was actually threatening! Honestly, no matter what, that game will always be the standard I hold Pokemon games to.

Ramiro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Ironically that game was not a game freak pokemon game, it was supervised by game freak on the surface, yet the programmers were Genious Sonority.

Also milktank was not really that hard at all, yes it was people's nightmare when we were kids, yet my cousins are having trouble on X/Y with Valerie...

And even as a kid I struggled to Morty and Claire too. Now after years of playing pokemon gyms are no longer an issue, and the game is better designed to even if you have trouble, you can find a pokemon (or they give it to you) wich can entirely solo the gym. Even G/S/C had that machop wich practically destroys the milktank...

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, let's be honest here, if the game throws something at you that you're not familiar with, it gives you a challenge.  Miltank when you first run across it in GSC was a major surprise and it utilized mechanics you didn't know existed as well as mechanics it didn't tell you about.  The only way to know Defense Curl made Rollout stronger is to have a Pokémon with it and to use it that way (I think this was still the era where they didn't tell you what moves did, or even how powerful they were... I don't think that happened until RSE).  In fact, I think Whitney either gives you the TM for Defense Curl or Rollout when you beat her... which means the move was pretty uncommon up to that point.  The main reason Whitney gave everyone problems is because her Miltank was literally 6 or more levels above your best mon up to that point, it was one of the weak "Normal" types that most people usually steamroll (the fact that you couldn't without a fighting type... which most players don't carry... and this is before a lot of mons started learning Fighting Type moves despite not being Fighting Types), and it had this gimmick that took several turns to utilize while also bolstering its defense by a LOT... it made that fight a challenge.  In fact, it was the only Gym in that whole game to be a challenge.

But, with the benefit of hindsight and the 20+ Pokémon games under most of our belts, yes, Whitney is easy for us to beat now.  But, remember when it was your SECOND Pokémon game?  Remember when it was like the only challenging Gym out of the whole GSC set?  How about Misty from RBY?  She was the only challenging Gym in those games, and that's because the last Gym had Pokémon of level 14 max (or was it 12?) and then suddenly Misty throws a Pokémon at you that's level 21 with a fairly high powered water attack spammed every turn that usually OHKO'd any Pokémon you had, including a lot of the low-defense grass types.  Usually the only way to beat her was to come stocked with a whole team of Pokémon effective against water types or to go gain some levels you wouldn't naturally have by the point of fighting her, in order to beat her.

And then we've got The Elite Four, who haven't legitimately been a challenge since RBY or perhaps the second time you fight them in GSC when their teams are much stronger.  Or was that a later incarnation of the Elite Four?

I honestly haven't struggled in a Pokémon game since Gen 2, and that's even after not memorizing Pokémon types or movesets... and that's after just picking a variety of monsters who just look cool for my team... and that's after introducing new typings (which I still don't know what is strong or weak against them most of the time.  I think Fire is strong against Steel, but what else?  I have no clue.  I dunno even what wipes out Fairy types... except well... everything... 'cause all the Fairy Types are weaker than the Normal types in terms of stats for some reason) and even new battle mechanics and attacks.

Most of my battles in Pokémon since Gen 2 have simply consisted of "What's my strongest attack? Okay, mash that".  The point is simply that Nintendo CAN make a challenging game.  They just choose not to.  And it's slightly frustrating to some of us players.  At the very least, I'd like to see all the trainers in the games at LEAST use 6 Pokémon total every single time... And... AT LEAST have a wide variety of typings instead of all one type that can be mowed down easily.

Wouldn't it be great if the gimmick of a Gym wasn't in the typing of Pokémon used... but in the STRATEGY it used to win?

EDIT:  Actually, wouldn't it be cool if the badguys actually CHEATED in Pokémon games?  Like had you fight three of them at the same time while you only had 1 Pokémon out?  Or maybe they carry more than 6 Pokémon on them at a time?  Or maybe their trainer sometimes interferes with the fight in some way?  You know, make the villains...  A THREAT?  Or Despicable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramiro

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Well, let's be honest here, if the game throws something at you that you're not familiar with, it gives you a challenge.  Miltank when you first run across it in GSC was a major surprise and it utilized mechanics you didn't know existed as well as mechanics it didn't tell you about.  The only way to know Defense Curl made Rollout stronger is to have a Pokémon with it and to use it that way

Not entirely true, on the Union cave there is a training saying "you know if you use defense curl with geodude when I use rollout the power doubles" Also, there was a pokegear contact from a guy wich says exactly that. Even then, milktank doesn't know defense curl at all, because she has an entirely different gimmick.

tumblr_inline_nvba1wuKAC1r8dyhh_1280.jpg

In fact, I think Whitney either gives you the TM for Defense Curl or Rollout when you beat her...

Nope, she gives Attract, and you can get rollout going north on the route even before fighting witney.

Wich is the real gimmick Whitney, having female pokemon using attract.

it was one of the weak "Normal" types that most people usually steamroll (the fact that you couldn't without a fighting type... which most players don't carry... and this is before a lot of mons started learning Fighting Type moves despite not being Fighting Types), and it had this gimmick that took several turns to utilize while also bolstering its defense by a LOT... it made that fight a challenge.  In fact, it was the only Gym in that whole game to be a challenge.

Wich isn't true at all, not only milktank has milk drink wich may be the problem of "having a lot of HP", milktank gets busted by any rock type, or even by any female pokemon really. The only pokemon wich has trouble up to that point is a fire type really, and the only fire type you usually tend to have at that point is a quilava. (wich is for most people also the only-almost only decent pokemon)

So, only quilava "got rekt" and using bayleef and croconaw is just easier. Croconaw can use rage or ice punch and bayleef can put to sleep use syntesis and even paralize at that point.

So, in the game you have quite a lot of options, any pokemon with decent defense and/or status destroys milktank. (you have as a counter up to that point, a geodude, an onix, a bellsprout, hoppip, mareep, beedrill, butterfree) So having a female hoppip (wich is not too hard) or a female mareep (again, not too hard)

You could even have a gastly already, and most people will because they love haunter/gengar.

If you even keep having problems you have a ditto and a machop to counter that cow... So the game actually gives you a lot of options.

But, with the benefit of hindsight and the 20+ Pokémon games under most of our belts, yes, Whitney is easy for us to beat now.  But, remember when it was your SECOND Pokémon game?  Remember when it was like the only challenging Gym out of the whole GSC set? 

Not at all, the hardest gym is Claire by far, kingdra is a pokemon with no weaknesses... Or it was untill X/Y.

And there is also no way to resist a dragon type at that point. The only way to counter a dragon was an skarmory (wich is not available) or a scizor/steelix (also, not available because the metal coat is given when you go to kanto) 

Oh, btw, gold was my first game. That's because when you are kid your wage is determined by your parents, wich may or may not be able to buy you the game the year.

But, with the benefit of hindsight and the 20+ Pokémon games under most of our belts, yes, Whitney is easy for us to beat now.  But, remember when it was your SECOND Pokémon game?  Remember when it was like the only challenging Gym out of the whole GSC set?  How about Misty from RBY?  She was the only challenging Gym in those games, and that's because the last Gym had Pokémon of level 14 max (or was it 12?) and then suddenly Misty throws a Pokémon at you that's level 21 with a fairly high powered water attack spammed every turn that usually OHKO'd any Pokémon you had,

I actually played yellow, so... Misty was not a problem really, neither did brock with a butterfree with confusion. And why would I have a butterfree? The anime shows butterfree as a really cool pokemon...

And then we've got The Elite Four, who haven't legitimately been a challenge since RBY or perhaps the second time you fight them in GSC when their teams are much stronger.  Or was that a later incarnation of the Elite Four?

Tell that to cynthia, the local champion with a team wich could even be used on competitive on the 4th generation games.

Most of my battles in Pokémon since Gen 2 have simply consisted of "What's my strongest attack? Okay, mash that".  The point is simply that Nintendo CAN make a challenging game.  They just choose not to.  And it's slightly frustrating to some of us players.  At the very least, I'd like to see all the trainers in the games at LEAST use 6 Pokémon total every single time... And... AT LEAST have a wide variety of typings instead of all one type that can be mowed down easily.

The same can be done on gen 1 and 2 games:

- Choose squirtle

- Rekt the first gym

- Learn mega punch

- Rekt misty

- Learn Dig

- Rekt Lt. surge.

- Learn ice beam

- You can keep using that for a reaaally long time.

- Learn surf

-  No one in the entire game can even have a chance against your blastoise any more.

- Choose totodile

- Learn rage

- You can keep spamming rage untill you get into witney.

- You get an ice punch there.

- You can now safely spam ice punch untill ecruteak.

- Now learn surf.

- You can now practically destroy everything in your path untill claire.

- Feraligatr  will be bulkier than kingdra, so it's a "who is the bulkier water type" contest.

The E4 is destroyed by feraligatr too, he can have crunch to take down psychic types, earthquake to take down poison types (and ice beam for crobat) a lot of fighting type moves for the dark guys, ice beam for lance, and surf can rekt everything.

And we are not even mentioning how feraligatr can spam criticals too.

So if something is clear about R/B/Y and G/S/C is than the combination of ice beam/punch + surf destroys the entire fun out of the game.

The difference with current generation games is that, you already know that so you can use surf+ice beam on everything, and be pretty safe.

Water types were top tier on gen 1/2 because ice was the only way to deal with dragons, because steel type moves were really bad.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
http://www.serebii.net/gs/gyms.shtml  Let me just leave this here.  Because the moveset it shows for Miltank is different than the one you're showing off.  And I distinctly remember playing one of the GSC games and being killed repeatedly by "Defense Curl, Rollout" Combo by her.  She was the only challenge I'd had up to that point in the game.

Let me address some of your other stuff...

You're talking from the benefit of HINDSIGHT.  As of right now, I can list about 50 or 60 ways to wreck her without levels because I know a lot more about the games now and know a lot more about Pokémon in general.  But, imagine it's your second game and you don't have the internet to look for a Walkthrough to playing the game, and you actually had to play it legit and learn on your own (Like I did, up until Generation III).  She was a stumbling block that not just I had trouble with.

With that said... there's no way you could know she had Attract at all when you first fought her unless you somehow managed to look it up online (which means, you found a strategy to beat here there, instead of finding one yourself, which most players did) until she beat you with it.  Furthermore, she rarely ever used "Attract" on me, and when she did use it, it rarely did anything to my party, so it wasn't an issue.  The fact that I remember Rollout and the high HP being the issue also leads me to believe that Miltank rarely ever healed itself either.  The guide here also says Rollout increases in power each turn it's consecutively used, so that could be why I remember being smoked with Rollout so frequently and losing nearly my whole party to it.  But, again, no way to know she had attract unless you either fought her once and figured it out, so you went out of your way to obtain some female Pokémon so you could beat her (which means you lost at least once to her) or you went online to find a guide so you didn't have to do the work of coming up with a strategy yourself.

Actually, reading through your post here... you're talking entirely from the benefit of COMPLETE HINDSIGHT.  You're not talking from the standpoint of "There are no guides online to use, so I must figure everything out myself and play that way".  All you're doing here is saying, "oh hey, just because all the new games require me to spam an attack to win, there's a way it can be done in previous games, too".  Well, yeah, if you know what's coming.  But, you're not really spamming an attack to win at that point, because you've specifically went out of your way to obtain a move that you KNOW you can spam until the end of the game to win.

The difference in what you're saying and what I'm saying is that unless you're looking this crap up online, there's no way to know which specific move you'll need to spam all freakin' game to win.  Or what strategy you'll need to use at any particular point in the game.  Meanwhile, anything passed Gen 2 was LITERALLY as simple as just continuing to upgrade to stronger and stronger moves and just spamming those, frequently regardless of type, and you'd win everything, including the Elite Four.  You don't have to look anything up.  You don't need to have knowledge of what's coming up to do that.  Which is why my complaint about the difficulty of the games post Gen 2.

I've played every Pokémon game "Blind" since the beginning of the franchise.  I've never looked up anything on my way through it.  The sole exception is on X, when I was looking up how many freakin' Pokémon are on each route so I didn't have to come back to catch them.  But, the RNG for about half the Pokémon on some of those routes is so ridiculously low that I'd sometimes spend 10 hours on a route just to catch everything on it.  Probably explains why all my team is level 86+ (with my starter at 100) and I've yet to even beat the Elite Four in the game.  No guides.  No spoilers.  No looking up Gym compositions or Elite Four compositions, or even trainer compositions.  It's one of the only franchises I still do that with.  Because, it's more fun to not know what's coming and to see if you can handle it...  Except of course, in recent games that have gotten easier and easier and you don't even need Status Effects anymore to win... and your party composition can be sub-optimal and you'd still win fairly easily.

But, I guess that also kind of emphasizes my point about there used to be difficulty in Pokémon games.  Heck, even your arguments for defeating Whitney are things like, "you need this, this, this, this, these, this, that, and then you can beat her" because anything less than those you'll have a hard time.  Which, honestly, speaks to the actual difficulty of the game and the amount of prep and foresight you'll need to win.

I've never actually used Ice on Dragons in any of the games.  I mean, I know that it's super effective and all...  But, most Ice Types have tended to be "Glass Cannons" for me, so I just take out most dragons with some high-end rock or Electric attack (since most have a Flying typing with them), or they've got either low Defense or low Special Defense.  I beat all the Dragons in GSC with freakin' Aeroblast Lugia who was level 55.  Actually, I beat a good chunk of the endgame with that Lugia and Aeroblast.  Was really weird to have such a good Pokémon in the late game.  Especially when in RBY my Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres, were routinely stomped by Lance and some of the other Elite Four.

Yellow itself, however, was a much easier game than Red and Blue.  If you didn't pick a grass/water starter at the beginning, you only had two hopes of beating Brock without leveling up a fair amount.  Butterfree (which could be super hard to come by depending on your version) or a Nidoran who learned Double Kick.  In Yellow, they just give you a Mankey right off the bat with Karate Chop I think at level 5 or 7 or something, and you can steamroll Brock no problem.  Misty also becomes a lot easier to murder-kill in that game as well, since the only starter you get is your Pikachu (which you won't ditch, because it's the only one that follows you around and you can interact with).  In Red/Blue, if you didn't know there was a Pikachu in Viridian Forest you could capture, you had to rely on the Oddish/Bellsprout you came across to beat her, or level up a whole bunch (or took the grass starter).  But, if you picked up a grass type either in Mt. Moon or shortly after leaving it, you still had to level it up quite a bit to make it more viable to even fight Misty.  But, there's also that "benefit of hindsight" if Yellow was your first foray into Pokémon.  By then, the anime had been out quite a while (it wasn't out when I started Red/Blue... at least not in English... and it wasn't televised on any station I had access to when it first came out).  By then, the games had been toned down a bit to make them less difficult... and they gave you Pikachu which wrecks nearly everything in Yellow save Surge and rock types you run across... but you obtain a Geodude before Misty... or you can pick up a Diglett in the cave just outside of town, so you can wreck him easy.

I actually blazed through Yellow faster than I had Red/Blue.  Parts of Yellow were still difficult, but with the benefit of hindsight, I knew what each Gym leader had and prepared accordingly.

Oh, and I was a kid when I played those games too.  I could only play the ones I had access to.  Even worse?  Even if I had money, I had to wait for my parents to go into town and STOP SOMEWHERE THAT SELLS THE GAME before I could even get it.  But, I was earning an allowance at the time, so I wasn't short on money to buy the games.  I didn't even buy Blue version until after I'd completed Silver.  I never even owned Gold until many years later.  I played Red, Yellow, Silver...  then I bought Blue.  Then I bought Crystal (by this point, I had been given a Gameboy Color for Christmas, which was the only reason I hadn't bought the game) and after I moved out and started living on my own... THAT'S when I got Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.  I didn't own Gold until after THOSE games.  I didn't even own the CONSOLE to play those games on until I bought it with my paycheck.  By the time I was playing RSE, Diamond and Pearl were out.  I didn't buy THOSE games until many years later just before White and Black came out.

I've always bought my own Pokémon games.  But, I had to do chores to get an allowance (chores that weren't what I normally had to do in a day) to afford those games.  When I grew up, I used my paycheck to buy them.

Heck, the first time I played Pokémon, I borrowed Red version from my friend who let me play it, 'cause he needed the mons from Red to trade into his Blue to complete the dex and he didn't want to do it himself.  I didn't even have it long enough to beat it.  Heck, I didn't even get to choose starters or anything, since it was a save file that wasn't mine, but his.  I bought the game myself later after becoming addicted from him letting me borrow it.  I think I was like... 11 or 12 when Pokémon first came out.  It was just before High School.

I have a long and storied history with Pokémon.  I own nearly every single game in the franchise (save for the spin-offs and the remakes of RSE, 'cause I hated the originals).  Paid for them all myself.

Oh, one final note...  I didn't have problems with Cynthia at all.  I'm not even sure how she was meant to be "powerful".  Red from GSC was more powerful...

Luminous Warrior

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
On the subject of Whitney, I have absolutely no clue how anyone ever thought she was hard. I played Gold completely blind as a kid, no knowledge of type-matchups besides the most logical "Fire-beats-Grass-beats-Water-beats-Fire", no foreknowledge of Whitney's "infamous" Miltank, and I beat her without a sweat. In my mind she's always been a loser little girl obsessed with cute, pink Pokemon and, thinking about it now, the only logical reason I can come up with for why she's a Gym Leader is because her rich daddy pulled some strings. If I remember correctly, it was Morty I had trouble with.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I know some people didn't have issues with Whitney.  She was the only Gym Leader in those games that gave me issues in that game.  I pretty much steamrolled everyone else.  I even steamrolled the Elite Four the first time using mostly a strategy of "Spite, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Curse" and then carrying Revives and whatever PP recovery items I'd managed to collect up to that point...  Gengar was a beast there.  I had substantially more trouble beating them the second time after you obtained the Kanto badges.  Red at the very very end gave me some problems too, but he was like 10 levels above where I was at that point, so I just gained the levels necessary to beat him and did it.

The hardest fight I ever had in any of the Pokémon games was fighting Lance in Red/Blue.  I've not fought anything so hard since...  Lance made me a man that day.  His endless Hyperbeams and other nasty attacks that usually one shot my Pokémon...  A mixture of strategy and luck let me beat him.  I've been looking for a fight like that since Red/Blue.  A in-game challenge that puts hair on your chest without requiring you to do the silly crap like EV grind and endlessly breed to overcome the challenge (like all the Tower and Pseudo-Tower challenges they've always put into these games since GSC).  An Elite Four that makes me yell at the screen and pushes me to the limits!

Or, at the very least...  Every trainer in the game carrying six Pokémon with them of varied types so it doesn't feel like you're walking into someone's yard and punching their puppy in the face.  I mean, it's a world where competitive Pokémon battles are so commonplace that everyone does it and everyone owns them...  So why is EVERYONE except the character we play, and the Regional Champion complete and total nooblet scrubs without even basic knowledge of even typings?

Luminous Warrior

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I personally think that Game Freak desperately needs to implement a difficulty setting, and give the trainers on higher difficulties better teams and strategies. That gives noobs and casuals more stuff that they can do, while still letting the game be challenging for those that want it. Maybe give players some reward for playing on a higher difficulty too. Not something too big though. Maybe a slightly higher likelihood of catching shiny 'Mons, or they could make certain rarer Pokemon more common.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I got a crazy question...  Anyone else working on finishing up Pokedexes on their last set of games before venturing into the new set?  I just finished compiling a massive list of every game I had in the series as well as what I needed, what I was missing, and how close to completion I was.

The task itself was pretty fun, and I managed to pull some of my games forward JUST ENOUGH that I could at least retrieve the Mystery Gift stuff I had waiting on backlog for... like... years.

Heck, I even spent 6 hours yesterday playing Pokémon Coliseum and trying to finish that game out so I could pull all of those Pokémon forward into my X and Y games.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Apart from the entire Alolan poked ex getting data mined within hours of the demo coming out, what are your thoughts on the new Pokemon shown and the Sun & Moon demo itself?

Luminous Warrior

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It was really fun. I'm a little bit annoyed at the fact that I couldn't check out the Rotom Pokedex, but I guess they have to save some features for the full game. I love all of the little touches in the animations and such, like the fact that your character will actually wade through the tall grass, or how he bends over when talking to little kids so that he'll be at eye level. Touches like that go a long way to making the world feel real. Also, Team Skull is 1000% better than I anticipated. They're not as threatening as the older Teams, but they have a lot more personality.

Also, is that really all there is to the full Alola Pokedex? I mean, the new Pokemon are still pretty awesome, but that's sort of small. I guess that Kalos didn't have many new Pokemon introduced, but still, I dunno. I guess I thought there would be a bit more to it. I guess that Gamefreak revealing the new Pokemon before releasing the game is a bit of a double-edged sword. Builds up hype for the game, but then once you get it there are no new surprises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I thought the demo was a bit light on content, but I guess it does it's job.

Etrian Odyssey Spoiled me with huge demos that contain almost 10% of the full game and can even be transfered to the full version...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

By far, the weirdest flex I've ever seen on the internet is "I don't have the attention span to read what you wrote, but I REALLY want the world to know I don't have that attention span!".
Why... the FACK... do I work in customer service?!?!
Excuse me while I go question allllll my life choices.
DamageEvil_6.png added!
index.php

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantangyl