Seeaka

In limbo; bad at it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All of the games are worth getting, but Black and White are my personal favorites. They're really the only games to have a semi-decent plot, and... I guess there's not a ton else that's different. Still, definitely worth getting.

punram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
N/A
I noticed Black at my local Sam's Club pretty cheap. Is that one of the series worth getting?

I've only really played the first ones (red, blue, yellow), so don't know anything about what's come after that. Come to think of it I don't think I've even seen any episodes (well, maybe a few) after Ash's first world tournament (or whatever it was called). I still keep my gameboy color around because I have some original gameboy games I'm not willing to part with (Final Fantasy Legend series and a few others).
I'd say White and Black are the games most worthy of buying at the minute, moreso for the updated pokémon roster than anything else.

I wouldn't say it has the best story arc, but its new features (like the 3D-esque battle system and infinite-use TMs) are too good to pass up.

Seeaka

In limbo; bad at it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd say White and Black are the games most worthy of buying at the minute, moreso for the updated pokémon roster than anything else.

I wouldn't say it has the best story arc, but its new features (like the 3D-esque battle system and infinite-use TMs) are too good to pass up.
I find it funny that we gave the same advice for completely different reasons XD. Out of curiosity, which game would you say has the best story arc?

punram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
N/A
I find it funny that we gave the same advice for completely different reasons XD. Out of curiosity, which game would you say has the best story arc?
I think Gold/Silver had the best story arc. I really liked Lance as a character, so teaming up with him to take down Team Rocket was a huge plus, lol. You could even go back and redo Kanto too, so it had huge endgame value.

I'd say Black and White definitely come close though, since N, Ghetsis and your rivals are all pretty developed characters as far as pokémon goes.

Seeaka

In limbo; bad at it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I hate Lance as a character lol. While it is pretty cool to team up with him, I find him to be a huge hypocrite. Team Rocket's big thing is that they want to prematurely evolve Pokemon. So what does he do? FIGHT THEM WITH A LEVEL 40 DRAGONITE OF COURSE.

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seeaka, I didnt think of that. Dragonair doesnt evolve til 55, so how the hell did he get his dragonite? That Gameshark using cheating lovable!

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Black and White was pretty much a story about stopping PETA.

But oh man, the ending in that game felt sooo good. I love when a game acknowledges that I've worked hard to get to the end.

The post game isn't that great though. Not many things to do even though you can catch Tyranatars and stuff.

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tyranitar, FTW!

But in all seriousness, Black and White were very nice, but B&W2 are nicer. I grabbed the japanese ROM when it first came out, and even though I cant speak Japanese, I was just floored by how much more there is. Nintendo and Gamefreak are really shooting for appealing to gamers for once. You got new ways to connect to people, achievements (well, they are called something else, but they are exactly like Xbox's Achievements or PS3's Trophies), Tons of pokemon right off the bat (biggest starting pokedex of all the series so far, way over 300 available before you even get to the elite four), an even more mature main character and rival, and quite a bit of random events for you to hunt for. And they even finally give you reasons to complete the pokedex. For instance, see all the unova pokemon, get a shiny Haxorus. Catch all the unova pokemon, get an item that makes it easier to breed pokemon. Catch all pokemon, period, get an item that raises the chances of finding shiny pokemon.

The new games will certainly be very much worth buying. And plus, look at this sexy map right here. It is the full map of Unova!

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
b+w 2 have already been released in japan ? i gotta catch a copy of them if they have , black and white where easily the best pokemon games made (minus the classic pokemon red+blue which got me interested in pokemon to start with) , on a slightly different note, you know that nice feature in b+w where you can enter a building sideways and the camera kind of spins around a little to let you see the character walking in the door, do you think that would be possible for rpg ace ?

Seeaka

In limbo; bad at it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
BW2 have been out since June or July in Japan, but I prefer to wait for the Amercan versions to get the full experienceon my first playthrough. As for the door, question, I'm not sure quite how it'd work (considering the whole 3D perspective in Pokemon) but it doesn't seem impossible, asuming you have like 1 or 12 years to script it.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lol yea i guess, but pokemon isnt really 3d,, at least not in the true sense of 3d games . i guess its still classed as 3d though. anyway it was just an idea, i know im no where near a good enough scripter to even have a try at that kind of system :(

mchangin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't actually gotten to loving Pokemon until Black and White came out. The characters are adorable (Cheren and Bianca :3), the Pokemon are, while quite bizzare, just needed a little getting used to for me to come to like, and I haven't actually seen the fanbase become this robust since its early days. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack. Route 10, Emotion and PWT Finals just to name a few.

I liked the Sinnoh series games too, but absolutely loathed HeartGold SoulSilver. It was pretty and all, but the game play was really slow since even in the later areas the wild Pokemon were hard to grind on for the first half of the game when you can only run about Johto...

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeaka

In limbo; bad at it
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I haven't actually gotten to loving Pokemon until Black and White came out. The characters are adorable (Cheren and Bianca :3), the Pokemon are, while quite bizzare, just needed a little getting used to for me to come to like, and I haven't actually seen the fanbase become this robust since its early days. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack. Route 10, Emotion and PWT Finals just to name a few.

I liked the Sinnoh series games too, but absolutely loathed HeartGold SoulSilver. It was pretty and all, but the game play was really slow since even in the later areas the wild Pokemon were hard to grind on for the first half of the game when you can only run about Johto...
If you haven't seen the fanbase, then you have been looking in the wrong places. Bulbagarden is a great example of a giant and friendly community that's been around for years.

I actually hated the Sinnoh games. They were really boring, and I've always felt that 4th Gen had the worst new Pokemon. However, HeartGold is my second favorite Pokemon game of all time, the first game, in my opinion, to top R/S/E (I own all three). I loved the fact that you didn't have to put away the stylus for the entire game, and I felt no need to grind at all. In fact, the only times I have ever needed to grind are in Nuzlockes, the end of LeafGreen (I found that to be a pretty lackluster game too), and my current playthrough of Sapphire. (I find it really funny that the AI in Pokemon is so bad I can make it to victory road with a team of lv. 30s.)

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pokemon AI..... Oh god, we wont talk about that. I will admit that it has gotten much better in Black and White, and still better in B&W2, but it seems they dont put enough time into the AI. I mean, look at Red and Blue version. You could easily glitch Lance's pokemon into using status effect moves only, most of which wouldnt even hit. So you could defeat the Champions of Champions with a level 5 pokemon, if you really wanted. Now that I look back, I am ashamed that I lost to the original E4 hundreds of times, lol.

But I too hated the Sinnoh games. I will admit, Platinum fixed it a little bit by letting us to the "other" world (distortion world), but that wasnt enough to fix diamond and pearl. Soul Silver was pretty badass though. Silver being one of my favorites as a kid, I loved going back with new graphics and reliving the whole thing. But in all actuality, Black and White hold the cake for me. They were probably the biggest step forward yet for the series. And to think that they are taking another huge step forward with the sequel is a very promising look into what we have waiting for us later on. And to think, Nintendo was originally thinking Black and White was the end of the series...

Filius Rex

Lv 999 procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For me, Heartgold is my favorite. I'm playing it for the second time now and it still hasn't gotten old. There's just so much to do!

There are more than 12 Legendary Pokemon to catch, two regions to explore, and 16 gym badges in all!

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Ill admit that is one think Black and white lacks... A good endgame section. When the game is over, you can go to a few more cities, but really nothing huge. Yay! I can battle Cynthia again... Ok, not that cool. Black and white two allows you to battle every single Gym leader, Rival, Elite four member, and champion from each previous game, but you dont get any more badges. You do get an achievement for doing so though, so I guess it works out. However, I just want to have the chance to defeat Cilan over and over and over again. I hate him, so f**king much! After watching one of the newer movies on tv and seeing an episode or two, I realized that he is the first anime character that I wanted to be gone forever. It is just what he says. His lines are unbearably bad. The writers think that he makes clever jokes, but actually it is just simply bad.

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Endgame sections for all the main titles

RBYG: Get to do anything you want & Capture Mewtwo. As a kid this was pretty cool to find and fix stuff you couldn't do.

GSC: Go to Kanto, get lugia and ho-oh after getting the three beasts, and do anything you want.

RSE: Find Latios or Latias, do battle frontier, Find Regis (Even though you can do that anytime I think) and Find Rayquaza, as well as Groudon and Kyogre if you have emerald.

FR&LG: Do the rest of the Sevii Islands, trade with RSE, get mewtwo, and face a harder E4.

DPP: do whatever you want, battle frontier, get legendaries that wern't available for you to get and other pokemon. Harder E4.

SS&HG: Everything from GSC except add in battle frontier, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, Latios or Latias, and face Lance and Clair at the same time.

B&W: Do whatever you want, find other legendaries, see new cites, get magikarp, finally face the champion of Unova, also battle Cynthia.

I like second gens and third gens post games more than the others. They did things right for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be so hard for them to do a New Game + feature? Choose a pokemon that you own when you choose new game, then you start with that pokemon at it's lowest evolutionary form and at level 5, but with slightly boosted stats. You can also choose for it to hold one item that you have in your inventory at the time. Of course, they could choose certain pokemon to not be able to be transferred (like legendaries and such).

That would help the endgame a ton.

Jeneeus Guruman

The Returnee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Is Pokemon Online okay from here? I'm craving to fight now.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can someone link me to this pokemon online pliiz , i dont think i tryed that one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRMA