JtheDuelist

Your Friendly Nieghborhood Stygian Zinogre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Can I use Pokemon Essentials for XP in a commercial game if I use only the scripts and none of the rippped assets or the Pokemon IP? I am asking because I wanted to make a commercial monster collection game with mechanics similar to Pokemon, but is not a Pokemon fangame, and Essentials came with no Terms of Use or anything.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Leaving the question of rip resources aside, the pokemon essential project is licensed, or is intended to be licensed, under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Check out the license here: license

EDIT: So to answer your question, no you can't make a commercial projects, even if you don't use the rip resources. The question of making a non-commercial projects with the scripts but not with the rip assets remains in the gray area, but my guts tell me it is still not allowed. Anyways, one thing for sure, a commercial project is a no go.

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Really? Well, there goes the only game idea I had that I would actually follow through on in a long time... Well, back to the drawing board for months again for me.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not necessarily. I'm sure you could try to find another script/plugin that can imitate the battle system, or you could even commission someone. The Pokemon Essential project isn't the only path to making a monster capture/battle kind of game.

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I can't do commissions because I can't afford them. So unless I can find free alternatives, I am getting absolutely nowhere.

DilidKuDufan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Somali
Primarily Uses
RM2k
As someone who is in the same boat my advice is:
Study how the code works,
Learn it!

You remodify the code to make the script fit for you.
Make your own script with the originals as guide lines without copying the exact formula.

Think about it? Many games on the app market are direct clones with remodeled scripting (some superior, others duller)

To make your own original content means original scripting but for now it's best to learn and modify as you go to grab the in's and out's for your upcoming project.

If you're programmed minded then grabbing the skills to code modify and create will be rather easy once you have an idea in mind on how to do what you want.

However if you're not and rather just more a copy + paste alternative then you may just want to start simple and experiment with maps and event placement (and just tiny mods) before you jump down into advanced settings such as remodifying the whole game to be all complete original content with new scripting bases and original music & sprinting content.

Programming is more like if it works - break it! Then make it work better.

Hobbying is more I'm going to click around till I can do some things I like. Lol (we've all been there doing it to our favorite games before don't lie guys)

If you are however seriously dedicated to this wishing to really make it happen.
Means not only will you have to do the spriting in artwork modifications yourself, but rescripting the entire process in order to develop a successful clone with original content that doesn't overlap with the previous built engine that was used for its original code outsource.

Because if you have that kind of willpower and talent and team support behind you, then you can definitely achieve this but it will not be as easy as you think but however if you are experiencing these things it should be no problem for you and I really hope that creative minds like ours can someday work together to bring about future projects such as these.

By Godspeed best of luck to you.

(EDIT: Forgive the Read OP as I just had seen your user tag as it says you have already developed a game before. So I trust this will not be as personal to you but more directed a public audience who may find this type of advice useful.)

Last edited:

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thing is that I have tried taking several coding classes in the past, but all I seem to retain from all of them is how to correct minor code typos and that is it.

DilidKuDufan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Somali
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Thing is that I have tried taking several coding classes in the past, but all I seem to retain from all of them is how to correct minor code typos and that is it.

As said before, you may not want to go deep into commercial gaming projects off jump.
It's good to start small projects - easier things.

[The idea is like working out - starting from small reps eventually into heavy lifting and full cardio]

Before tackling directly into this!
Properly pre-plan your project from all it's dynamics.
Go as vivid as your imagination can wild itself for the hype of hope!
Seriously write all your goal ideas down.
The dreamier the creamier type of deal. People will tend to show support to the best ideas that resonates with them.

However trust your own self that if you just want a hobby around pokemon clone using the engine to diddle around playing around with for the past time then it's okay because that game was was developed for that kind of thing anyway. Not too many people are into restructuring engine sources.

However if you get more deeper into that and learn how it works completely than you can develop your own similar game but you're going to have to seriously step up the effort.

Programming is also not for everyone.
It's developed by certain people of a different time for computer functions. Though everyone is open to learn it, unfortunately it really only serves best those that are very into that or have a high sense of interest learning.

The best way to learn programming is understanding it.
Once you know how the language works then it gets easier to read to work with.
For example, code looks like math equations to the human eye untrained but in reality are command phrases for the computer to function. It's exactly like telling "make player go left when left button is hit." Type of thing but the computer can only recognize that by the programmer's code and unfortunately not in plain language.
(God imagine how easy programming games would've been if the computer could read written commands as simple sentences like the robots in movies do rather than the science-math allocation process that it's tediously known for.)

My point in this post as disappointed you may feel at the moment, give up not! Because ultimately having some clues and directions will give you the right idea to venture into your inner sense of creativity.

Also as a RPG developer you may need to recognize your strong suits over the ones that aren't really in you.

You may not be a programmer but might be imaginative to character creation beyond limit with new storylines unheard of! (I don't actually know you but only for the sake of speaking in hope.)

Recognize your goals versus the fantasy once you have a solid idea written down for a real project.

Just remember these engines and the original content it was ripped from in it's original source all had teams of dedicated people that spent credible amounts of time so don't think it's easy to take on alone unless you have the same type of drive as they did.

Just know with the right mindset and knowledge can make almost anything for the most part possible.

Just don't try to tackle everything at once making it overbaringly depressing for your workload. Sometimes putting huge challenges like making a commercial clone game you intend to sell with little foundation is more discouraging than engaging.

Keep believing and trying. Only in time when you adjust your creative beliefs up can you make this a much more possible reality than the fantasy of it.

But start somewhere, just anywhere.
You'll be glad than just sitting back. Trust that!

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I mean I already had all my ideas written down and everything, but this was the only way I knew how to actually put them to use. But since I can't use this commercially, I have to find some other way of doing it. And I have usually avoided building teams for projects because I try to avoid creative differences conflicts if I can.

DilidKuDufan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Somali
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I have usually avoided building teams for projects because I try to avoid creative differences conflicts

I'm sorry to inform you but yes even with programming teams and in-house development networks of your top fan favourite mega hit games all will have points of disagreement at one point of time or another.
Often times though if you read in the developer-type interviews it's much less development team in-fighting and more so developers versus their publishers demands in marketing.
Very important to take note!

I say that because not as many games have marketed successfully in history to fans in the 2D-RPG as Pokemon.
The original Pokemon for the game boy was developed by a team of over 60 people at Game Freak with hundreds of marketers invested into their corner under Nintendo's governance guiding along the whole process.

Very rarely you get a team that's dedicated completely to the project all in complete agreement like the Square team of the 1980s but yet a secret behind that project is those people were handpicked for the very first Final Fantasy projects so there was no disagreement when these games were first put together.

In your case I would say it's more about finding the right team of people who had very much agreement to your support to open a willing hand if you can reach out your network.
Also for serious game design requires to shell out the cash whichvmakes the difference because most people like to be hired for their work that they do especially if they're serious about work.
However friends normally make goods volunteers for beta testing your projects.

But as I said if you're just looking for quick scripts to copy and paste in RPG maker for giggles in the meantime as a learning process go ahead and give it a go.

Serious game development requires more than a fanciful imagination and also requires a good sense of leadership approach to when you network with people in order to convince them to be supportive of you as well as maybe as a lot of talent that gives people a sense of confidence and their support for you for them to invest into you.

So even if you just develop the game just to show off how fancy your artwork is or how creative of a storyline you can make with just basic resources then those are much more of a better start for yourself then trying to tackle full-body fledged full clones of your favorite games without curiousity to instill its production values into your work methods.

For example if I want to learn how to make a Zelda game I would have to learn its complete mechanics with comparison notes as well as learning to modify content with similar systems. I would also learn information from the original Developers from Reading their interviews about things that they did in the process of that games creation.

Being a game creator as a hobby is something that comes more easier to people that are already doing this as a job. Hence why it's easy for those type of guys to set at home and make little corny fun games all day because they already do it on a much more vigorous scale when they are at work for the more serious projects.

Don't think that many hobbyist who are creating content are just jumping from the gate empty-minded ready to click on everything on the computer screen it really doesn't work that way and I know you have a better sense of direction than that since you're on this board.
It's more about for now being practical to create a demo of a creation that you're happy with that you could see developing further into a further commercial success.

Also you may not even have to use scripting to create a game in like as in the past of previous RPG makers people would have to modify content by the variable and switch system to create their own customisations for their game. Though it might not be completely the same and maybe somewhat limited if you're not entirely sure on the process but with enough Creative Juice and working around the system you can make something pretty decently similar to what could be written in script.

For example if you ever checked out gaming Ground Zero's "Kindred Saga" by Q-Heretic, it is a game that uses the Final Fantasy battling system that was customized in RPG Maker completely using variables and image placement.

Remember there is always alternatives indeed if you really completely look into it.

I also remember a Pokemon clone that was developing in RPG Maker 2000. It is a rare find to find the game nowadays but it had all the complete features of a working Pokemon game using just a standard RPG Maker features that were slightly remodified by variables and switches to almost successfully cloning it (so not quite as good as the Pokemon Essentials engine)

So I hope I gave you enough Direction in Hope that gives you the motive to successfully start your Ventures today with much more courage.

Because I tell you if this was easy than everybody would have already made their own clone of the same thing (though who to say the saturation would be any good lol)

JtheDuelist

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm just going to scrap this idea, even though it is the only one I have come up with in over 6 months (and have struggled to even come up with anything in that time, to the point it has become a joke amongst my friends), because I can't afford to build a team or commission scripts/plugins and don't really have the time across everything else I do to really do any research into code and such on my own.

DilidKuDufan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Somali
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I'm just going to scrap this idea

I'm sorry you feel that way.
Hopefully all the advice I gave to you doesn't discourage you into pursuing development.

Sorry for my lengthy speeches.
------------------------------------------------
"Practice makes perfection."
&
"Nothing good ever comes easy!"

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...
Are we now stuck with WYSIWYG ? I cannot revert back my posts to good old raw text ?
I'm wondering if I may be putting too many things into one map. A story, within a story, within a story . . . it's fun, but I can't shake the feeling that it may be better to scrap some of it, and use it for another map. I'm not sure what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mineformer