RipSkinned

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not trying to make a pokemon game, but I'm trying to use its formula to see if it can be translated in rpgmaker because it works well with what I'm trying to achieve. Can anyone point me towards how it's done? I'm trying to recreate the Gen I one for now since I think it's simpler.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage

this link explains it quite well, but I'm having trouble translating it to rpgmaker, mostly because of the modifier factor. I ignore weather, badges, critical and other since they were applied Gen II onwards but it still is hard to get it right.
I've emulated a simple move like tackle with characters with the same attack, power, defenses, HP as some pokemon just to try it out and it always ends up radically different than in the pokemon game (i've used formula calculators on the internet to compare). I don't know what could be missing.

Last edited:

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
How are you going to assign levels to Enemies?

There are some plugings that do it.

I personally do not like the Luck stat, so I use that as my Level placeholder.

RipSkinned

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How are you going to assign levels to Enemies?

There are some plugings that do it.

I personally do not like the Luck stat, so I use that as my Level placeholder.
ah yes, I've already got a plugin that lets enemies have levels!
I also don't use luck.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(((a.level * 2) / 5 + 2) * X * a.atk / b.def) / 50 + 2

That ignores all modifiers and random damage. Random damage is a bit odd in pokemon, so this will give you the highest damage a physical attack can do. X is the skill power (replace it with a number), replace atk and def with mat and mdf for special attacks.

At least, according to the link. That's not the formula I remember when I played a lot which was;

a.level * X * a.atk / b.def / 100

but that seems too simple. Regardless, neither take into account of STAB, which is important.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Generate Actors, Dark Fantasy Monsters, & I Heard There Was a Chosen One, | RPG Maker News #42

Work on Cat Quest: The Last Catmancer continues slowly but surely. :kaopride: Today I received the Game Over screen from @Finnuval!
GameOver.png
Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnarchyJas