RMMV Pokemon GO Style Game (early concept)

Should it be called 'MV Go!' or 'RTP Go!'

• MV Go!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • RTP Go!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys :*

I was messing around a little last night, and I kind of ended up making what is basically the early stages of rpg maker mv meets pokemon go. Some people have called it 'MV Go!', I think 'RTP Go!' is also pretty fitting (care to voice your opinion in the poll above?) :p

At this point in time, not much really happens, you load up the game, it uses your device location (android only, no i version, sorry i peeps) along with google maps..

The 'game map' has been changed from normal rpg maker maps, to use the google map instead. As you move around irl, the little game you also moves around. Enemies randomly spawn at locations near you (seemed the easiest implementation for now) to which they can be clicked to initiate a battle.

At this point its still incomplete, and TBH I'm not sure if I should really invest the time into this concept. I mean, I don't think it would be overly difficult for some basic features. But would the basic features be enough? Would you want to play such a game with basic features? (ie, nothing exceptionally un-ordinary for rpg maker, other than the movement system)

I figure, events could be tied into certain places.. For a simple example, each police station (irl) can easily be made to have a police npc outside that offers you a quest to complete in game.

Anyway, any thoughts or feedback? All is appreciated :*

Screenshots: (only 1 for now, maybe more later)

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it could be an interesting system for someone to build on and develop further to make their own monster collection game.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am considering releasing it as a 'plugin', its quite a bit more due to needing my android app build, and it changes some features of the default engine which are fairly important (such as removing the black background from the renderer, and the fade sprite etc)

But even if I do release as a plugin, I'd likely have to release a small demo game before the plugin and hope the community would help to find issues and confirm device compatibility and such. Which is why im trying to gauge if people would be interested in the system :)

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's a nifty idea - and definitely not something that will catch on like Pokemon Go! did (the biggest appeal there was "Pokemon in the real world" which really fulfilled some peoples' fantasies, at least in concept), but still something a ton of people will find cool.

If people are going to have to make a big effort to get into encounters (getting around town is a big effort for computer nerds like myself! :p), make sure those encounters are well worth it. Have a ton of different items that can drop from the monsters, and give those items some use. Even if it's just five different types of healing potions, that's still more "worthwhile" than five of the same healing potion. Maybe make a lot of them crafting materials, allowing players to eventually collect enough materials to forge their own super-weapons. Perhaps allow players to trade items if you think you could implement it.

One of Pokemon Go!'s really cool features was the area bosses. This is probably getting into more difficult territory, but how cool would it be to allow multiple players in a town go to the same place and team up against a superboss. In a system where you can collect items to craft stuff, and therefore be a lot more useful against area bosses, I feel like this would do a great job tying all of the game's different appeals together and really presenting a "purpose" for the loop of explore -> fight -> collect -> craft.

Don't call it "RTP Go". Only hardcore fans of RPG Maker will get that. At least with "MV Go" (not a wonderful name either), people who have merely heard of RPG Maker will understand it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
“RPG Go” might be a good alternative as it is a nod to RPG Maker but game players will be familiar with it too.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like @mlogan's simple but effective suggestion of RPG Go. Maybe "RPG League" could work as well, if you frame it as a society/organization of adventurers going out into the world to keep the towns safe from monsters or even just to "be the best".

One of Pokemon Go!'s really cool features was the area bosses. This is probably getting into more difficult territory, but how cool would it be to allow multiple players in a town go to the same place and team up against a superboss. In a system where you can collect items to craft stuff, and therefore be a lot more useful against area bosses, I feel like this would do a great job tying all of the game's different appeals together and really presenting a "purpose" for the loop of explore -> fight -> collect -> craft.
One more thought in this vein - unless you have a very depthy and intriguing skill system, it would probably be best to let players have an entire party of adventurers that fight when they reach the location to take on an enemy monster/troop. However, maybe for the area bosses, everyone could pick a single character from their party to fight with, to keep things quick, punchy, and appropriately-scaled.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength Yea, I dont think it would get even 0.1% the players that pokemon go had lol

I am capable of integrating team boss battles and pvp fighting, but making such features work for a regular plugin isnt as easy. I'd prefer to focus on features that could easily be built upon in the future. (at least for now)

@mlogan I think 'RPG Go!' has a nice ring to it. Its not as specific as 'mv' or 'rtp', and its also recognisable enough that non rpg maker people would know the general theme of the game. :D

As a side note for movement: I was thinking of allowing the player to control their character and roam upto x distance from their physical location.. So like, you would be at your house, but you can roam upto 100 feet down the street (for example) - I think that could help a lot with lazy gamers (im also one of those lol)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@??????, it sounds like an ambitious idea which will take RPG Maker further.

I hope the large gap rewards between rural and urban players like Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go has one important weakness it caused money to do most everything. (Strife to be different from it)

Ok let up a suggestion moving:
On the grass, a player has a choice to random monsters.
A player can take pictures on the lake to play a fishing game.
You can pick up fruits near trees.
Beware of people walk at the wall.
You also do an event trigger location like telling interesting stories.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was also thinking of different ways I could use the camera to allow the player to feel more like the real world and the game world are the same thing :D

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
seems just a tad excessive ^_^

Yougotsomechocolate

Random Chest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since it's a Mobile title, it would need to be. Jokes aside this could be a interesting concept to explore.

Gagz9k

Developer of Lewdness
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to say I find this concept super awesome. I think this would make not just a cool game, but an interesting showcase of RPG Maker MV scripting possibilities.

And beyond that using geo ref. stuff, as a secondary mechanic (for quest fetching and type of monster you can get in your game) is very interesting concept. Paired with the option to online trade loot or information/currency with global players can be quite the thing for a traditional RPG game.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been off the forums for a while, but I saw this today. Very curious, @?????? have you gone any further with this project?
Seriously, this blew my mind. A lot of people in the forums have talked about making an open world RM game, and you've literally done it! Or at least you've made it possible.

Yes, you might get 0.1% of the sales of Pokemon Go. But think about it... that's still a HUGE number! The mobile market for MV games is insanely massive and largely untapped. Granted, it's largely untapped due to the long list of compatibility issues which change every time there's an Android update. I think you have the programming skill needed to make it compatible, but do you have the motivation to make it enjoyable?

My advice... don't release this to the community. Frankly, few of us have the technical expertise to make it work. The mobile market is, as I said, largely untapped. Mobile gamers would not even recognize RTP. So please, let's not repeat the mistakes we made on Steam, quickly releasing a slough of low quality games and alienating buyers. If this is going mobile, it should have a dedicated, talented creative team behind it. So team up! Maybe an existing project can be adapted using this system, or maybe you can find a team ready to begin a new project.
About the gameplay, I'm at a disadvantage because I never played Pokemon Go, but I can provide a few suggestions.

1) Love the ideas about making real world things interactable, eg. meeting police NPCs at the police station, fishing at lakes or rivers. There are any number of ways to make the game interactable; maybe players can buy food or fight food monsters at restaurants, for example. Maybe supermarkets like Walmart are markets in the game, where you can buy and sell items.

2) Idk if Pokemon Go has this mechanic... What if players can earn EXP according to the distance they travel and the number of unique locations they visit? That would be a big incentive to "Go."

3) The game should provide venues for people with different playing styles. Remember, mobile gamers are a very different demographic; many of them aren't interested in complex strategic combat. For Pokemon players, most of the fun is about catching and trading. The chance to encounter rare monsters, or to discover your favorites, provides the main incentive to explore in Pokemon Go. Using Google as your world map provides limitless possibilities, so players need a variety of challenges and rewards.

4) I've been talking about "rewards." In RPGs, that usually means, gold, EXP, and weapons. Pokemon has a very different reward system, and that's one of the reasons it is so successful. Pokemon taps into players' emotional intelligence and provides emotional rewards. In RPGs, everything revolves around brute strength. Players always fight with the strongest weapons in their arsenal, and sell whatever they're not using. The goal is always to kill the monster. By contrast, in Pokemon you can catch the monsters and trade them, breed and raise them from eggs, feed and pet them (in the 3DS games, last I played). Many players consciously choose "weak" monsters for their fighting team. Sometimes they like the aesthetic and think it expresses their personality. Sometimes they think the "weak" monsters are cuter. And sometimes they enjoy the thrill of seeing the underdog triumph (I always loved destroying Mega Salamence with my Mega Absol). Even the choice of two games with each release says something about a players' personality.

I'm not telling you to make a monster catching game, although it's certainly tempting. What about a hybrid involving beast taming and alliances with other players? Certain monsters and enemies would function just like in RPGs. You battle them for gold and EXP. But you could also "collect" a pool of allies. For example, let's say each player creates their own avatar. If you complete a quest with another player (which would involve going someplace with them in real life), their avatar becomes your "ally" and is added to your fighting party, or to a pool from which you choose fighters. Other quests could involve beast taming/monster catching. Maybe a quest leads you to find an egg which, when carried a certain distance, hatches into a dragon that joins your pool of fighters. Maybe you go to a Japanese restaurant IRL and find a samurai character who will join your party if you defeat him in battle. There are endless possibilities, and endless possibilities are exactly what this kind of game needs.

PS - How about "GOQuest"?

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Rather than Pokemon GO, you should aim for something like Dragon Quest Walk imo. It's already much closer to RM and way more interesting than a simple monster collection game.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately a bunch of rl stuff came creeping up and had to be handled, and i have a piece of work that needs finished before i can get back to working on this concept :(

You guys seem to have some really neat ideas, and tbh, I had some of my own as well :p

Online features in games is always something i have worked on ~ see my old vx ace online highscore systems for example.. This project would be nothing different. Like, from the start my intention was to have full online features like login, trades/auction systems, pvp battling of some kind, collectable items (tcg style cards or cool icons to flex over nubs), highscore systems, etc etc/..

The main 'issue' with the project in its current stat, is quite honestly: google!

For an idea, i have to pay google monies for requesting information via their api.. I am not allowed by their t.o.s to store this data for a prelonged period of time.. I can store it temporarily within the cache of my application only.. (so i cant, for example, store all results in my own server that provides the data instead of google to cut their fees) I wouldnt be opposed to paying google for their api's, but ill break it down a bit more...

A player moves around in the world and reach a new area that hasnt been scanned yet.. i then need to rescan for all the new locations. when a rescan is triggered, its essentially a circular radius that is scanned around the player for around 180-220meters of real world distance (i can configure the distance, havent finalized it yet).. in order to have areas load in properly, and not randomly appear when your already on top of them, I have to rescan every 50 meters-ish of distance from the last point of scan.

So, the average human walking speed is around 1.4 meters per second. this means within a minute a person can walk roughly 84 meters. this is beyond the point a rescan of the area would have had to occur. Over an hour of continuous movement/gameplay, that equates to an average of around 5,040 meters. that is over 100 rescans for this single player, for a single hour of gaming (remember, i cant share the location data to my own server, so each game has to request the information from the google api)

The google api wants i think it was like $30 for every 1000 location data api calls. (just checked, its now $17, so its a little cheaper now..) anyway... this all adds up to what is basically a huge cost for me for every player that would play the game. Its not really financially viable :'(

With that said, I have been researching alternatives, such as the openmaps api and other place/location data api services that offer a considerably more competitive rate.. The only thing is, the entire project was built using various google api's. So I need to do more testing on what the ideal alternative would be, and then also implement it and replace all the google stuff :D

Anyway, i'll casually drop the last screenshot i released about this project before my rl junk got in the way:

As you can see, I found an api (not google as i had realized their insane prices at this point and already begun rearranging code to prepare for it being removed and replaced with non google stuff) that was able to give pretty accurate weather information for an area. it costs like $1 for every 10,000 requests or something insanely cheap lol. and weather doesnt need to be redetermined as often ^_^

I did enjoy having the in game weather change based on real world weather, that was really amusing :D
I also programmed a sunlight/beam effect that moves across the sky based on the time of day ;)

Added loot stop type areas that can be triggered for random goodies. each area can have its own unique rewards, and amount of rewards. (the little loot wheel can extend as much as i want very easily)

Anyway, i've ranted enough for now i think :D

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First of all, amazing work on this! Absolutely incredible.
Another possible application of the system that I can think of would be to create a "Zombie run" type app. For those that do not know, Zombie run is an exercise app that takes place during a zombie apocalypse. Each session you get a short mission and you have to get to a specific spot (on google maps) in a certain amount of time.

I guess something similiar could be created with your system by allowing the player to set a distance and then randomly spawning an event that distance from the player? I mean, I get that it would take a lot of tweaking from what your system is currently, but it is a possible application which I think would be worth exploring.

If you ever finish this project I hope you release it to the public, but as a paid plugin. I would totally pay for something like this and I think most with the technical know-how to make it work would too. This would probably finally make me uppdate to MV as well ;)

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Amazing work!! You get the golden chalice for programming. I especially love the weather system and the sprite icons. Using simple icons without moving animations would allow you to create a huge variety of NPC characters with relative ease.
That's crazy about Google's rates but I definitely understand the problem.

@Canini might be onto something. I never played Pokemon Go or Zombie Run, but a lot of mobile games set limitations on the amount of progress you can make in a 24-hour period. This could be a good way to cut the operating cost. Instead of letting the player roam at will, you could give them specific missions to complete each day. At the end of the missions, the hero has to "rest at an inn," meaning the player won't be able to access more missions until tomorrow. If you're monetizing it, you could have some kind of purchasable stamina/energy points. For example, at the beginning of the day:

Hero "wakes up" with 10 Stamina.
Player accesses a quest board with a list of possible missions for today. The list states the stamina cost for each mission. Distance traveled and the overall difficulty of the mission/monsters determine how much stamina is depleted.
When stamina reaches 0, the hero automatically "rests at an inn." The player has to wait for several hours before playing again. Unless...
Players have the option to buy more stamina points. They have bundled options, such as 50 stamina for $1, 100 stamina for $3.50, etc.

In this case, the game would have no up-front cost. Players would download and try it for free (with ads), then pay as they get hooked. The game would need to be highly competitive so that players will buy more stamina in order not to fall behind other players. Also, you could make game overs deplete a certain amount of stamina. For example, Game Over depletes 10 stamina. A player who has the free version has to wait before playing again, but a player who pays will have extra stamina they can use to respawn and keep playing.

Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really, there is a bunch of features, or even small game concepts that can be made from using real world maps.. I had some crazy thoughts on using real world maps (not requiring the player to move in real world to move in game, they would have free roam) but the goal would basically be to 'infiltrate america'... you would begin in some country like iraq/afghanistan... I figured that concept was probably far too politically charged that it would attract a bunch of negative attention and either make me monies, or get me thrown in jail... lmao

I'm also not very greedy, and games that impose insane limits on what a player can do each day personally frustrate me. I dont mind paying developers for in game purchases, but what i dislike is not being able to enjoy the game for free when i want to. like, I shouldnt have to pay money to a game each day, and i wouldnt expect others to pay money to mine as frequent either :D

With that said, I'm not silly, I would of course add some method of generating income from the game. :p

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About finances, you can adjust it to whatever you feel is fair. My concern is that if your api continually charges you for players using the game, it doesn't make sense to charge players for a one-time purchase. You would need a continual stream of income such as players purchasing stamina, health, costumes or other bonuses.

I like the invasion idea. Some politically charged games do go viral haha. But actually, you could make it comic if the game is Sci-fi. Maybe the player is an alien trying to invade America and scout the country for a full-scale alien takeover?
Just don't make it too much like Pokemon Go. I heard there were players walking into military installations and even minefields to catch Pokemon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")
Stream will be live shortly with some more Minecraft spriting! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SehoraX