Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just for my own curiosity...

When you play someone else's game, what screams out to you "this game needs more polish?" Naturally, any sort of bug will bring that thought into your mind. Obvious spelling and grammar mistakes as will do it as well. What else do you think of? For example, I like when the skill/item descriptions all follow a similar format and are easy to understand.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Spelling and grammar mistakes and I second on the dialogue. Some characters speaks like NPCs, like zero personality and if the game is focused on the story then that's just not a no go.

I'm not fond of being thrown into a game and I have no idea what to do as there's no explanation anywhere. It's fine to make a player try things to figure out what to do, but I do think there should be hints at least. If there's nothing then I definitely think the game would need polishing.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Clarity of everything.
Anything that could look better (mapping/UI/animation).
A better game flow or mechanic.

A bug is not about polishing. It is about fixing.
Polishing means something works, but can be better.

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice! Definitely making sure animations and mapping look clean.

I’m pulling from the definition I’ve read from a few developers: “polishing is fixing anything that would pull a player out of the game.” That’s a very subjective statement, but I’d argue a bug could fall under that. Of course, I imagine you’d go through lots of bug testing prior so I see what you mean.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If the bug is categorized as a glitch (non-game breaking bug) like the wrong tile passability, then yes.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most often, it's just, "what purpose does this serve?". If I find myself asking that at any point during gameplay, it usually means the game isn't polished in some way.

Similarly, "why am I doing this?".

I find myself grinding for materials to craft, "Why do I have to do this? What's the point? What purpose does forcing me to grind these materials to craft serve?".

I don't worry so much about "dialogue" and "story", so long as it's sensible. I've played games written in such a way that they could've theoretically been written by someone under the age of 10. I've played games written by people who are obviously some sort of intellectual or pseudo-intellectual. I don't really care about either, so long as the story being told makes sense, the characters have some defining traits, and it keeps the game moving along without too much nonsense. I don't need "The greatest story ever told" every time I Play a game or "the greatest dialogue ever written". All I need is "is this coherent? Do I care about the gist of what's being told to me?"

I will happily run down the country-side trying to slay the dragon to get the princess back with dialogue and story presented to me in words no larger than 5 letters long, so long as you make me care about what I'm doing and it makes logical sense. But, I will also delete your game if it's full of words longer than 8 letters long and so rambling and incoherent that it sounds like you're getting off on staring at your own belly button (which is probably largely why I've never played more than an hour of anything made by the guy who did Metal Gear Solid and Death Stranding).

Polish, to me, is the thing you do to streamline the experience. To make it smooth. The thing that makes it feel good. Like a polished rock in your hand. Beautiful and so smooth you can't help but rub your fingers across it.

Any part of your game experience that makes it NOT feel like that smooth rock and instead like a rough or jagged edge... Yeah, it makes me go, "you didn't polish your game enough."

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I found a book about game localization. It costs R$708,00 on Amazon. ;_;
I really wish my game was far enough along for it to be actually playable beyond certain aspects. I think I've crafted a really fun battle system thanks to ATB, fighting game, and Boost point mechanics.
Play test of my current progress on Happy Camper
Cutscene Contest Winners have been announced!

I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow! My dad and I have forgiven each other, so we're planning to spend Spring Break together. We'll probably go to SeaWorld and Aquatica one day, and maybe even use my air fryer to make something to go with Dad's grilled steak. The train leaves tomorrow, and I'll be working on my game on board!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Red_panda18