DorkLord

10th Level Google Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am currently mulling over the aesthetics of both for my current project. I am inclined towards FF style myself for mapping but wanted to gauge public opinion. Feel free to add your comments below!

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the outside/inside separated is the mainstream way. For one, it allows you to use different tilesets, unless you're parallax mapping (then it shouldn't matter).

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DorkLord As this is a discussion section of the forum, it might be helpful if you edited your opening post to ask that people give reasons for their choice, not just vote.

DorkLord

10th Level Google Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@DorkLord As this is a discussion section of the forum, it might be helpful if you edited your opening post to ask that people give reasons for their choice, not just vote.
I added an addendum. I am definitely interested to hear thoughts and opinions on the subject.

For further exposition, I am currently mulling over the aesthetics of both for my current project. I am inclined towards FF style myself for mapping but wanted to gauge public opinion.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
separating the interiors into individual maps might give your more freedom when creating custom tilesets and referencing events.

don't forget that map events add to the overall load.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was also a style that when you enter the house, the rest of the map was covered by black/fog. I personally enjoyed the Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) style. It was the game I spent most of my childhood playing. Entering a house was switched to first-person and all you could do was talk to the person in the house or talk to the shopkeep. You were not able to walk around the house/shop.

DorkLord

10th Level Google Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
separating the interiors into individual maps might give your more freedom when creating custom tilesets and referencing events.

don't forget that map events add to the overall load.
Of course, I'm doing something a bit "retro" (obligatory buzzword) and minimalistic and probably using only two mapping tilesets. The image in the first post is a preview (it's compressed so it looks a little crappy) and I'm still working on the tileset which is why the maps look a bit barebones. I wanted to do custom art but I don't want to recreate the entire default RTP in my own style so I'm using a more limited approach, instead of the typical "biggest RPG evahh!" combined with "I need someone to make art for the biggest RPG evahh! ...for free but I can pay you in exposure(TM) and when my game makes the millions of dollars it's obviously going to make."

There was also a style that when you enter the house, the rest of the map was covered by black/fog. I personally enjoyed the Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) style. It was the game I spent most of my childhood playing. Entering a house was switched to first-person and all you could do was talk to the person in the house or talk to the shopkeep. You were not able to walk around the house/shop.
I think I know what you mean, when you enter the house, the roof disappears, yeah?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, both have its own charm.

For RPG I prefer the first one. For technical reasons, you don't need to put many events in a single map but separated. Less resource-demanding, and you can use a different tileset. Also, you don't walk a quite long way into the next building.

For other than RPG, like probably, a tactical game, I prefer the second one. For obvious reasons, you can enter the building in the tactical layer.

AfroKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haaaate making towns. But here's my two cents.

The inside+outside combined is alot harder to make it good unless the rooms are super small which is weird. If they are too big then it takes to long to walk around them.

The FF way is just mainstream to do it

My way is no insides unless it's plot driven. So stores you open the door walk inside, door closes and the store window opens up. But no actual inside of the building. And of course you can't enter any random homes either.

Shikamon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I guess it depends on what purpose of your "interior" map. for the shop, IMO there's no need a roof tile because you only want to trade something with NPC. Interior map still better when there's a lot of events can be triggered like a hidden treasure or special cutscene.

So I prefer DQ style for retro-wise.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer to keep them separate.

• Keeps your interior & exterior tilesets separated - trying to combine them means using up more space in the tileset, so you might run out of places to put all the tiles you want to use.

• Proportions are flexible - I can have a house that's 2x3 tiles on the outside map, but is 8x12 tiles on the inside map. As long as it's generally the same shape I don't mind that the sizes don't match - the proportions are usually pretty close though. This is similar to a world map that has a city represented by 4 tiles, but when you enter it, it's 50x50. I also don't want to have a massive map just because I have larger interiors. Means I have to do more work to make the outside look good, and the player has to do a lot more walking, which can just be annoying sometimes.

• Limited number of events - if I have all interiors visible, that means I have to have all events in those buildings on the combined map as well. Lots of events can affect performance. Also, if I want to have autoruns or parallel processes happening, or different BGS, based on being in a particular house, it's easier to do that if it's a separate map - otherwise I have to use conditions to say when it's to start and stop running.

• More realistic - when you're walking around your own town (you, not a player in a game), you can't see what's going on inside all the buildings - you have to walk into them to see. I don't think the player should be able to see everything in one hit - where's the incentive to explore?

• You can have buildings that can't be entered, but make the town look more full. Or buildings that can't be entered until a certain point in the game (could be spoiler-ish for the player to be able to see what's in there too early).

• Combined inside/outside doesn't let you have multi-story buildings or basements unless you put those on a separate map, so that's really a hybrid and not one or the other.

• It also means you can break up your development into smaller chunks and get a sense of progress - when an interior map is done, it's done. It's not just a part of a larger map that is still staring up at you, unfinished.

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Has a player that likes to explore I prefer when the inside of a house is a different map. Since I don't know what's inside, I'll go and have a look. On your second style, I would probably only explore the house with the staircase if I don't see anything interesting in the other houses. Also I agree with all the other points Shaz mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tharene