[Poll]: Item Drop Screen vs Loot Chests

After you win a battle, would you rather have a drop item screen or get the items from a chest?

• Drop Item Screen

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Loot Chest

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Alkaline

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a game that heavily focuses on obtaining enemy drops and crafting items from it. I've been wondering how should I approach the item drops.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Drop item screen is more streamlined, I guess better if you got very frequent drops, but not nearly as exciting. Or keep the common loot on drop item screen, and rarer loot from chests.

Vigorswig

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've seen some games that use both, and with good results. Though that might require tons of balancing... Generally, loot chests can be plentiful, but limited since infinite chests is impossible to my knowledge. But enemy drops can often entail the dreaded item drop grinding. It also depends on whether you can buy extra crafting items from shops or not, as well as how many of the rarer items can be actually FOUND in shops. I suppose it depends on how your game works fundamentally. (Said every RPGmaker Forum User ever)

Alkaline

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The idea is to have tiers of chests, like bronze, silver and gold, to contain different rarity items and to have the chests despawn after being open so it wont clutter the map. Though I wonder if the item drop screen is just more convenient for implementing and for player experience.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Painfull experience with chests in Phantasy Star and DQ (click click click...), so it's better to have a loot screen and goodbye. Chests should be limited to core items.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like a fusion of them, where you get the normal battle items in the victory screen, with a small chance to open a chest after battle takes place.

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land does this, and it's one of many reasons that bad boy is one of my favorite RPGs.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always found it odd that some random group of giant evil forest squirrels were somehow carrying 40 gold coins and a perfectly safe, unopened health potion.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I'm fine with item drop screens, I also love a Wizardry-inspired chest drop. Just as long as there's a risk-reward for opening the chest, especially without a Rogue or a Trap-Zap spell ;)

doriantoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The idea is to have tiers of chests, like bronze, silver and gold, to contain different rarity items and to have the chests despawn after being open so it wont clutter the map. Though I wonder if the item drop screen is just more convenient for implementing and for player experience.
If your game is designed around drops, loot, and these kinds of resources to craft additional items and equipment, ask yourself if chests might become tedious for the player. Does the drop screen not function exactly the same, while also saving the player time?

I would approach it from a streamlined perspective. And also, ask yourself if chests add or detract anything from the game? Or does the drop screen simply accomplish everything you set out to do with the system?

Insomniac_Warrior

Sleep is overpowered.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Sounds grindy; you should definitely make that feature streamlined via the item drop screen. Over time, utilizing those loot chests will become more and more boring to the player, like a chore almost. By keeping it a smooth operation, I believe the player will be able to appreciate the system much more when it comes to the payoff stage.

doriantoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds grindy; you should definitely make that feature streamlined via the item drop screen. Over time, utilizing those loot chests will become more and more boring to the player, like a chore almost. By keeping it a smooth operation, I believe the player will be able to appreciate the system much more when it comes to the payoff stage.
Yeah. Having a chest system sounds like that becomes the focus, whereas a drop loot screen means that item combining and crafting are instead the focus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

We start in 5 minutes!
I'm making MAGIC!
aww I am sad but happy for brackeys to decide to pursue something new but seing brackeys ending is so sad ;w;
Now RPG Maker has brought him here. He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the RPG Maker, just as he hates and loves himself. Featherbrain's life is a sad story. Yes, Featherbrain, he was called. Before the RPG Maker found him. Before it drove him mad.
Really struggling with XP animations but my game deserves my best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcussss