Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I am well aware these are all valid. However, if you HAD to choose one way of writing it in your database/game, which would you prefer? I am also aware there are other "short" one-handed swords out there that go by different names, such as the Gladius, Xiphos, Jian, or Wakizashi/Kodachi, but that isn't my question.

Edit: I also don't mind this thread turning into a weapons discussion, but I'd like this question answered at the very least. (especially if said discussion touches on how some of those aforementioned "short" one-handed swords I mentioned would translate into RPG terms/stats)

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd go with Short Sword, myself.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How about, Blade?
:D

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i always type shortsword but... to be fair im not really good at spelling so :kaosigh:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shortsword if you're talking about a specific class of swords.
Short sword if you're describing what a sword looks like.
That's probably the best way to think about this. My only concern is that Wikipedia uses "Short Sword". Oof, should I dare question the almighty lord of the internet? lol

I've changed the name of the weapon in my database 4 times now in the last hour.:kaosigh:

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shortsword if you're talking about a specific class of swords.
Short sword if you're describing what a sword looks like.
Yeah that makes sense. Like the difference between "the weapon shop had an array of shortswords on the east wall" and "its a short sword with a black hilt"

Still.... Part of me feels like typing it like shortsword would be fine in most situations anyways.... Since swords that are short are shortswords.... I guess maybe if it's a sword that is short but technically not a shortsword for some reason??? Umm

Edit: I guess you'd say short sword if you need to emphasize it's shortness for some reason???

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Technically it is short sword as there is no specific blade called 'shortsword' but rather it is a classification that holds seversl types of short sword (one example being a gladius). Completly different from longsword which is a specific type of sword aswell as a classification.

Thus you could best go with 'arming sword' xD

Edit: to clarify what ppl tend to call a short sword is actually a medieval arming sword :)

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, here's something that might be interesting for this conversation
Screenshot_20200721-044420~2.png
I play a LOT of DND, and it seems in that context it's called "shortsword", which might be useful since the terminology media uses sometimes plays by its own rules, and TTRPGs and RPGs do have a lot of intermingling with that sort of stuff

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: to clarify what ppl tend to call a short sword is actually a medieval arming sword :)
Funny you mentioned that cuz I actually had the weapon named Arming Sword before switching back to Shortsword/Short Sword. The only reason being that if I name it Arming Sword, I'd feel compelled to include a plethora of other semi-specific weapons as well. Such as Gladius, etc... So, I'm not against it, totally for it in fact (since it's more accurate), but it means more work on my part to keep the consistency. Right now I have the following for swords:
  • Shortsword (1 handed)
  • Bàstard Sword (1½ Handed aka can be used as 1h or 2h)
  • Longsword (2 Handed)
  • Greatsword (2 Handed w/ +1 reach)

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pm-ing you xD

turbobumblepuppy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd go with 'shortsword' too, but I wonder if a long shortsword could be longer than a short sword, or whether a short shortsword could almost be a dagger? Fortunately, I'm not a weapon crafter (or should that be 'weaponcrafter'?!), so don't have to worry about these things too much.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe the correct term is "Weaponsmith". :p

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd go with Shortsword. It just looks more right to me.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Short Sword is probably easier for the many, many players for whom English is their second (or third, or fourth) language. Shortsword can be read as if it were shorts word - I know, I once got into a heated discussion with someone who had made that mistake.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Short Sword is probably easier for the many, many players for whom English is their second (or third, or fourth) language. Shortsword can be read as if it were shorts word - I know, I once got into a heated discussion with someone who had made that mistake.
Oh wow, that's so difficult for me to imagine pronouncing in my head. My brain just automatically reads "shortsword" as "short sword". "Shorts word" breaks grammar rules and just makes my eyes bleed. T.T

I can see how a non-native English speaker might read it like that though...

Ok if we're going with "Short Sword", which is technically correct anyway, what about "Longsword" vs "Long Sword"? I've noticed "Longsword" seeing more widespread use.

pickledylans

lov the cronch
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i feel like i almost never see long sword over longsword
but it kinda feels weird to me to say longsword and short sword in the same context

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Long sword and longsword are both used plenty. Longsword being most commonly used in popculture and alike and long sword more used in antiquirean circles.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well as long as "Long Sword" is real and valid, I'll prefer to use that, especially for consistency.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well as long as "Long Sword" is real and valid, I'll prefer to use that, especially for consistency.
As a descriptions of a long bladed sword that can be wielded with either one or both hands you can xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry90