Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, "Long Sword" is too broad a term to be used as any single item. I guess the same goes for "Short Sword".

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Some folks who were history teachers told me how bad D&D was on medieval terms and antiquity monsters were confused. So... Your world, your own convention!

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably use either shortsword or short sword, depending on whether I was trying to describe a particular type of weapon (shortsword) or the general shape of a weapon (short sword). While I know it's technically also
correct to use short-sword, I've always thought that version looks weird, so pass on it.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
As has been mentioned above - "longsword" is a correct word because it's an actual, specific design of sword. You could say "long sword" as a descriptor, but that might refer to a longsword or katana or bastard sword or...

There is, however, no weapon actually named "shortsword." As you already stated, if you're going with European weaponry, the shorter sword would be an arming sword or knightly sword, as opposed to the longsword. Those are the correct names. Typically, games that use "shortsword" mean "arming sword," but grammatically it would be just as applicable to a gladius, etc.

I'm not sure where your third option, short-sword, came from - that's just grammatically incorrect usage of a hyphen.

RayGarden7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I am well aware these are all valid. However, if you HAD to choose one way of writing it in your database/game, which would you prefer? I am also aware there are other "short" one-handed swords out there that go by different names, such as the Gladius, Xiphos, Jian, or Wakizashi/Kodachi, but that isn't my question.

Edit: I also don't mind this thread turning into a weapons discussion, but I'd like this question answered at the very least. (especially if said discussion touches on how some of those aforementioned "short" one-handed swords I mentioned would translate into RPG terms/stats)
Short sword does have a nice ring to it but I think it depends on the type of game you are making

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry90