Poll: Should enemies try to escape at low health?

Should enemies try to escape at low health?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm debating on having all enemies attempt to escape at 20% or lower health (excluding bosses obviously). I think it adds a more realistic feel, as I want my enemies to feel alive. But I can also see how that could get very annoying for the player. Thoughts?

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, but that'd be super annoying to me. :biggrin: I'd be okay if some enemies escaped, like cowardly ones, or if you killed their captain or summat. But if everyone was running I'd feel cheated of my exp and gold!

Dororo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Where my Xp are going!?!? No! Don't go! I need your loot to finally heal this poison!... bah. Next time guys PARALYZE SPAMMING!"

Devildimos

I ruin memes for a living
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It reminds me of catching Abra in pokemon............. yeah.

Well, It really depends.
If you would make it a very low %. Like 5%/10% mhp and give it a chance to activate the escape skill. It would feel natural.
But not all the time p_q
@Finnuval can relate to this!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Should the enemy escape?

Bonus question: Do I get exp and loot?
A1: Yes you get them,
Escaping is not a problem

A2: No, you get nothing.
That's annoying. The enemy should have an unrealistic suicidal tendency and never escape.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A fair option would be to set a probability to escape for enemy, not certain, so if you fight a one battle, enemy won't escape, but when you start another then enemy might escape. Also also you could ask for plugin to control escape behaviour for enemies. And I just come up with an idea, you could make a skill for your actor, that prevent enemy from escaping.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't get the exp and loot after the work you've put in, it's not cool for the enemy to escape. I've always been upset and felt cheated when enemies escape a battle.

The only time this doesn't bother me as much is if it's like a metal slime from DQ.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's fine if certain enemies have the tendency to bounce. You should probably have that 20% chance be related to the hero's level though.

And I would generally keep this tendency to weaker enemies. Once you enter the late game, with really imposing foes, they should not be fleeing battle.

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As others have said if enemies escape and the player gets nothing, this sounds frustrating. Although perhaps you could build skills that prevent enemies from escaping, allowing players more control over the situation.

So I think this could work either by still providing rewards (maybe define it as "surrender" rather than "escape", or through block escape skills. I do think giving different behavior types can add some flavor to combat.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will separate this into different functions of enemies.
Normal Enemies: no player will hate you for wasting their time.
Treasure monsters like DQ and FF, those monsters intended by the creator to giving a boost to players.
Boss: I shall not judge because it might be a plot.

[Anyhow, it is good to talk things out. Do not afraid of asking the questions.]

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you intend for ALL enemies to exert this kind of behavior, then you should make them waste a turn "cowering in fear/think about escaping/crapping themselves" before they actually escape, so players actually had the chance to finish them off before they do.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It reminds me of catching Abra in pokemon............. yeah.

Well, It really depends.
If you would make it a very low %. Like 5%/10% mhp and give it a chance to activate the escape skill. It would feel natural.
But not all the time p_q
@Finnuval can relate to this!
This lol

I think it is cool for one or two - maybe even 3 enemies but definetly NOT all of them!

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I said No, assuming a default escape mechanic of "enemy uses escape move, enemy is out of the battle" and no special design around such a mechanic. That would be lame, because it would only serve to deny your player the rewards he has earned for besting that enemy (not to mention the satisfaction of finishing it off).

Remember that fun should always take precedence over realism when designing mechanics!

HOWEVER, if there is a certain gameplay dynamic that you are trying to create using this mechanic, and that dynamic is something that is enjoyable and interesting on its own merits (regardless of whether it is "realistic" or not) and it feels like it fits your game well, then you should absolutely go ahead and try to implement it! Using your "enemies escape at low health" mechanic as an example, here are a few different ways you could implement it in fun and interesting ways:
  1. When an enemy reaches low health, they use their next action to start to escape. The turn after that, they use the move that actually lets them leave battle. (This can be implemented in RPG Maker easily, by having the first move add a State to the user and having the second move be very high priority but require that State to be on the user.) The brilliance of this approach is that it signals to the player "if you want to kill that enemy, you have to commit to killing them now". It becomes a game or a challenge for the player, and it also serves as an interesting decision to make - maybe the player would rather let that enemy get away and focus on the higher-health enemies that are still attacking him, or maybe he has determined that the rewards he'd get for killing that enemy aren't worth the MP he'd have to spend to finish it off within a turn. Or maybe he just feels bad for the enemy, and wants to let it flee gracefully! You're putting it all in the control of the player, which is good.
  2. Most enemies don't escape, but some uncommon enemies that offer some kind of rare items or crafting materials or other great rewards (like gobs of EXP/Gold) will flee immediately if their HP gets too low. The challenge, then, becomes to set up a situation where you can spike the enemy from above the Flee threshold to 0 HP without letting the enemy act (for example, you might leave them at 27% HP, buff your allies' attack/magic power, build up TP, and then go all-in with everyone's strongest moves). Succeeding will feel great for your player and will represent a high moment in their gameplay experience, as long as you don't throw this mechanic at them too often (aim for less than 5% of total enemy encounters). The one thing you have to be considerate about is signaling the mechanic to your player so they know it's coming. Otherwise they'll be blindsided by it, the enemy will escape, and they'll never get to enjoy setting up a tactic to kill it. You might give all enemies that can flee some kind of visual characteristic that they have in common, for example, or use a different BGM for battles that they appear in.
  3. If your enemies tend to be human or very anthropomorphic, and you want to give your battles an unpredictable, immersive feel, you can have enemies beg for their lives when they're low on HP and you're not! The player outright has the choice to let them go (they flee, perhaps giving you a special reward) or not to (which has the enemy remain in the battle where you can finish it off), or maybe even an option to kill the enemy on the spot once they've begged, if you want to get dark. Rewards for letting the player go could be a rare item (or large amount of gold) they offer you in exchange for their lives, a large amount of EXP, some kind of karma points, or even no obvious reward at all (just the good feeling that you spared someone, and maybe it comes back to help you in some non-obvious way later, like you can find that enemy hanging out in a town later and when you talk to them there they offer you a sidequest or give you an item). Not only would this feel very realistic in addition to being fun, it also makes the player feel so powerful and it offers you a lot of different hooks for other game mechanics as the designer.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength Way to go at turning an annoying Abra mechanic into something fun/interesting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I wanna try making my game into an app because that sounds cool but I am so lost on how to :kaocry:
I found some tutorial but they all seem to use an older android studio(2.3.3)? I think the current version is 4.0.1?
is there an updated tutorial or do I need to find a way to get 2.3.3.?
My heart goes out to the family of Cannon Hinnant. Shame on all major news networks in America for not reporting that a 5 year old was executed by a grown man. Absolutely disgusting.
I hope Turkey and Greece can settle on the resources dispute peacefully.
whos hyped for rpg maker mz :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AriArtsy