[Poll] Unarmed Skill Tree

Which name sounds best for an unarmed skill tree?

• Brawling

• Fisticuffs

• Martial Arts

• Other? (plz comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just wanted to get a quick vote on which name for the unarmed tree sounds better.
  • Brawling
  • Fisticuffs
  • Martial Arts
  • Other? (plz comment)

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think of Casual Brawling Abilities like Jumps, Kicks, Punches, Throws when i think of Unarmed Combat.

I normally associate Martial Arts with some kind of Weapon because the first thing that comes to my mind when someone says Martial Arts would be a Shaolin Monk or a Ninja wielding weapons like Sticks, Metal Bracelets or Bladed weapons. But heh, that's just me.

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Martial Arts approach would just be a more fanciful way of naming the skills. Like there could be a move called "Five Fingers of Death" or something lol. Whereas Brawling would have to use more plain sounding skill names, as you mentioned.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely depends on the specific skills themselves and your game's setting.

Brawling sounds like someone who would just jump into a fight and start dealing and taking melee damage to and from multiple targets.

Fisticuffs sounds more like a one-on-one setting, but proper and gentlemanly, no cheap moves, definitely doesn't have a fight-for-your-life feel to it.

Martial Arts sounds more organized and specific in it's implementation, meaning the goal is usually to end a fight quickly by immobilizing, disarming, or incapacitate your enemy.

Honestly, I think Unarmed sounds the best as it leaves the door open for nearly anything from the other three.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hummm, the ability to fight with your fists, I would go with "fisting"
Lol, I'm afraid that might elicit certain undesired responses. :guffaw:

Honestly, I think Unarmed sounds the best as it leaves the door open for nearly anything from the other three.
Hmm, idk why that didn't cross my mind lol. It's so obvious!

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, couldn't you just do both of them?

Brawling relies more on brute strenght and demolishing foes whereas
martial arts is a little more elegant and defensive.

I think you could fill an entire skill tree for both of them.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moving to Ideas & Prototypes.

I went with "Brawling". I think that's my favorite.

Fisticuffs ("fisty-cuffs"? that's how I read it) sounds very silly - which could be a good choice if your game is cute and cartoony.

One other option could be "Hand-to-Hand" (or "Hand-to-Hand combat").

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, couldn't you just do both of them?

Brawling relies more on brute strenght and demolishing foes whereas
martial arts is a little more elegant and defensive.

I think you could fill an entire skill tree for both of them.
Do you mean like 2 separately dedicated trees for each? I mean sure that's feasible, but it's erring on the side of bloat. An unarmed tree wasn't really planned to begin with, but was a suggestion someone put forth, so why not. If I gave unarmed combat 2 trees, I'd have to give the other weapon playstyles equal treatment, and that would quickly bloat the game. I do agree Brawling & Martial Arts sound like opposing ends of a spectrum though.

Moving to Ideas & Prototypes.

I went with "Brawling". I think that's my favorite.

Fisticuffs ("fisty-cuffs"? that's how I read it) sounds very silly - which could be a good choice if your game is cute and cartoony.

One other option could be "Hand-to-Hand" (or "Hand-to-Hand combat").
Yes, I believe that's the correct pronunciation. I do like "Hand-to-Hand" as well. It's like "Unarmed" in the sense that it works as an umbrella term.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you mean like 2 separately dedicated trees for each? I mean sure that's feasible, but it's erring on the side of bloat. An unarmed tree wasn't really planned to begin with, but was a suggestion someone put forth, so why not. If I gave unarmed combat 2 trees, I'd have to give the other weapon playstyles equal treatment, and that would quickly bloat the game. I do agree Brawling & Martial Arts sound like opposing ends of a spectrum though.
Yes, I did mean 2 separate skill trees. You could let the player chose which unarmed skill tree they get.
So they have to decide between brawling or martial arts.

Or you could just do both of them in a single skill tree and call it Hand-to-Hand.

Then you could have a skill tree called hand-to-hand with brawling skill on the right and martial arts skills on the left. And in the middle you could do general skills that are neither exclusively brawling nor martial arts (you know, things like "kick", which could be both brawling AND martial arts).

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
brawler just make me think about untrained street fight, anything goes including weapons.

with fisticuffs i see in my head beefy guy possibly a sheathed weapon on their back just never uses it.
(often a story related reason)

Hand-to-Hand sounds like the best option for only using 1 type while implying "trained unarmed combat"

martial arts to me is just a category name for trained fighter but that could then be broken into "open hand" which would be an unarmed style focusing on debuffs and ignoring target's defense , while "closed fist" is a more violent style focusing on heavy attacks often having an element of recoil damage or risk.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm, you see my question, don't you? :) Martial Artist like your friend lol. You see if something can get into my brain and I am understand it will stay in my brain along time.
You have more choices to pick martial art. The skill tree, you can just look at the martial art techniques in the YouTube and pick them. Then, write them down.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unarmed Combat is a good generical name (while it look a bit... too generic).

Well, it also depend on the setting. If The Way of Exploding Fists is common knowledge in your game world, Exploding Fists Style can be a legit name.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it depends on what you want your unarmed combat to be. Is it something steeped in tradition, with branching schools\disciplines and philosophies? If so, then I'd go with martial arts. If it's more of a street fighting kind of thing, like your character just learns how to better handle themselves in a fight, and how to more quickly subdue an opponent, then I'd probably go with brawling.

Fisticuffs makes me laugh. It just sounds so silly to me. xD

Bokeh

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've always been partial to Melee, although if you're already using that as a weapon class it can get confusing. Context is everything.

EDIT: There's always....Fighting.

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Probably depends on the game setting and what you're trying to convey.

As an example; My game features an Athlete that will more than likely use fists or kicks as her attacks. But she's not a trained fighter, she's just tough and strong.

>Martial Arts doesn't sound like it would fit her fighting style.
>Fistacuffs might work better but that's more posh sounding.
>Boxing is a less posh form of the above but also has a more expected fighting style from the term.
>Brawling works as a term as she's more a street fighter.
>"Street Style" also could work as she's basically a "Pick up and use anything" type of fighter.

In my case, Brawling or "Street Style" works better. But if your characters are involved with some sort of actual Martial Arts school or tutor, that could work better.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, since it's a skill tree, I'd prefer something with a more flexible name, so "Unarmed" would work perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mordei