[Poll] Visible Enemies: Respawns

Which approach to respawns do you use/prefer?

• Enemies respawn after X amount of real time passes

• Enemies respawn after X amount of game time passes

• Enemies respawn when you leave and re-enter the map

• Enemies only respawn after defeating the boss (of that dungeon)

• Enemies only respawn after certain events trigger

• Enemies don't respawn at all (limited XP)

• Other...

• (I dislike/don't use visible encounters)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Icenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think that works pretty well for MMORPG's, or games styled after MMORPG's (e.g. dot Hack, Sword Art Online).

It doesn't always work as well for straight-up RPG's, where the player's 'route' is usually "how do I get through this damn dungeon", because what they want the most is to see more of the adventure, and it's less common to go to areas just to farm them efficiently.

I could definitely envision a regular RPG designed in a way where grinding areas is a major appeal, but I think that's far more the exception than the rule, and it's important to make sure your approach toward enemy encounters lines up well with what you think the player will want to do most. :)
I can agree, I myself am mixing 2 methods. Enemies that are in the "Open" think FFX the paths between major cities and areas, will respawn after X hours in game which will be 20-45 minutes (undecided and needs testing) Real time.
Where as the dungeons think FFX trials or major events, basically anything story. Will not respawn only once the event is completed. More story driven, you decide to block the passage now you deal with reinforcements.

In my perfect scenario, players can farm or grind out specific drops from key enemies and spend the in game time running around looking for that specific enemy. Good for bounty system or crafting system.
While when doing the story you wont deal with the annoying part of respawning enemies, I found that annoying in traditional RPGs where you take a wrong turn and had to refight your way back to the right path. Players should not be punished by exploring.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I make enemies respawn after 1 minute on-map, or whenever switching zone (my maps are big, having an entire area on a single map). They always appear transparent for a few seconds, before becoming active again. I find that 1-minute is enough to explore the surrounding part of the map where the enemy was, without running into it twice, but you will re-encounter it, if you return there to backtrack a little later on.

I have variables reserved for 10 mob spawns, so I never have more than 10 encounters on a map, which I find a good maximum number for the size of my maps. And it's why I reset them when the player moves to another map.
I also make it so enemies turn non-hostile after killing the boss in their area, so you can safely wander around, only engaging if you choose to.

Last edited:

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I currently use #3 as it is the easiest, no-brainer way universally accepted in RM games. (also because I don't want to use extra scripts, parallel events, and take the extra workload just for a specific kind of respawn routine that players don't care about) Players can grind all they want (if they want to for some reason) without having to exit the dungeon or wait 30+ seconds for something to respawn.

Ideally though, I prefer the Dark Souls way - enemies only respawn when you rest at a save point. :kaoblush:

Last edited:

Insomniac_Warrior

Sleep is overpowered.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
In my games, I've generally used 3 in dungeons that are out of the way and require individual exploration to find. I've hit 5 in the more story-orientated ones, where if the player wanted to hit those mobs again for materials, they could, but only after a full completion as to preserve the immersion during the quest.

I've stretched the rewards in such a way that a grind-fest can be as profitable as selectively completing quests to suit multiple playstyles. If people want to chill and just smack mobs all day, that's cool. If they want to run around and strategize, maybe even splinter cell to complete the various quests before them, that's cool too. I'm a fan of preventing monotony in gameplay choices.

doriantoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This has been done in other games, as well as I one I published, and I really enjoyed it, which is:

Enemies do not re-spawn, and killing all enemies in an area will net you access to a secret treasure room/additional treasure.

To offset limited experience, you can access as many encounters as you want in an area that gets updated as you complete each new dungeon. In my project this was a "hall of mirrors", where you can stare into a mirror and an encounter is triggered. New mirrors are unlocked with more difficult enemies as you progress through the game.

This system does three things;

Lets those that don't care about grinding move at their own pace.
Rewards those that want to completely clear an area.
Allows the player to grind as much as possible with little fuss or waiting around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".
Ami
--- F.Mage Cooking ---

F.Mage: Hey,guys. i made dinner for you!
M.Fighter & Hero: (Shock) Dinner???
(F.Mage Put The Failed And Burnt Dishes Surrounded With Creepy Aura)
Hero: What the...???
F.Mage: It's Curry Rice,Fried Egg And Cakes. I hope you guys like my Dishes.
M.Fighter: Are you kidding me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxdestructo