POLL: What kind of status HUD do you prefer?

What kind of HUD do you prefer?

• A row of data fixed at the top of the screen

• A box of data to the top left

• A box of data near the character sprite

• None

• Other

• Minimal indicators near the character sprite

• Multiple boxes along the bottom.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sigony

Crusader Masochist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Feel free to discuss why you prefer a specific HUD down below.

Do you DISLIKE a specific kind of HUD?

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I prefer the kind of hud I'm capable of making - basic af!
:LZScool:

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I prefer none for the most part. I do believe that at times that can be a need to display important information but I prefer the immersion of just wandering around the world with my character. I know many people say to limit the amount of time the player spends in the menus, but I'd rather be a single button press away from most generally important info that have it blasted on the screen at all times. That being said, i don think there is a really good argument to be made about enabling and disabling parts of the hud with common events linked to buttons, letting the player choose which info they would like to see/display at any given time.

Last edited:

Sigony

Crusader Masochist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@xDRAGOONx fair enough, I suppose it does depend on the type of game. If it is a generic RM game, there will be encounters where you see the health and such of your characters anyway. But if it were like a God of War, you'd want to know at all times.

Being able to turn it off is an easy feature to add, and is likely appreciated a lot by any players that want that, so I agree :kaopride:

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always steer away from the "it depends on the type of game responses" myself, as I feel the point of the poll is to get some general feedback about personal preference. "Depends on the type of game" isn't really an opinion :popcorn:

Sigony

Crusader Masochist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always steer away from the "it depends on the type of game responses" myself, as I feel the point of the poll is to get some general feedback about personal preference. "Depends on the type of game" isn't really an opinion :popcorn:
Well... I guess it DOESN'T depend on the game.

No, I appreciate your response, there's no right answer, I'm not correcting you :kaoswt:

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well... I guess it DOESN'T depend on the game.

No, I appreciate your response, there's no right answer, I'm not correcting you :kaoswt:

Oh no, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come off like that. I didn't feel like you were correcting me at all. I just remember a poll I did once, just looking for some general feedback and most everyone voted for "Depends on the game" lol, I guess I am still a little salty about it :kaosigh: But I guess it was my fault for the way I worded the original post.

I definitely appreciated the feedback I got there, as it helped me decide what was right for my game in the end anyway. It was about whether or not to show the followers at certain times and I decided that I would always hide all the followers but give the player to turn them on if they so choose, best of both worlds.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the small size and simple look.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Top. I mean, is where I'm expecting to find data.
Anyway, I'm with people telling data should be shown only when actually required and in a position relevant to the data pertinence (that's called "interface ergonomy" and believe me or not is a fully debated science you can look at and learn online).

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Strictly speaking, I prefer HUDs that are only visible when relevant.

A classic example would be Goldeneye's health, which only shows up when the user takes damage, or the user can call it up with a button press. This was more of an issue with older games; most newer ones have adopted this - like when your health is 100%, the bar fades away to transparent, because it's not relevant information, and removes as much of the HUD from the screen as possible.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also agree that having HUD elements only show up when they're relevant is a good way of doing it. If it's going to be permanent, I like it minimalistic, like something small in the corner of the screen. Or maybe add an option to turn visibility off.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like it big, blocky, and preferably black. And it needs to eat up at least one third of the screen. :biggrin:

Final_Fantasy_II_JAP_Battle.jpg

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you mean the keypad, yes I like it big. So I fixed them all in my game, all buttons are big, I don't like small buttons, if I want to aim at hit speed, it should be big.

I like it big, blocky, and preferably black. And it needs to eat up at least one third of the screen. :biggrin:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I had to pick a favorite HUD, it'd be a tie between Kingdom Hearts and Nier: Automata.

EDIT: iirc Metroid Prime's is good, too.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Top left of the screen for me, and that's primarily because I have Zelda-like game elements, like HP, MP, keys you collected being visible.

I have HP displayed because sometimes enemies can harm you on the overworld.

It just seems like standard procedure, plus I make the hud disappear for cutscenes and stuff like that. I like HUDs that are small but also give you everything you need.

But it really does depend on what kind of game you're playing.

Last edited:

LovelyFlower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Depends on game tbh.
For art-heavy I prefer less heavy HUD that doesnt block out the assets.
For game-play heavy, want detailed HUD that gives as much info.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have no problem HUD showing up all time. As long as it does not distract me from actually playing the game (like, HUD element blocked my vision). Immersion (as in, HUD not displayed) is irrelevant to me.

Having minimap shown in the top right/left corner, sure.
Having the HP bar HUD showed up in the bottom, sure.
As long as there is nothing important I need to take a look at those corners.

About what kind of information shown and how they're being shown. it really depends on the game.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please clarify what kind of huds you would like to discuss?
  1. Actor Hud
  2. Gold Hud
  3. MapName Hud
  4. Party Hud
  5. Treasure Hud
  6. Battle Hud
Since People here is talking about the battle hud like the basic hud like the default battle. I think the artist color and frame of the hud is more important to look at and a deciding factor to a player's eyes.

Last edited:

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
In general you should think about ergonomy of space. Making good use of the space in screen while giving objects a proper size (palatkorn is a good example of this, buttons in mobile benefit from being big so My sausage fingers can press them well). NES Final Fantasy gave you a big hud in battles but zero hud in exploration besides the textbox appearing when needed. This had to do both with limitations but also a design decision.

You also need to care about hierarchy. What stands out more will get your attention more. Think about sizes, positions, colors and even shapes. Make things be distinguishable, but not distracting.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Friendly reminder that you don't have to be able to do absolutely everything. It's okay to scale back features or assets if things are too much - especially if you're the only one working on the game! And you can always add things in later. <3
My new cutscene system makes it so much easier to add parallel stuff happening in the background, I can easily fill the whole screen with action.

I remember once when I was at Disney's Animal Kingdom and I got to dance with some of the cast members! It was so much fun! After the show my dad and I got frozen lemonade and some ice cream. It makes me feel better remembering the good things about my dad... maybe I will return to Orlando.
spending almost entire day to mod skyrim but it still couldn't run properly :(
My friend has become one with the glitter. @ImaginaryVillain, got any room in the Cult of the Sporkle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vbzaxa