RMMZ Poll: Which Characters should the game follow after large event

Which characters should the game follow?

• The two members who break off

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • The character that was broken off from.

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Im working on a game that has a system where one of the three main party members (the others can also do this later in the story depending on decisions made) will kill enemies if not properly strategize, or do so even more frequently if the player works for it. Given that one of the games main two themes is the vaule of a life, this effects the world itself outside of the battle, and the enemy stays dead.
One of the ending branches occurs if you either allow, or purposely cause said character to kill enough enemies in the name of protecting their friends (still working on the exact number). This leads to the most pacifist member of the group (whom in most endings acts as the main character) confronting the character, and eventually leaving with the other character in tow.
The question is who should the game follow from here. There are other endings that result in following just two or even just one of the members, however this is the only one where all characters are still alive, and one of the only two that lead to a real confrontation with the character at the climax.
Both sides sound good, as following the two characters would allow me to show how the characters attempt to deal with their decision, as well as allow for a very emotional final battle as the characters try to save the kingdom and their friend.
But following the character whom did the killing means being able to watch her descent into madness and try to justify what she's done.
What do you guys think?

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Given context, I'd say the game should follow the one character in this case. If the player's choices for the characters has lead to a schism in the party, then the player's perspective should follow the character that most aligns with the choices/mistakes/otherwise that lead them to that point.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would side with Htlaets. In addition to what was said already, this way the player is directly confronted with their choices consequences: I did not value life enough and now the characters who did so are leaving me. Since it's two Charakters leaving the party I imagine this affects the whole strategy in battle and makes things a bit harder, so they really feel the loss. Also directly seeing was they have done by killing those people, when the player characters descents into madness will have an additional effect.

Beewo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree with the two above posts. I would feel majorly annoyed if the decisions I made forced me to follow the party that went against the choices I as a player made. I would just want to know what the character that agreed with my choices was up to.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
the game should follow *the protagonist of the story*
if the protagonist of the story changes as the story changes, follow that character.
TV shows have been doing that for ages, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone: you walk into a situation with one character, and then the next scene focuses on another character.
if the writing is sound, there should be no problem jumping from one to another.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you consider the endings where the pacifist character leaves to be "bad" endings (especially if the game focuses on all the bad things that are happening due to the violent character's disregard for life), then I would definitely lean towards following the violent character. It gives the player the sense that something is wrong, and allows them to really feel the weight of their actions. Whereas it would feel very off-theme if you followed the pacifist character who is redeemed and freed from his (her?) past, essentially leaving the route that the player brought upon themselves.

If you don't really consider the different routes to be "good", "bad", or "true" endings, then you really could make a good story out of either the violent character's descent into madness (or even his redemption after realizing what he's lost), or the pacifist character's determination to walk a better path than his former teammate. Either one could be good, and it's up to you to think honestly about which perspective would be more compelling.

You could even have this route cover both perspectives, having the player play through both stories alternating back and forth until the final conflict (where the final branch, based on the player's decision(s), would determine whose perspective they play through the final confrontation in), though that does take a lot more storytelling mastery than a single perspective would.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Figured I would start posting what I am working on here. Anyways, a quest system plugin I have been working on:
20mgjmZ.png

What features would yall like to see in a quest system?
Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spooky_frog