RMMV [Poll] Would you rather see or not see a skill check?

Would you rather see or not see a skill check?

• Total voters

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Let's say you're speaking to someone who is lying to you.
You need an Insight skill of 35+ to see through their lie.
Would you rather have the dialogue automatically change if you pass/fail the check or would you rather see a popup saying something like "[Insight Check: 35] Passed!/Failed!" and then having the dialogue change?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to know whether I passed or failed, but don't necessarily need to see the number rolled.

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I liked Fallout NV's approach, you are unable to do that option but you see what you would need to be able to. It certainly motivated me to make endless alts :p

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to see some indication of what I needed to pass the check. I think this would be important for subsequent playthroughs, if you want to make sure you get the target skill points needed to see the different dialogue options.

Pearsona

Trash Goblin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We don't need to see the exact number, but it's nice to see that we failed the check. Persona comes to mind, as some dialogue options show up but then, if you select them, tell you that your social stats aren't high enough.

For example, you try to see through a con artist's lie but your perception or wisdom isn't high enough, maybe there could be some flavor text like 'something feels off, but your [stat here] isn't high enough to tell exactly what it is'.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hide it. Make it so I am fully aware I've failed the skill check through the dialogue itself. I'm not a fan of seeing mechanics at play in RPGs, with the exception of things such as a minimal HUD.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tend to prefer the Fallout: New Vegas approach. Let me see the requirements to pass the check, but even if I don't have what's needed, let me select the option anyway so I can see what's said when I fail.

RedFawkes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
BR Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like the original Fallout games method. It doesn't indicate that an option is there because of a skill point check. The option is simply organically integrated to the dialogue menu. It encourages the player to roleplay and choose what they believe is the best answer.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ahhh, see I don't play too many videogame WRPGs, so it's hard for me to make that call - but I do play some tabletop RPGs, and in those you essentially know the calculation (you roll the die and you generally know which stats are being added to that roll), but you often don't know what target is needed for a certain roll; you just sort of find out a moment later as the events unfold whether your roll passed or failed.

I think definitely don't show "Passed" or "Failed" - just let what happens speak for itself, and create that moment of drama where the player is hanging on and hoping it goes well. But I would probably show either the calculation (including the roll), or the target you need to hit (and the probability of hitting it), or both the target and the modifiers (and the probability of hitting it, but not the roll) - whichever one you think is more important for the player to understand why the pass or fail happened. Show something, but not everything.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd rather see something like
"Sentence" (Insight)
"Sentence" (Intimidation)

and on pass/fail, see the result as a popup, but not the value.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which game showed the dialogue options for skill checks as color coded? Yellow meant you had reasonable chance to succeed, red meant slim to zero chance, and green meant it was a for sure success.

I thought that was a pretty good way to show when a skill check was needed for certain dialogue options because even if you didn't have a lot of points put into whatever was needed, you still saw the options and could adjust with a new character.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which game showed the dialogue options for skill checks as color coded? Yellow meant you had reasonable chance to succeed, red meant slim to zero chance, and green meant it was a for sure success.

I thought that was a pretty good way to show when a skill check was needed for certain dialogue options because even if you didn't have a lot of points put into whatever was needed, you still saw the options and could adjust with a new character.
Fallout 4 did that.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can offer the best of both worlds by having an option to enable/disable the feature so it pleases a wider audience. For the showing crowd though, don't show the numbers until AFTER the fact. This way it's fair to the non-showing crowd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hello folks, I'm an old member deciding to reenter the forum. Greetings :D
When a parent (of a less than adult aged child) is like
"Oh, I'm like a friend to my child. We're friends."
I'm like
"Oh, that kid's gonna suck...."
Baby tiger gets a belly rub! ^.^
Ami
--- Friendship System ---

(F.Mage and F.Healer's FP is 100)
F.Mage: We did it! we can beat the monster easily!
F.Healer: With the Friendship System,we got stronger thanks to you F.Mage (Hugging)
F.Mage: (Blushing) Ahh...don't say like that. we are Best Friend Forever.
(In Distand)
M.Mage: They look happy...
M.Healer: Yeah...always like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CotE