Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
With each new version of the Maker, the quality of the graphics becomes worse and worse. What is this disgrace?!
SF_Actor3_7.png

Many figures are made with distorted proportions. Small bodies and big heads. Huge bodies and small heads. Huge arms and small bodies. Are they hobbits? Or gnomes?

SF_Actor3_8.pngActor2_1.pngPeople2_4.png

What a weird pose ?! How will it look about with the rest of the shapes?
People4_8.png

Where are their feet?

Actor2_5.pngEvil_7.png

There are, of course, pleasant characters, such as a princess or a maid, but mostly characters are faded, lackluster and expressionless.

I hope that in the next versions of the program much more attention and efforts will be paid to the graphic performance of the characters.

Attachments

1Mustadio1

BromanLegion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What you're angry about is just your objective opinion of the art style. It absolutely hasn't gotten worse. It's just different. Relax. If you don't like the built in assets you're more than welcome to make your own. In fact, that's literally the point of the engine. To give creators the ability to design their own games. Art and all.

Oh and their feet are just cut off by the border. lmao chill

BudgetVersailles

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always saw the RTP/default assets as for the users who just want to make a game, for fun/a hobby/or to share with friends. They're free to use and built into the software for ease, which is one of the main selling points of the engine. Anyone can make a game, even if you're not an artist.
If you're considering making a commercial game you'd probably change them.
The style isn't my own personal preference either, but I think you're being a bit dramatic and could maybe see the purpose of the default assets as being to just aid non-artists make a game.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you don't like the built in assets you're more than welcome to make your own.
That's the problem. I DO NOT WANT to order drawing of characters for wild money from hired artists. I want to sit in the evenings and quietly generate my simple stories in which the characters fall in love or fight. I need a set with cute, well-drawn characters at the start. From what I have, I can collect a dozen +/- interesting, no more. Add-ons from outside artists usually have a different style and are not applicable in one game. As a result, this episode is useless for me and I will continue to sit in MV, for which I have already collected at least some good content. As a result, MZ is not a new toy with new impressions, but some kind of heap of indistinct rubbish, created for some unknown reason. I WANT BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS! I JUST WANT BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS! But instead of them I again get unclear what.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am having no opinion yet. I am eating and probably just open and close my eyes, before I download MZ.
Do not ask me why I am posting lol.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, there are good ones among them. Such as these:
Nature_5.pngActor1_2.png

But what is this? This is just bad!

People1_6.pngNature_8.png

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So what everyone here suggests? Do you think the artists should to increase resolution or moving the pictures up and down?

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
The only thing I want is for the artists to pay attention to the proportions of the bodies, not to bend the legs of the characters like some pipes and not to crop the pictures. Also, a little more design effort. The playable characters (with the exception of body proportions) are quite good, but the NPCs are made completely expressionless.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The proportions are way off, that's what's wrong. I'm not even a particularly good artist myself but even I see it immediately without even looking for it.
IDK, from what I've seen posted on this thread, the only ones that look slightly disproportionate are a couple of the modern ones and the near-naked sun-deity guy.

It's definitely true that a lot of the fantasy style images have shorter, stockier look to them; but, they are not really disproportionate. I'm seeing arm and leg joints matching up where they should in relation to the torso size.

1Mustadio1

BromanLegion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The only thing I want is for the artists to pay attention to the proportions of the bodies, not to bend the legs of the characters like some pipes and not to crop the pictures. Also, a little more design effort. The playable characters (with the exception of body proportions) are quite good, but the NPCs are made completely expressionless.
Again. What you're saying has nothing to do with the quality of the art work. The quality is more than fine. You're complaining about the style. Anime comes in many many styles. Some more realistic than others. The exact proportions are decided by the artist. What you should be saying is. "I don't like the style personally" But what you're saying instead is "The art is just bad" Which is an objectively false statement.

The proportions are way off, that's what's wrong. I'm not even a particularly good artist myself but even I see it immediately without even looking for it.
The proportions have nothing to do with good or bad. That's an extremely closed minded position to take. Look at my profile picture. It's Zidane from FF9. Does he look like he has "correct" proportions? The answer is no. No he does not. Still an amazing character design. Don't mistake your personal opinion with objective reality.

That's the problem. I DO NOT WANT to order drawing of characters for wild money from hired artists. I want to sit in the evenings and quietly generate my simple stories in which the characters fall in love or fight. I need a set with cute, well-drawn characters at the start. From what I have, I can collect a dozen +/- interesting, no more. Add-ons from outside artists usually have a different style and are not applicable in one game. As a result, this episode is useless for me and I will continue to sit in MV, for which I have already collected at least some good content. As a result, MZ is not a new toy with new impressions, but some kind of heap of indistinct rubbish, created for some unknown reason. I WANT BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS! I JUST WANT BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS! But instead of them I again get unclear what.
You're complaining for strait up ridiculous reasons. Every single asset that comes included was painstakingly drawn by an artist spending thousands of hours to do so. That's what it takes. If you're unwilling to pay a different artist to do it then buy yourself some art supplies and get to practicing homie.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Huge head. Short arms. Short legs. Dwarf.
People1_6.png
Small head. Why is the sailor classified as "evil"? Or is it a bandit? Design slip.

Evil_1.png

Much different style of (does not fit with the others):

Nature_6.png

Ugly cropping:

People2_1.png
People3_2.png

Terribly crooked legs:
Actor1_2.png Actor1_4.png

SF_Actor2_6.png

Featureless design:

People1_1.pngPeople1_2.pngPeople1_5.pngPeople1_6.pngPeople1_7.pngPeople4_7.png

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Incomprehensible monsters, not very suitable for fantasy:Evil_4.pngMonster_5.png

The sun god for the poor:

Nature_8.png

Astonishingly awkward weapon:

Actor1_5.png

Austrian

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
@1Mustadio1

That's a bit different, Zidane is very proportional to his size, meaning his arms and legs are proportional to his body. The exception for Zidane is his head, but having larger heads is okay and its an art style.

Whereas what the OP is saying are you have disproportions to the relative size of the character. Meaning there's a full-body size character but the arms/legs are too short relative to the body size. Sometimes the head is too small for the body as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thank you all angels so much! I've received fanarts, fanfics, song cover, and Ko-fis and such wonderful messages already! T uT Look at this message I'm crying (Ko-fi was being mean saying it was anonymous but she was like nooo it's me and showed me).
Working on using DreamX's prefix suffix plugin to create unidentified weapons, armor and sellable loot. The weapons and armor will always draw from the highest tier you have the ability to create, keeping them relevant throughout most of the game. The loot is going to be the fun part! Let's just say I doubt I'll have any unused item entries
... I updated an enemy I drew last year.
My dynamic weather system grows... now with cloud cover influenced by wind speed! (4x playback) (Not final cloud image/map)
Wrote a plugin today that allows you to assign BGM, Battlebacks, and even Battle Entry SE's on a per-troop basis. Introducing a random encounter with a high-pitched Chicken Squeal is worth it all by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemaMaster