Popular Anime You Don't Like?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by BreadInc, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Fate Zero: Actually...I think Gen Urobuchi is a hack in general, I have no idea why so many people like his trite, edgy story telling. Kiritsugu really has no value as a protagonist if you're older than 13, he's just a "badass" for children to project themselves onto

Psycho-Pass- Same problems I generally have with Gen Urobuchi's writing. It's all a bunch of big ideas that are explored with the depth of a puddle. Interesting concepts sure, but ultimately never brought to fruition.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- The worst of Gen Urobuchi, its literally just a basic magical girl show with crying, people acted like it was somehow subversive...except it only subverted their IDEA of what magical girl shows were rather than what they really were. Also the entire "theme" could probably be summed up as "people get sad when bad things happen to them"

Death Note- This one mainly because I just didn't like anyone in the story.

Attack on Titan- Again, its just trite and edgy, it tried really hard to be dark...by killing no names and allowing their main character to comeback from the dead.

Amarok and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  2. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gonna have to confess my sin guys... I didn't like Corey in the House.
    I'm sorry, it just was not as good as people say it was. The animation was good sometimes, and it ocassionally had decent action but
    it just was so all over the place that it felt like it didn't really know where it was going with this plot. Things were getting brought up and brushed over/forgotten, the characters just became a single character-trait on legs, and the ending was so unsatisfying I felt cheated. The only undoubtably good thing about it was it's opening music.

No wait, not Corey and the House. Evangelion.
    I'm thinking of Evangelion.

3. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Whew...I can accept not liking Eva...but not liking Corey in the House? Only an evil robot could ever think that.

Darkanine and The Mighty Palm like this.
  4. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I didn't like SAO, at all. It was quite boring and generic, I couldn't watch more than 5 episodes

Wow, I felt it was the complete opposite. FMA had some badass scenes that FMAB displayed humorously and even childish. Two of my favorite scenes were the one in which Edward explains Rose the chemical composition of the human body at the church (in a very philosophical way) and the other one when Ed and Al tell Izumi they tried to bring their mom back form the death; man that scene in FMA was very powerful and emotional but in FMAB was just... a joke.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I never really got into Naruto Shippuden and still vastly prefer part 1. My uncle is super into Shippuden and he's adamant about how even the filler in Shippuden is amazing but...I dunno, it just doesn't hit the same notes for me.

Death Note is another one. I concede that it's not a bad series or anything, but it's a series that makes me angry, which turns me away from it. I want to watch stuff that inspires me, not puts me in a rut, which is why Astro Boy and Digimon are probably my favorite anime series (even the depression Astro Boy stuff is inspiring) and why Superman/Superboy are my favorite superheroes.

A minor one, but Doraemon. I actually quite like the series, but I can just never watch it for more then a few episodes without turning to something else.

6. Oliin

Oliin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not a fan of Death Note myself. It's a combination of my severely disliking the main characters as well as really not being a fan of Xanatos Gambits.

7. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Pokemon.
    it's so stupid.

I used to like it, when I didn't know how stupid it was.
    now I know better.
    every incarnation is just a collection of 20-minute advertisements for toys.

consolcwby likes this.
  8. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For myself, it was the contrary.

FZero has an odd narrative style, but it contrasted well the POV and strategies of the different factions.

UBW comes across as if the director tried shoeing as much of the visual novel as possible in the anime.
    The light flirti-ish, kind of tsundere feeling Rin and Shirou have going on in the first 6-7 episodes didn't feel necessary.

It failed to hook me but I'll probably give it another shot one of these day.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  9. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The same could be said for a truck load of series. Digimon, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tokusatsu in general are all given animated/Live Action adaptations to sell toys, but that doesn't mean they're bad series. That said, I myself don't enjoy Pokemon as much as I used too. The low budget in animation has made the battles repetitive and lack most of the tension they used to have, and the world-building is surprisingly limited despite being set in a sprawling fantasy world.

Countyoungblood likes this.
  10. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    yes, but Pokemon takes the prize.
    I liked one of the last Transformers series, where they didn't sell any toys of them, and then it got cancelled.... go figure :/
    Digimon, they just jumped on the bandwagon of selling merchandise started by Pokemon, but it did have a good story.

11. arekpowalan

arekpowalan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sword Art Online, mainly because I can't stand the main character. In fact, I don't like many "I'm so dark I get all the girls" light novel protagonists. People like Kirito sound really smuggish and they act like they have world-ending issues even if they have powers surpassing a lot of other people. Their struggles seem really weak given there are too many other characters that won't complain about their lives even if they are weaker and less popular than the edge-lord antiheroes.

12. ProjectUnknow

ProjectUnknow Just a Lonely Producer Member

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alrighty, so these are my personal opinions.
    So two things I hate most in anime, forced comedy or fan service.
    • Fate/Stay Night. Maybe its because I watched Fate/Zero first? I just don't like the main character (the red hair kid don't remember his name) I watched until the second episode when I stopped.

• Violet Evergarden. I like the anime, sure, but I thought the story would go like the Novel, so I stopped watching after episode 3-4.

• Noragami. I got recommend for this one, but I just don't like the comedy so I stopped watching half way through the first episode.

• Soul Eater. Oh this one... Firstly I give props for the art and smooth animations, the story is alright, But the ecchi/fan service... I can't stand it, I forced myself to watch it for 5 episode until I gave up on it.

• Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress. I've never watched Attack on Titan but I did watch Kabaneri. I love Steampunk, one of my favourite genre, I genuinely loved the first episode, but as I continue on watching I started to hate it more, This one is far the worse anime I've ever watched. I did finished it though,

• Akame Ga Kill. What can I say...? but at least its better then Kabaneri. Finished this one, because I like the gore in this anime.
    Alrighty, so that's all I guess, remember, these are my personal opinions :D I may be too harsh on Kabaneri, but yeah, I just don't like it.

13. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I tend not to like the anime that have hundreds of episodes...yeah, that includes One Piece, Naruto, etc. Like something about them is definitely addicting, but then when I see all the time spent on watching all those episodes, I get anxiety lol. And some episodes are just one conversation that is DRAAAAAAWN OUT. I can't stand it!

14. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    My Hero Academia - I felt like they really wasted the academy setting. They don't give us a real sense of what life is like at the academy and skip over so much stuff that could flesh out the world and focus too much on stereotypical shounen stuff that makes it seem like the hero element is practically absent. Some things don't make any sense, like the baby character who throws sticky balls being able to get into a hero academy despite having no practical power. It feels like a bunch of decent characters forced through narrow characterization and plot.
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I don't really care if things are truthful to the manga because I don't think manga is usually that good anyways. There is usually a bunch of extra content that has less depth than the things an anime usually focuses on.)
    Naruto Shippuden - Takes up too much time at the beginning and it feels like a shounen that was drained of all of the personality that got it popular. I'm guessing it is probably fine if you manage to get past the first 200 episodes or something.
    Mob Psycho 100 - The premise is too weak and it just feels like flashiness for the sake of flashiness while being really stereotypical and slow, unlike One Punch Man which is playful and leaps around. The main character is a psychic, but has a really annoying personality that doesn't feel like he should have it. There really isn't a hook for me.
    Gurren Lagann/Kill La Kill - I feel the same way about both. A bunch of weak elements that feel like they were trying to be hidden under excessive emotional displays and humor. Gurren Lagann has less interesting things to disguise it so I never got past the first episode while Kill La Kill is more interesting but has more annoying elements (especially that short haired girl) so I gave up at episode 3 or 4.

15. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A long time ago pokemon was pure magic that made me so happy..then they did what we all wanted to happen and they added more pokemon...big mistake.. and pokemon was broken for me forever. About what almost 20 years ago? Well dayum..

Never watched enough one piece to get into it. but sao was acceptable cheese to me taking it for what it is..

Inuyasha is a show i wish i could watch but i dont have the time/patience.

Cowboy bebop was good.. but got too built up in peoples minds by bubbling fans

Honestly i dont watch/play anything anymore.

16. Nivlacart

Nivlacart I just opened an art shop 11/6 :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All the Fate shows seem incredibly depressing.
    Even after trudging myself through it hoping it'd be worth it in the end... It... wasn't?

And the recent last season's Darling in the Franxx.
    Oh boy, was that show a pile of hot garbage.
    I had higher expectations for Studio Trigger (even though they only did the first half of the anime, which was arguably the better half I suppose).

17. Adonael

Adonael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anything to do with JoJo after part 2. Ever hear of a thing called brand fatigue.

SAO but that's beating a dead horse.

Attack on titan.. beating another dead horse.

Bleach had some interesting ideas, but Yu Yu Hakusho did it better.

Oh Naruto and not because it is bad, but because I couldn't stand most of it and went on FOREVER.

There's more I just can't think of them off of the top of my head.

18. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Attack on Titan: I just couldn't get into it. Probably partly hype backlash, too.

19. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I myself couldn't get into Attack on Titan, despite wanting to like it. Fortunately, I came across Knights of Sidonia which is exactly what I wanted: A kickass anime that I could like as much as Evangelion.

20. joombo

joombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your Lie in April. I recently watched it and really didn't like it, hated the characters and felt nothing during the emotional moments. All I could think was how other anime did the subject matters better. Hibike was a better classical music anime, 3-gatsu did drama and characterisation better, and Clannad did a tragic romance better.