Porting a commercial game to Linux and Mac?

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can it be done legally by using the open-source middle ware out there?
Thanks in advance :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The port is a technical problem, it has nothing to do with commercial or non-commercial.

If the port can be done without changing or reverse-engineering the RM, then it is allowed (that means the middleware needs to be a wrapper, not a converter or modifying the engine)

It might be that there is an official converter in alpha-status (so far the converter has only been confirmed for a mobile platform, but it might be able to handle other formats as well), but that converter probably won't be available for purchase until next year (2016) or even later as it isn't even in Beta yet and the alpha-tester reported a lot of quirks using it.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think, based on what Andar said, you can legally use WINE or another Windows emulation layer to run RPG Maker.  If you make a WINE configuration (or whatever Windows emulation layer you use) and you feel comfortable charging for it AND handling all of the many support issues that come up, you can legally sell RPG Maker games for Linux and the Mac.

That's as long as whatever Windows layer you use allows this type of licensing.

But, I have heard other people use WINE to run RPG Maker games, and they said it took a lot of configuration to get running properly.

So it might be a lot more trouble than it's worth, since RPG Maker does not natively run on Linux or the Mac.  Would you get enough sales to justify the support costs of supporting both your game AND its Windows emulation layer?

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
As far as I know the mkxp by Ancurio is a clean-room implementation so the issues of reverse-engineering is avoided.

Unlike what the above posters mention the issue is rather of legal nature.

You must have permission to use RTP resources in mkxp. The standard license does not include the required permissions. It is quite explicit that it certainly does not include the required permissions.

To the Moon and A Bird Story are both RPG Maker XP games where mkxp has been used to create Linux and Mac ports.

I know Reives had to get separate permissions to do it. How I don't know, but you could try to contact him. Nor do I actually know the effort required to create the mkxp port.

*hugs*

- Zeriab

karakuroness

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had no problem running my demo in Wine. Just throwing that out there.

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just make my customers aware that they can run my games on their desired platform when run through Wine/Windows emulation software. 

My lead tester, in fact, uses a Linux machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

While we prepare the official trailer, enjoy this kind-of-second teaser! ^^
-Ele
New Episodes of RPG Shenanigans Uploaded to Youtube!

Episode 5 - Surprise Party!
Youtube Link:
Episode 6 - Killer Gin
Youtube Link:
Episode 7 - Gaia's Melody: Echoed Melodies
(Coming soon!)

Episode 8 - Clarent Saga: Tactics
(Coming soon!)

Episode 9 - Star Shift
(Coming soon!)
When the Map Generator throws in the assets in the most dumbest way possible - your path is blocked :D

I went to sleep at 3 am because of my anxiety. Set up my alarm for 7 am so that I could have sasagues for breakfast and do morning routine before lessons starts at 8 am. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep even after my lessons finished because I have to visit my grandparents today I was sad bc I was really tired. Thats when I realised. My lesson starts at 9 am. I could get one extra hour of sleep if I didnt forget it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS