Porting Resources/Database Contents?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by TheUnsungChampion, Jul 15, 2016.

1. TheUnsungChampion

TheUnsungChampion Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have a slightly weird question. I have started working on two projects somewhat overlapped (a bad idea, I know, especially for a new developer; however, it keeps me working even when I have a mental "block" on one game because I am usually able to think of SOMETHING to do for the other). While I was poking around in the database of my secondary project today, I realized that a ton of the enemies that I had made in my secondary project would actually be as good (or better) in my primary project. However, I am already about 100 enemies in, and I REALLY don't want to have to rebuild all of them from scratch in my primary project. Is there a relatively quick and easy way to port JUST the contents of this one tab of the database and the associated resources (meaning, the battler sprites/edits used for these enemies) into my primary project? And if not, can someone walk me through whatever the slow, complicated way is, if one exists? Anything to save me reworking all of these beasties a second time would be deeply appreciated.

2. Membou

Membou Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, you'd probably have to do each tab separately, but it shouldn't be anything too bad. Go first to the project you want to pull from, then select all the enemies you want to copy over. You can then right-click and copy the contents of those enemies' information. Next, go to the project you want to copy to, and go to the enemy tab, selecting a blank entry. Then you can right-click and paste everything you had copied earlier.

If there are customized things that are not in your copy-to project, you may have to import the resources with the resource manager. Depending on the quantity of data you need to copy over, it may take some time, but you shouldn't have to manually input all the fields one by one (hp, mp, exp, etc)

3. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    Wow, I feel a little silly. All it takes is opening a couple of instances of the engine at once to handle that really quickly and easily. Thanks so much, that works really nicely. I can't seem to get more than one entry selected at once, but it's still a darn sight faster than recreating all of them. Thank you so much; that's a huge help.

4. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheUnsungChampion you can also just copy the enemy data from the database file into the other game's data folder.

5. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    @Uzuki How do I do that? That sounds like it might be more efficient if I ever need to do this sort of thing agian.

6. Uzuki

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheUnsungChampion In the folder that the game is in it's the folder labeled data. Just grab the file named enemy and copy it.

7. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    Thanks again. By the way, did my attempt to tag you in that last post work? It didn't highlight blue like your did, so I am thinking it may not have. Then again, it may just highlight blue for the person tagged; I am not familiar with the mechanics of this particular forum yet.

8. Uzuki

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It didn't. That's why I didn't reply sooner. you gotta put the @ symbol down first then as your typing out the name pick it out from the list. That's how it actually activates the tag.

9. TheUnsungChampion

First Language:
    English
    Thank you again. That will save me some trouble down the line. You guys are awesome. This is turning out to be a MASSIVE undertaking; I thought I would be able to bang my game out in a couple of weeks, but it's looking now more like a couple of months, and that's if I devote an insane amount of time to it. I don't care; I am loving it so far. I really appreciate all of the help that the community has given me so far; everyone has been just amazing.

Uzuki likes this.