Portrait Positioning

How do you usually draw portraits for your game?

• facing each other (like in an actual conversation)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • facing the screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • doesn't matter (whichever's easier)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This may seem like a rather weird question, but when you draw your portraits for your game, do you usually like to have them looking directly at the screen as though talking to the player, or have them facing sideways as though talking to each other? I have seen both cases in RPGs (not just visual novels) and I was curious to see your thoughts. 

Usually for me, I like them facing sideways, because facing the screen looks creepy sometimes. 

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I think of them facing sideways, I don't really think of them as talking to each other necessarily, unless more than one is on the screen at the same time. However, I just prefer them looking sideways, though I've never really thought about why. Maybe I've been ruined with Ace's generator characters staring straight into your soul.

RubbyDukky

One of Rem's Many Husbands
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the original portrait size, I wouldn't care much, but if you're using a large face-set, I'd say a mix of both is a lot more interesting and appealing than just having one pose change expressions.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When I think of them facing sideways, I don't really think of them as talking to each other necessarily, unless more than one is on the screen at the same time. However, I just prefer them looking sideways, though I've never really thought about why. Maybe I've been ruined with Ace's generator characters staring straight into your soul.
What do you mean? This is the main character of my new game: Tales of dragon slayer chronicles. Shes a half vampire, very charming. dont discriminate her.

Cunechan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I usually make them either look slightly to the left but sometimes they are viewed by the front. For busts I make them appear on the left side and look at the right side or mirror them. I don't like being watched. Rarely make them face to the right or making them directly look at the player, that's kind of creepy when they are watching you.

All.png

Except this one guy there. I mean this ^^^^^^ guy. Just look at his face. He's like "wth are you even talking...?". 

My people are talking to each other when they have busts. They don't talk to me, they don't even know I exist. That's kind of sad...

aqua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I tend to favor the 3/4 angle when drawing portraits, personally? The default would usually be staring the player down, but I'd illustrate a sad or shameful expression with eyes shifted to the side, or cast downward. Basically, looking anywhere but at the viewer to really drive home the emotion.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
that's kind of creepy when they are watching you.
I feel the exact same way. Especially in those games where all of the characters have ridiculously large eyes (*cough, cough*my shopkeeper*cough, cough*) Sometimes it's hard to know where they're looking, but others, it's worse than dolls eyes when they're smiling while staring straight into you. *shivers* 

Cunechan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel the exact same way. Especially in those games where all of the characters have ridiculously large eyes (*cough, cough*my shopkeeper*cough, cough*) Sometimes it's hard to know where they're looking, but others, it's worse than dolls eyes when they're smiling while staring straight into you. *shivers* 
HA HA! I made these busts once that look as if they would avoid your glance! That's hella weird too when they're talking.

Actors batch1.pngLololol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"Bury me as much as you want in this pain, I'll still rise to hug you again!"

Hero or masochist?

Lol these new tiles are looking cute. :B
Made with Country Woods (Available on the Store) and Country Woods II (w.i.p)
Turns out 4 layers is A LOT.
I noticed random Japanese dialogue in the FF7 remake while playing in English. More than once. Just now I saved a vid where Tifa spoke Japanese after a battle. We all make mistakes lol, this is kinda funny though
I wonder if the new RPG Maker will have a built-in ABS for maps or a light effect system plugin out of the box.
Not having false expectations, but if it has both, then wow. I am gonna party all night. Nah I lie. I will party all night anyway, just searching for a good excuse. :stickytongue:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PasalReturning36