Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
When a dialogue is created, portraits and big pictures first disappear, a couple of instants pass and a new one appears.

It's very noticeable, it looks like a flicker. Even in a completely finished game, the flicker does not go away!

There is no blink if the portraits change on one 8 panel segments, but if the panel changes, flicker occurs!

This is very bad. Can this be corrected?

Video:

Attachments

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I *believe* it's a problem with pre-loading each picture.

There is no blink if the portraits change on one 8 panel segments, but if the panel changes, flicker occurs!
that's the answer, right there.
if you're using separate files, try merging a couple of them into one large file, and reduce it's resolution.
the flickering should stop while handling that one file.

if not, it might be either a video issue, or another process happening in the background *as* the pictures are loaded, which is weird because the process itself doesn't take that much processor power.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Join in one panel you can small avatars. But I want to use large pictures, and they can not be combined into one sheet.

No, no background programs affect performance.

It seems that the maker first deletes the picture, takes a moment and loads a new one. In the previous version (vx Ace) this was not, the pictures were foaming smoothly.

But there is. And in the process of "checking" and already in the finished game.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey! What happened ?! Why does "encoding" destroy files?

Attachments

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Palxan This is an English language site, therefore all posts and updates should only be in English. Please edit your opening post to remove the Russian.
Thanks.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But I want to use large pictures, and they can not be combined into one sheet..
yes they can.

just follow the same procedure as for small avatars, and increase the size of the displayed image, by code.
it has to be there, because I changed my face graphics to 256p, single image.
you'd be doing the same, in reverse.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a very cruel perversion for me.

The third time to recast the whole game ?! No thanks.

I do not want to reinvent the wheel, I want the pictures to change smoothly.
This is a bug of the maker, and it does harm to the game. I just decided that I should tell this to the developers. Maybe they will find a solution.

Well, or they will not care.
In this case, I'll just finish my little game (ignoring the flicker) and I will not start new projects.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

You would not be recasting it, you would just be putting the images into the size they are supposed to be, per the directions. They are not going to fix anything that is due to something being misused, or directions not being followed. Follow the directions for how to set up your images.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I did not change any settings.
All I did was insert the commands (show the picture).
The problem is not the size of the picture. Even if it is done 10 times less, the blink does not disappear.

Avatar characters blink in the same way, if there is a panel replacement.
Very unpleasant bug.

Attachments

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why are you using show picture #1 every time? That will force the system to erase the picture then put the new one in. That's why it is flickering, as every time you change the picture you are telling it to erase the current image (all x pixels of it), and replace it with this new image. Monitors can only draw so fast, so that flicker is due to how fast the monitor can do an erase and a redraw command.

Maybe instead try using show picture #2 for the 2nd picture, then erase picture #1 (in that order). I've had no flicker that way as long as the images are the same size and located on the same x, y location when showing them, as picture 2 is on top of picture 1 now, so the user never sees the erase operation at work until the very last one.

Now, obviously that will have some issues when you switch sides, but with some creativity you can get around it.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the help, I will try this method, but if the pose changes, then for a moment the character will have four hands ... it is necessary to avoid such moments.

Very bad and uncomfortable.
In the previous version of the game (vx ace), such flicker for some reason does not exist with absolutely the same conditions.

I made a small video with a "flicker" of small avatars.
Note that after the first circle has been made, the avatars no longer flicker.

Attachments

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ace is smaller resolution. It would probably still flicker if you had images as big as you do here. In fact, I think it actually does as I seem to recall seeing this on the one game that tested the high res dll for us before it was discontinued as too unstable for Ace.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's not because of the image size!

Watch the video! Standard panels also flicker!

This is some flaw in the MV.

It was necessary to make the program pass all the pictures and avatars before downloading the game and memorize them, in order to speed up the reaction.

But the program seems to load them only on a separate command. It simply lags, because of its internal problems, and not because of the size of the picture.

And for the same reason, the second circle does not flicker!

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Uh, wrong language? Can you fix that please?

Anyways, I was about to add an edit too so will post it here. Old games used to fix this problem by doing what was known as a page flip, where they would do a draw offscreen, then would flip the screen to that new location. We never saw it though. However, that is limited by GPU memory, as it requires enough room to hold 2 copies of the screen at once. Should be a non-issue though with today's RAM sizes unless you really want 2580 x 1962 (or something absurdly high) for your game.

Still...can you make up a demo project demonstrating for this using something that can go in an unencrypted project (maybe a dummy bust or two that you quickly draw, doesn't have to look good), and post it on the MV improvements boards for the dev team to look at? Maybe they can do something to improve the code for erase/draw picture, or maybe try a page flip idea. Just know they are very busy with other tasks so this may be 1 - 2 versions down the line before it can be done.

PS: Most of us can't always watch videos. Bandwidth limitations. But if you are getting standard images to flicker, that sounds like your video card driver is not compatible with RPGMaker MV, as that is a known issue that occurs when the two are not working well.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can not watch a video on Youtube?

This is strange. I thought Youtube - the most international video hosting.
Where can I upload a video to be seen by everyone?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can't. What I said was some people don't have the internet bandwidth to watch videos. It's called a metered internet. I used to have one that capped me at 440K a day, which is like 2 youtube videos. Yeah, it was bad.

But honestly, post a sample project on the MV improvement boards which has this., as that way it will be seen by those who can look into it more (I myself can't do anything about it, so I will not be watching the videos for that reason as there's nothing I can do). Make sure it has no plug-ins and is MV version 1.5, as we are not responsible for issues caused by plug-ins. If you cannot replicate it in 1.5 with no plug-ins, that means a plug-in is at fault and you have to take it up with the plug-in writer, as there is nothing the dev team can do.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for the help.
Well, I'll make a small project without all the modules.

But I do not quite understand where I can send it?
If possible, give me a link.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/rpg-maker-mv-improvement-boards.167/

Make sure to use that and not editor suggestions. Post as much detail as possible (in English), and then include the small project to demonstrate it. This way the developers can look at it and see what might be causing it, and maybe fix it.

Though, remember it is Labor Day here in the US, so it will be a couple days before it is seen by anyone. And I think most of them are focused on other tasks (and in programming it is best to finish the current task then do the next one) so it might be a while. But at least this way it is sent to the right people to fix it.

Palxan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Very many thanks to you!

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Note that after the first circle has been made, the avatars no longer flicker.
because, you're using, different, files!

it's the one thing I told you to fix, early on.
make everything one single file, and call subindexes within that file every time you need to change an expression.

why do you think there's *one* big icon sheet, which doesn't flicker every time the UI is refreshed?
because it is *one* file, that is loaded into memory *once* !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There once was a man whose name was my own
Who tried to make games for console and phone
But after ten years
Some blood sweat and tears
Weird status updates were all that he'd shown.....
I go out once every two weeks. My bf works full-time. Why is it only ever me getting sick? T_T
I've been debating on this as the title screen for a while now...
Ami
--- Dialog Filter ---

Gunner: Yo! my ****** friend?
Hero: Uhh,what happen with your mouth?
Gunner: Huh? what ****** happen with my mouth? i just speech as usual.
Hero: But,your mouth are like the garbage!
Gunner: Hey,what the **** are you say? you want the piece of **** with my ****** Gun!
(Meanwhile,The Dialog Filter In The Option Is Off)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenerezu